Author Topic: Whoops..Too much salt?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline sacwoodpusher

Whoops..Too much salt?
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
I just made pizza dough because the DeMolay group is coming to my house on Saturday. So 3:00 PM on Wednesday to ferment in the fridge until Saturday am when I will take out and shape into 10 10 oz balls. I will be teaching the boys how to make wood fired pizza at 12:00 noon.

10 10 oz. dough balls means 100 oz of dough the hydration will be 65%

100/1.65= 62.5 oz. or 3# 14.5 oz Bakers Pride Pizza/Bread Flour from Sam's.
40.6 or 2# 8.6 oz. 50 degree well water from Wilton, CA
2% salt or 1.25 oz salt
yeast 1 TBL (I never use less.)

Mix dry ingredients in a tub, and add water. Mix with wooden spatula and then knead by hand until all dry is incorporated. (1-2 minutes.) Refrigerate until 3 hours before use when I will divide into 10 balls, and stretch to form a skin.

I accidentally added 2 oz of salt instead of 1.25 oz.....Should I throw it out or go ahead with it? I calculate 3.2% salt.....way too much????

I will use Cento Tomato Puree which is unsalted for the sauce, and slivers of Precious Mozzarella which I buy in 2 lb blocks from Costco.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Whoops..Too much salt?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
low salt sauce cheese and toppings may offset it.  imo 2% is too much for my taste, but ive seen 3.5% and up in recipes with little complaints.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
low salt sauce cheese and toppings may offset it.  imo 2% is too much for my taste, but ive seen 3.5% and up in recipes with little complaints.

I agree, low salt sauce and cheese will offset it until they get to the rim, then you may hear about it.  If it's a small batch I would toss, but it sounds like a large batch.   

Also depending on what type of salt you are using.  3% Sea salt may be fine by most,  3% table salt and I would start over with a new batch. 

You can also take off a small chunk of dough, ferment it at high temps (90-100F).  Let it get a bit poofy and then cook it in a toaster and taste it.  that should give you an idea of how salty it is. 

Chau

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
Thanks all.

It was sea salt. So I will use it provided it rises.

Thanks.

I guess anchovies will not be a topping this batch.

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
Not wanting to sacrifice a whole dough, I took off a piece a little less than a golf ball, put it in a small bowl, and immersed the small bowl in a bowl of 100 degree water. I then fried the dough instead of firing up an oven for such a small piece. I ate the sample, it tasted good, not too salty, but I will go light on the salt in the topping. It did rise and generated frying pan spring. I exposed the crumb with my teeth.

Maybe pizza crusts should be fried?

This was an interesting experiment. I'll try to take pictures of the pizza's on Saturday, but I am not allowed to show the DeMolay boys on the internet for safety reasons.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:36:50 PM by sacwoodpusher »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
Maybe pizza crusts should be fried?

Yes, they should.  Fourth picture down.  Fry in OO and dunk in sugar.  Preferably a coarse sugar, but nobody will complain.  Skip the fruit puree, it isn't necessary.

Just my .02

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12718.msg122701.html#msg122701

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline sacwoodpusher

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
We had the DeMolay pizza making event yesterday. The boys were in the 15 year old range. The "oversalted" pizza crust worked out just fine as regards taste, oven spring, etc. What did not work out, in my opinion, was the workability of the dough. I could stretch it, and had no issues, but the boys did have some difficulties making the dough thin enough. They would stretch the dough, and it would "unstretch", or pull back to its original shape, or they would put a hole into it. I had no problem, but it takes a while to get a feel for pizza stretching. I have to say that a salty crust with an unsalted sauce was delightful. I had them all make Margharetes, but I had no basil, it dies in the garden in late fall, but I did clip off some fresh oregano and thyme from the garden. Nobody chose to use thyme, but they did use the oregano.

I have the same type of pizza making venture next Saturday, but this time it is for the Job's Daughters. (I am the Master of Elk Grove Lodge #173, and my daughter is the Job's Daughter Honor Queen this term.) I will be making about 200 oz. of dough this time, but will be trying a hydration of 75% this time. I think this may work better for the girls. By the way, the flour I use has a protein content of 11.4% according to the Con Agra rep I spoke to. He mentioned that is the protein content IN NORTHERN CA.

pizzapan