Author Topic: lol, look at this thick style pizza!  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Darth Pizza

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:18:30 AM by Darth Pizza »
May the crust be with you...

Offline CarsonCarnes

Re: lol, look at this thick style pizza!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Ha ha ha...  I actually laughed out loud when I read "is this a pizza or a bunt cake?" ha ha... so funny Darth.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
It's a "Pizza" Cake!  It's really easy to do as well.   :-D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
The biggest obstacle in learning how to make a great pizza is the fact that there are so many web sites and web pages like that one. For all I know, that might be a fantastic "pizza." I'd actually like to try it. But for the author to present herself as a remotely experienced or knowledgeable pizzamaker, that almost angers me.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
FWIW, they are using an oster bread machine to mix the dough  :chef:
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
This is one of those times where I can truthfully say " I've never seen a pizza quite like that." I bet it is filling.
Don

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
The biggest obstacle in learning how to make a great pizza is the fact that there are so many web sites and web pages like that one. For all I know, that might be a fantastic "pizza." I'd actually like to try it. But for the author to present herself as a remotely experienced or knowledgeable pizzamaker, that almost angers me.

As an aspiring "pizza maker," I can only say you hit it spot on. I visited hundreds of sites before I managed to find this one... and even though I found it, I didn't find the forums until a year later! I have been making atrocious pizzas from so-called authorities for several years... it's really too bad this site isn't more noticeable to beginners... then again, the average investment (time, money, passion) most entry-level pizza-makers are willing to commit likely pales in comparison to what you find around here. The learning curve is so steep, that is would probably scare off beginners... maybe there's an opportunity for this site to appeal more to these newbies with tutorials / "lessons," if you will, on how to create a "basic" pizza of each style...

-Clive

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
One place for beginners here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html

As an aspiring "pizza maker," I can only say you hit it spot on. I visited hundreds of sites before I managed to find this one... and even though I found it, I didn't find the forums until a year later! I have been making atrocious pizzas from so-called authorities for several years... it's really too bad this site isn't more noticeable to beginners... then again, the average investment (time, money, passion) most entry-level pizza-makers are willing to commit likely pales in comparison to what you find around here. The learning curve is so steep, that is would probably scare off beginners... maybe there's an opportunity for this site to appeal more to these newbies with tutorials / "lessons," if you will, on how to create a "basic" pizza of each style...

-Clive

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
One place for beginners here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html

That's the page I hit a year before finding the forums... and I was still making terrible pizza.

I don't have to tell you or anyone here that there's waaaaaaay more to making pizza than a list of ingredients!  :D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
As an aspiring "pizza maker," I can only say you hit it spot on. I visited hundreds of sites before I managed to find this one... and even though I found it, I didn't find the forums until a year later! I have been making atrocious pizzas from so-called authorities for several years... it's really too bad this site isn't more noticeable to beginners...
I know, dude. When my hobby of making pizza grew into an obsession about ten years ago, this site didn't even exist. Back then I sought instruction from cookbooks, web sites, and Food Network, but they were all full of it.

Unfortunately, I didn't know they were full of it, and it took me a long time to realize they were full of it. Once I figured out that they were all full of it, I just kept experimenting, making pizza almost every day for years.

Even though I've stumbled onto pizzamaking.com at least several times over the years, I always just assumed it was no different than all the other pizzamaking "resources." Then finally last November or December I looked a little deeper into these boards, and I was blown away.

These boards are so awesome. Before I started participating here, I could make one style of pizza. I was really good at it, but it was the only kind of pizza I knew how to make (sorta). Now, though, I can make at least a few completely different styles of pizza, and I can make 'em good. And I haven't even made much pizza over the last six months.

Shortly after I became a member, I stumbled onto a post about Tommy's Pizza, which caught my interest because I've always liked Tommy's. I've tried to re-create Tommy's pizza at least a few times over the years, but I never came close, and I figured I never would. However, just by reading that post, something made me have to figure out how to replicate Tommy's pizza. And as of yesterday, I pretty much have replicated it. Throughout these last several months, I've received a few tips here and there from people who have followed my progress, but mostly I had to figure it out on my own because only a few other members have ever even heard of Tommy's.

Here's the thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12446.0.html. If you just glance at the pictures, you'll probably be able to see how much I've progressed over the last several months. Even though I pretty much did it on my own, it never would have happened if I had not begun participating on these boards.

So thanks, everyone, for inspiring me by just being here and being passionate about what I'm passionate about.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:27:20 PM by AimlessRyan »

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
lol, Never were more true words spoken about pizza making Clive. :D
Don

That's the page I hit a year before finding the forums... and I was still making terrible pizza.

I don't have to tell you or anyone here that there's waaaaaaay more to making pizza than a list of ingredients!  :D

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
FWIW, they are using an oster bread machine to mix the dough  :chef:

My Oster does a fantastic job too!
 8)
-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
My Oster does a fantastic job too!
 8)

if you take me a picture of your dough pan inside the mixer, i can suggest to you how to modify it to mix 4-5lbs of dough  :chef:
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »
if you take me a picture of your dough pan inside the mixer, i can suggest to you how to modify it to mix 4-5lbs of dough  :chef:

I will send you a PM,but dang I never make that much at a time.But hey cant hurt to learn something.
 :)
-Bill

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
That isn't a pizza! That's simply BREAD with sauce, cheese and pepperoni.

Which begs the question, at what thickness does a pizza no longer qualify as a pizza? I mean can I sauce a 6" loaf and call it pizza? Or have I simply seasoned a bread?

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
lol, mabey they xhould claim its a hybrid chicago/ny style pizza and open up a parlor called Unique Pizzas.
May the crust be with you...

pizzapan