Author Topic: Can someone help me find the right ingredients?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline bourbonblues

Can someone help me find the right ingredients?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »
I would like a recipe for a 12",12"(stuff crust),& 16"-24".
I don't like thin crust.I don't like pan thick either,sometimes but not often.
I want to make a crust that is just like dominos hand tossed new kind of crust.
Haven't got to make pizza crust in a while & want to start doing it again.
I just been buying $4.50 world trade philly cheesesteak pizzas(12" I think) & throwing whatever I wanted on it.
The onley thing I can think of dominos crust having different is garlic in the crust.But I have not idea how much or even coming up with something close to it.
Any help is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:06:13 PM by bourbonblues »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Can someone help me find the right ingredients?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
Call Domino's?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
Just kidding.  A very large question you ask.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
bourbonblues,

You can get a pretty good idea as to what is in a typical Domino's pizza in terms of crust, sauce, cheese and toppings from Reply 21 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9854.msg90257.html#msg90257. That information can be supplemented with the Domino's nutrition information provided at its website at http://www.dominos.com/shared/base/pdf/dominos_nutrition_v2.30.00.pdf.

Since no one on the forum has reverse engineered and cloned the Domino's pizzas, your best bet might be to try a Papa John's clone as described in the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.0.html. I make this suggestion because the ingredients used by Domino's for its redesigned basic pizza dough are quite similar to what Papa John's uses (but with fewer chemicals in the PJ dough) and the ingredients are in the same sequence as used by Papa John's. Also, unless Domino's has changed its business model, it also delivers dough to its stores using a twice-a-week delivery system, which is also the delivery system that Papa John's uses. Moreover, from the Domino's nutrition data, it appears that Domino's uses dough ball weights that are similar to what Papa John's uses. For example, a hand tossed baked crust for a Domino's 14" pizza (Domino's "large" size) weighs 556 grams, or 19.61 ounces. Accounting for the weight loss during baking, I would estimate that the unbaked dough is around 21 ounces. If you add 170 grams (6 ounces) of Domino's "New Pizza Sauce", 198 grams (about 7 ounces) of "Regular cheese", and 71 grams (about 2.5 ounces) of pepperoni slices, the total baked weight of a pizza so assembled would be 995 grams, or about 35 ounces. As I noted at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg58196.html#msg58196, my PJ pepperoni clone weighed 35.34 ounces (baked).

In your case, you might modify a PJ clone dough based on your taste experiences with a comparable Domino's pizza, including using some kind of seasoning for the finished crust as used by Domino's and also adjusting the amount of sugar and oil in the dough if your taste tests suggest a need for such changes. You will also need to make a pizza sauce that is close to the new pizza sauce that Domino's now uses. Their sauce and also their cheeses are not the same as what Papa John's uses even though their suppliers may be the same in some cases (as with the cheeses). Obviously, there would have to be differences for marketing and other reasons.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline bourbonblues

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
Thanks Pete-zza!Thats alot of info!I think I will try the papa john dough.
I looked through most of it.But it kinda has me confused.Could you tell me exact measurments you use to make pj dough?Like so many cups of flour etc.brand of flour etc.I am sorry if I skimmed it,but I just seen ingredients mainly with percentages.
The dough is all im after :).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
bourbonblues,

Papa John's has only one type of dough for all of its basic pizzas. I came up with several versions of the Papa John's dough that can be made and used in different time frames. This gives users a great deal of flexibility. The dough formulation that I think comes closest to the real Papa John's dough is the one posted in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg58197.html#msg58197. However, that is one of the harder doughs to make because it calls for up to eight days of cold fermentation. For some reason, apparently because of the long fermentation time, people are likely to have a harder time making that dough than one of the other clone PJ doughs. Consequently, until you are able to successfully make a PJ clone pizza to your liking, I suggest that you try the PJ clone dough formulation as set forth at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59217.html#msg59217. That appears to be one of the more popular versions of the PJ clones I have come up with. Don't be distracted by the baker's percents. Those are there to help people scale the recipe up or down to make larger or smaller size pizzas.

I am very precise and meticulous about my dough formulations and I try to put everything in one place as much as possible so that people don't have to read pages of posts to collect all of the information needed to make the dough. But it is important that you follow my instructions as closely as possible. You will note that I have given volume measurements for all of the ingredients (you may have to round off some of the measuring spoon values), but you will have to follow the instructions that I give for measuring out the flour and water, including the Textbook flour Measurement Method. Otherwise, you are not likely to faithfully reproduce what I have done.

Good luck. If you proceed, I hope you will come back and report on your results. Also, to the extent that you purchase some pizzas from Domino's, you might compare the crusts of those pizzas against one of your PJ clone crusts and note the differences. Those differences might allow us to modify the PJ clone dough to move it closer to a Domino's dough.

Peter