Author Topic: potato focaccia  (Read 3749 times)

Offline malvanova

potato focaccia
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
new  and delicious potato flour 15% added to AP 5 roses flour 12% protein, crispy outer with airy moist crumb  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:40:21 PM by malvanova »

Offline Matthew

Re: potato focaccia
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
new  and delicious potato flour 15% added to AP 5 roses flour 12% protein, crispy outer with airy moist crumb  :chef:

One of my all time favorites.  Everyone goes nuts everytime I make this.  I use russet potatoes in lieu of the potato flour & do a blend of Semola rimacinata & Caputo.

Matt

Offline malvanova

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:32 PM »
wow Matt that looks delicious , is semolina rimacinata same  as semolina flour or wheat flour for atta bread, I use a blend of 5 roses or ceresota unbleached preffered and wheat  flour when  I make bread, delicious flavor and open crumb 65% hydration,  what is your hydration on the focaccia, your pic b-4 baking looks exactly like mine at 75-80ish hydration the potato flour is very thirsty I just pour right into my blk pan after mixing and raise for 5 hours, the starter takes its time,  comoldoli is still good  8) .

Phil

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:00:46 AM »
wow Matt that looks delicious , is semolina rimacinata same  as semolina flour or wheat flour for atta bread, I use a blend of 5 roses or ceresota unbleached preffered and wheat  flour when  I make bread, delicious flavor and open crumb 65% hydration,  what is your hydration on the focaccia, your pic b-4 baking looks exactly like mine at 75-80ish hydration the potato flour is very thirsty I just pour right into my blk pan after mixing and raise for 5 hours, the starter takes its time,  comoldoli is still good  8) .

Phil

Hey Phil,
Yes, it is the same.  You're right on the hydration, it's about 70%.

Matt

Offline tngto

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:16 AM »
Malvanova,
Your potato focaccia looks so good!  I have been trying to replicate a potato focaccia that an italian friend made when I was growing up.  Her recipe has been lost and I cannot seem to find anything similar.  When I saw your photos, it reminded me of her focaccia immediately. I am new to this forum and new to making focaccia, so the percentage formulas are a little confusing to me.  Is there any way you might be able to post your recipe for your potato focaccia?

Thank you so much!
tngto

Offline malvanova

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »
Hello tngto this is done w/potato flour or boiled mashed and cooled  to room temp, from the Puglia region Bari and nearby towns

for 2-14''non stick pans well oiled  olive or corn what you like

800 grm.(if using ADY 1kl) flour 5-roses or 00 any brand
   30% active starter of total flour or 1 tsp ADY activated in warm water w/pinch of sugar
   15%potato flour of total flour
   80% water, % of total flour incl. potato flour
   2.5% sea salt of total flour

Mix all ingredients well
   let it sit for 20 min.
   mix by hand until smooth 5-10 min or mixer 5min.+ on high until it no longer sticks to mixer bowl
   divide in 2 well oiled pans not too much just a well oiled bottom
   raise in a 80F room temp until doubled
   add tomatoes  fresh cherry cut up or canned peeled, good fresh dryed oregano light sprinkled, a spiral of oil on top a good amount to cover 80-90% of surface,
   pre-warm oven at 475F cook on middle rack, to your likeness apprx. 30-45min check bottom at 30min 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:57:19 PM by malvanova »

Offline tngto

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:38:35 AM »
Hello Malvanova,
Thank you so much for replying and posting your recipe!  My friend was from Bari, so this must be the exact focaccia I am looking for!  I am so excited to try it, but am so afraid I will mess it up.  If you could answer some questions (okay, a lot of questions), I would so appreciate it. 

Where you say to use 800grm flour 5 roses or 00, I get that. What do you mean by (if using ADY 1kl)?

These percentages are new to me so I will try to re-iterate the recipe in grams and could you tell me if I have it correct?
Starter:
1 tsp ADY
190 grams warm water
240 grams 00 flour

Dough:
450 grams water
Starter above
120 grams boiled mashed potato
560 grams 00 Flour
20 grams sea salt

Assuming I did this correct and I use boiled mashed potato and not potato flour, all percentages are then based on the total flour of 800 grams.  Thus, when you add the ingredients for the starter and dough together, you get 800grm total 00 Flour, 640grm water (80% of total flour), 20grms sea salt (2.5% of total flour) and 120grm boiled mashed potato (15% of total flour). 

If I use boiled mashed instead of potato flour, do I still use 15% or 120grms mashed potato?  If I choose potato flour then I am using 800grm 00 flour and 120grm potato flour in this recipe for a new total flour of 920grms that would adjust all the above numbers accordingly now based on 920grms total flour.  Do you recommend boiled mashed potato or potato flour?

Starter question: If I choose not to use a starter, then you state "or 1 tsp ADY activated in warm water w/pinch of sugar." Are you saying that instead of the starter I can simply activate the ADY for 10 minutes in warm water and add it to the flour and rest of ingredients?

I am so sorry for all the questions, but I have tried so many recipes that either just were not the texture I was looking for or completely failed.  So just to reiterate the rising procedure so I know I have it right; I am to mix all ingredients for the starter and let the starter sit/rise in bowl 20 minutes.  Then after 20 minutes, I mix all the remaining ingredients into the starter and put in pans and then let raise in 80F until doubled.  How long does that usually take?  Should I cover the pans?  I think my friend used to heat her oven and place the pan on top of the stove which was set to 450F and let the dough rise there. Can I do that or would that be too hot?  I am nervous about how to maintain an 80F temperature for the dough to rise.

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post your recipe and if you would, to answer my questions, though there are many :)
Like I said, I am new to all this, so am just trying to learn and so appreciate your help!!  I really look foward to trying this and hopefully doing it right.

Thank you so much again!
tngto
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:58:10 AM by tngto »

Offline malvanova

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
 Hello ,by the starter I meant if you have a sourdough starter already mixed, if using ADY yeast you dont need to make a starter,that would add 200 grams to the mass dough,instead use 1teaspoon of ADY to leavan your dough,and 1kilo of flour giving you 1000 grms. total flour, give or take a few grms.
I use potato flour its easy, haven't figured out the diff. btween mashed or flour some people use flakes maybe matt can help on this he uses mashed potatoes(flour is easy), a bit $, from red mill, find other sources for prices on line need to buy in bulk for better $ value.

% is based on total dry goods.

you can make your own levean with a pinch of ADY,like you discribed, instead of 1tsp of ADY,less yeasty taste, but it takes longer to activate,it must pass the float test.

as far as 80F room temp. place in oven with light on that should take care of that, the dough must double for airy crum. 2hrs with ADY, 5hrs with leavan starter

let the mixed dough rest for 20min.not the starter that takes longer,when preparing the ADY in warm water it must get very bubbly,its a sign of activity.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:11:29 AM by malvanova »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
I have always used boiled potatoes passed through a ricer with good results.  I have never used potato flour so I can't compare the 2. 

Matt

Offline tngto

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Malvanova,
Thank you for the clarifications!  I will try to make it soon. Maybe I'll try both ways, once with potato flour and once with riced potatoes.  We'll see how daring I get :)

I am excited to try this.  If it comes out looking anything like yours, I am sure it will be delicious.

Thank you again!
tngto