Author Topic: Star Tavern Recipe  (Read 7602 times)

Offline hotsawce

Star Tavern Recipe
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »
http://www.rvafoodie.com/?p=2814

For anyone interested converting into percents, go right ahead  >:D

Offline BTB

Re: Star Tavern Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »
Recipe looks very interesting and it would be nice if the formulation were given in weights and percents.  That way I can try out the recipe for one pizza, rather than for 6 pizzas that the recipe given there calls for.  Let's see, 1/6th of . . . . oh forget it.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
That is a lot of semolina, 45%.  I use 20%.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
BTB,

I took a stab at converting the Star Tavern dough recipe to baker's percent format, using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. By way of explanation of my assumptions, I used the King Arthur bread flour (KABF) as a proxy for the (unnamed) bread flour in the Star Tavern recipe. I also assumed that the flour is measured out using the Medium flour Measurement Method as that term is defined in the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. I used this method since most people seem to measure out flour by the scoop method rather than the Textbook method that flour marketers suggest (as also referenced in the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator). For the water, I assumed that one cup of water weighs 8.15 ounces. That is less than the standard weight (8.345 ounces) for a cup of water, but in my experience most people do not measure out a cup of water with that weight. It is more likely to be around 8.1-8.2 ounces. Based on my calculations and analysis, the percent of semolina comes to 49.8% of the combined weight of the KABF and semolina flours. That may seem high, but several years ago I had a NY style pizza at a pizzeria in Massachusetts and the pizza maker told me that he used around 50% semolina in his flour (high-gluten) and semolina blend.

As the Star Tavern dough formulation below indicates, the total dough weight for six dough balls is 48.29 ounces/1369.16 grams. So, one dough ball weighs 8.05 ounces/228.19 grams. Using an 8-ounce or 230-gram dough ball should be close enough. According to the Star Tavern instructions, each dough ball is rolled out to about 14". At 14", the corresponding thickness factor is 8.05/(3.14159 x 7 x 7) = 0.05229. That number should be a pretty good number to use when making any desired number of dough balls. In your case, you may want to consider using your 14" PizzaTools cutter pan. You will also note that I did not use any bowl residue compensation. That means that a single dough ball may actually weigh a bit less than 8 ounces.

Without further ado, here is the final dough formulation:

KABF/Semolina Blend* (100%):
Water (55.1334%):
ADY (0.67638%):
Salt (1.99774%):
Olive Oil (4.83203%):
Sugar (0.71151%):
Total (163.35106%):
838.17 g  |  29.57 oz | 1.85 lbs
462.11 g  |  16.3 oz | 1.02 lbs
5.67 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
16.74 g | 0.59 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3 tsp | 1 tbsp
40.5 g | 1.43 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9 tsp | 3 tbsp
5.96 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
1369.16 g | 48.29 oz | 3.02 lbs | TF = N/A
* The KABF/Semolina Blend comprises 14.84oz/420.66g KABF and 14.73oz/417.5g Semolina; the Semolina flour represents about 49.8% of the combined weight of the KABF and Semolina flours
Note: Dough is for six roughly 14" dough skins, with a corresponding thickness factor of 0.05229; no bowl residue compensation

If you decide to try just one or a few dough balls, you will, of course, have to do the apportionment of the KABF/Semolina Blend, just as you have been doing with your deep-dish flour/semolina blends.

If you, or any other member for that matter, decide to attempt a Star Tavern clone, you may want to make note of any adjustments that you find necessary or useful in making the clone dough. This is something that is inherent with recipes where the flour and water are recited volumetrically. Also, using a different bread flour can also require some minor adjustments.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »
A bit of an outlandish idea here...

So the Star Tavern pies start in a round pan, right?

I'm thinking, if one wants a party sized amount of star tavern pizza, maybe it's possible to use the dough formulation in a regular sheet pan?

So, it may be like a pseudo square pie/lahey style pie but star tavern taste?

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
There is no rule that says a pizza must be round. Many are squares or rectangles and cut into squares. Generally the toppings go all the way to the edge.
Don

A bit of an outlandish idea here...

So the Star Tavern pies start in a round pan, right?

I'm thinking, if one wants a party sized amount of star tavern pizza, maybe it's possible to use the dough formulation in a regular sheet pan?

So, it may be like a pseudo square pie/lahey style pie but star tavern taste?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
I found an article today at Slice, at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/01/how-to-make-star-tavern-pizza-at-home.html, that raises some questions in the article and comments section about the Star Tavern dough, including whether it includes semolina flour.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
If it is crunchy and not crackery, I bet it does contain semolina, although the recipe seems to have a very high ratio.

