Author Topic: Artisan Pizza crust? ( Poolish )  (Read 4594 times)

Offline CrazyDman

• I love Pizza, And I am a Pizza SNOB :)
    • Pile -O- Pork
Artisan Pizza crust? ( Poolish )
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of using a Pooligh ( sort of like a sourdough mother )?

I've purchased a good bread baking book and I have learned what a Poolish is. They have a recipe for the pizza using this poolish.

Has anyone ever used one before?

Offline sfspanky

Re: Artisan Pizza crust? ( Poolish )
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
I use poolish in my pizza dough at Apizza Scholls. What questions do you have?

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline CrazyDman

• I love Pizza, And I am a Pizza SNOB :)
    • Pile -O- Pork
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
I use poolish in my pizza dough at Apizza Scholls. What questions do you have?

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls
Hi Brian,

What's the difference from that and the thin crust pizza recipe I all way's use from the main page on this site?

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
Hi Brian,

What's the difference from that and the thin crust pizza recipe I all way's use from the main page on this site?

The thin crust recipe, that I believe you are referring to, is a cracker/laminated style dough. This type of formula relies on long cold (refrigerator) fermentation to develop acids, which in turn give flavor and texture to the final crust. This style has many different variances, so I'm not sure I understand your question fully.

You could use a preferment (poolish, biga, sourdough) in any formula. The advantages of using a preferment is slowly developing acids prior to making your "final" dough. Most use preferments when the "final" dough is going to be baked the same day that the "final" dough is made. Final dough uses flour, water, yeast and salt, where as preferments generally only use flour, water and yeast. Some may use a small amount of salt in a preferment to help keep the chemical reactions "in check", as salt slows down all chemical reactions. Preferments are a % of the final dough and the amount you incorporate affects many variances in the final dough.

If you could be more specific in your question, I would be happy to respond.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »

If you could be more specific in your question, I would be happy to respond.

Hi Brian,

You had previously stated that you used approx 25% of your flour to make the poolish, but that was when you were hand kneading. Is it still the same amount?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Hi Brian,

You had previously stated that you used approx 25% of your flour to make the poolish, but that was when you were hand kneading. Is it still the same amount?

Thanks,

Jeff

I am now only prefermenting 20% of the flour in the poolish. 13 hour poolish using 0.03264% IDY
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I am now only prefermenting 20% of the flour in the poolish. 13 hour poolish using 0.03264% IDY

Brian,

I assume that the 0.03264% IDY is with respect to the weight of the poolish flour. Is that correct? And what is the total formula IDY (the combined poolish IDY and the final mix IDY)?

Peter

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
Brian,

I assume that the 0.03264% IDY is with respect to the weight of the poolish flour. Is that correct? And what is the total formula IDY (the combined poolish IDY and the final mix IDY)?

Peter

Correct.

Total formula IDY is 0.04783%
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
Hi Brian, 

I was fortunate enough to visit your restaurant this past summer and enjoyed your pizza very much. You were also kind enough to talk with me while you were opening some of your skins. I am curious how you are able to maintain the dough without overfermenting during your window of operation. When I have a party and I am making a number of pizza's you really see the window of usability of the dough change. I noticed that you wrap your dough individually which I think helps, but my last batch at the end of the evening the dough was expanding so much that it opened up through the plastic wrap.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Russ

Offline sfspanky

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Hi Brian, 

I was fortunate enough to visit your restaurant this past summer and enjoyed your pizza very much. You were also kind enough to talk with me while you were opening some of your skins. I am curious how you are able to maintain the dough without overfermenting during your window of operation. When I have a party and I am making a number of pizza's you really see the window of usability of the dough change. I noticed that you wrap your dough individually which I think helps, but my last batch at the end of the evening the dough was expanding so much that it opened up through the plastic wrap.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

See my response (#35) in this thread - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11994.msg123707.html#msg123707
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
Brian,

I didn't realize you had that thread going. What a wealth of information! It was extremely helpful. The discussion of winter wheat and also the fact that you roll the dough into the cooler sometimes to retard the fermentation answers my question. Its always a challenge for me to manage the dough during a several hour span of making pizzas, especially when its warm out. My WFO is in the backyard.

Thanks for the insight.
Russ

Offline Trastevere

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
Hi All,
I'm a little late to this post, however I have a very similar question.  I'm using Peter Reinhart's Poolish formula and would like to add that to his Neo-Napolitana pizza dough formula.  I've gotten great results with that formula and have even coaxed more flavor by using the Autolyse method.  I would like to take it further to see how the poolish would effect the flavor.  When I use the this site's preferment calculator to arrive at %'s and weights, my dough is consistently stiff and dry.  BTW, my own math came up with the same results. Below is the output from the calculator.  The additional 17.8 oz of bread flour seems to high and has consistently made a very stiff dough:

Final Dough:
Flour:    506.72 g | 17.87 oz | 1.12 lbs
Water:    176.14 g | 6.21 oz | 0.39 lbs
Salt:    11.15 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2 tsp | 0.67 tbsp
Preferment:    173.5 g | 6.12 oz | 0.38 lbs
Total:    867.51 g | 30.6 oz | 1.91 lbs  | TF = N/A

The preferment is 100% hydrated.  I've tried dialing back on the flour but have not yet gotten a good result.  Any ideas?

Thanks for reading my post.  This forum is great!