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
Quite so Peter, You read the whole blog and comments, it is clearly pointed out the original dough was not made in house but purchased from a local baker and contained no semolina flour. Good research Peter! Might be a fine dough recipe none the less.
Don

I found an article today at Slice, at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/01/how-to-make-star-tavern-pizza-at-home.html, that raises some questions in the article and comments section about the Star Tavern dough, including whether it includes semolina flour.

Peter

Offline BTB

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
. . . it is clearly pointed out the original dough was not made in house but purchased from a local baker and contained no semolina flour.

I didn't read or see that.  I probably missed it, but sometimes have problems getting the link to work.  Does this mean that 40 years ago, Star Tavern didn't make the dough themselves?  Ed- I do see in the comments that the original owner did get the dough made elsewheres.  But there's some question whether semolina is included.   

The story is an interesting one by Doug Mulvihill from New Jersey and about his father and his love for a pizza that he very frequently ate at the Star Tavern during a period of 40 years or more.  And prior to his father's retirement to North Carolina, he learned from his long time pizza-owner-friend "how they did it."  And supposedly was told "everything."  I have no basis for disbelieving and will some day soon try the recipe out and judge for myself.  I do remember a passage saying that the current owner (son of the previous owner who gave Mulvihill the recipe) denied that the recipe included semolina, but the passage cast doubt about whether the current owner was being "guarded" over the recipe's secrets (just like the responses I've often got from pizzeria owners myself in the past).

I like and use semolina in pizza crust recipes myself, but have never yet went as high as 45 to 50% of the flour blend containing semolina.  I usually aim for around 20% semolina, but recently did a small deep dish with 35% semolina and it turned out great.  And I remember Tom Lehmann writing that some pizzas are made with as much as 50 to 60% semolina, but have never tried it.  In any event, it would seem to be a nice side-by-side trial here to do one small thin crust with the semolina and one without.  Very preliminarily, it would seem doubtful that one could achieve the degree of crispness attributed to a Star Tavern pizza without the semolina -- at least in a standard home oven.  Maybe some of you (John?) can try such with your special WF ovens.

--BTB
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:17:34 AM by BTB »

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Since I have concerns about copyright restrictions on the Slice blog I don't want to copy and paste the comment, but it is the 12th. comment down on the link Peter gave. Quite illuminating in a funny way.
Don

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »
@buceriasdon: Adam Kuban from Slice here. Feel free to copy/paste comments, etc., from Slice. I don't care as long as it's not the whole entire post. But, you know, fair use, etc.

@Pete-zza: THANK YOU for converting to percentages. Wow.
Hasta la pizza!

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Adam, while you were doing your review, did you get a chance to clock the baking time or notice the oven temp?

While the volumetric measurements, vague flour brand, imprecise water temps/rising temp/rising volume concerns me, I think this recipe's greatest obstacle is the completely open ended baking time (and nondescript stone).

Unless the home chef can match Star Tavern's baking time, there's no guarantee the results will be even close to similar.  A 5 minute pizza and a 10 minute pizza are two entirely different animals.

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »
Adam, while you were doing your review, did you get a chance to clock the baking time or notice the oven temp?

While the volumetric measurements, vague flour brand, imprecise water temps/rising temp/rising volume concerns me, I think this recipe's greatest obstacle is the completely open ended baking time (and nondescript stone).

Unless the home chef can match Star Tavern's baking time, there's no guarantee the results will be even close to similar.  A 5 minute pizza and a 10 minute pizza are two entirely different animals.

Agreed... It is all too vague.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
I thought Doug explained his baking method and dough recipe for his New Jersey style bar pizza in fairly good detail. Lot more detail than most internet recipes. I would give it a try but I have no access to semolina flour.
Don

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
Awesome!  I will definitely have to try this...

Any Jersey folk know where to get semolina flour?  I've casually looked in some stores but haven't spotted it yet...

Looking forward to this!  Thank you Pete-zza for putting it into percents!!

Sean

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
Look for it at Middle Eastern stores.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
Hodgson's Mill Pasta Flour is (I think) what a bag I found in Stop & Shop said in large print, with semolina in much smaller type. They didn't have the brand I got years ago, which I think might have been Enrico's.

Shaw's has it in plastic bags in the Middle eastern section, I don't remember the brand.

- Al

Offline BTB

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Semolina is most recognized with Italian food and I would have said look in your Italian deli.  My Italian deli, Mazarro's in St. Petersburg, FL has it.  Whole Foods carries it.  Many health food stores with various flours would have it.  Matter of fact, most grocery stores in my area carry Bob's Red Mills brand of Semolina flour.

And, of course, you can order it over the internet from Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur, or elsewhere.  And as said on King Arthur's website it's " . . Perfect for pizza and pasta..."  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-semolina-flour-3-lb

--BTB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:24:52 AM by BTB »

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
awesome!  thanks yalls!  i'll be looking out around town for it.  i'm sure it's everywhere and i've just overlooked it.