Author Topic: Godfather's Thick Crust Clone - Old or New will do...  (Read 17610 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Godfather's Thick Crust Clone - Old or New will do...
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
what does the evaporated milk do to the crust??

Shaun,

For a discussion of the effects of milk on dough/crust, see the PMQ Think Tank thread at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=407&hilit=#p2027. See, also, Tom Lehmann's PMQTT post at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=407&hilit=#p21490.

Peter

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Jet,

... So, we will have to take a different approach....

Peter

Thanks Peter I will report back. :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Peter!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
I followed the instructions for the PH pan pizza nearly explicitely with the exception of the 10 minute knead time for the KA mixer.  I just couldn't put the dough through 10 minutes in the Bosch.  When it came time to roll out the dough to the 12" dia. (3/4" thick) which was suggested for the proof in the 14" pan, I came out short on dough. Volume of 12" dia., 3/4" thick is 84.78 cu/in.  I got carried away with the rolling pin and had my dough out to 14" diameter (3/8" thick).  Voulume of 14" dia., 3/8" thick is 57.69 cu/in.  I put it in the warm garage for 2 hours where it proofed nearly 50%  It is resting in the fridge since 11:00 pm last nite.  I will bake it off sometime today.

>> Not that there is anything wrong, just reporting<<<
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:29:06 AM by Jet_deck »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
Jet,

The 3/4" height is with respect to about 37 ounces of dough. The dough formulation I posted is for 27 ounces of dough. So, its behavior in the pan during proofing may be somewhat different.

Peter

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
1)  Before proof
2)  After proof
3) Baked
4)  Crumb
5)  Underside

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
Baked at 500* in 14" aluminum "pizza" pan on a stone.  14 minutes, then 5 minutes on broil. 10 oz. cheese, 50/50 Muenster/brick Mozz.  Double sauced with a doctored 6-n-1 concoction.  I just happen to have some Jimmy Dean sausage ready for some protein.

The dough did have a good alcoholish smell after the 24 hour fridgerator proof.  The crust was a perfect golden brown, but was not crunchy or fried tasting.  Which is exactly like the GF pizza slices I reported about above.  I feel that the crust benefitted most (with the evaporated milk) in the taste department.  It had a good earthy taste and wasn't bland tasting.

"This is probably the best pizza you have made" reported the warden.  And it was.  It was stellar. The kids had huge eyes when they saw it come out of the oven.  It would shame most any pan style pizza that I have ever eaten.

Thanks Peter. :chef: :pizza: :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
Jet,

I was worried for a moment when you first posted the photos without comment. I thought that perhaps the pizza looked good but wasn't good. It reminded me of the Fernando Lamas line made famous many years ago on Saturday Night Live: "It is better to look good than to feel good." I actually found one of the Billy Crystal Fernando Lamas parodies at
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZl3gGV4H6c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZl3gGV4H6c</a>
. To borrow a phrase from Fernando, I thought your pizza looked "Mahvelous, absolutely mahvelous".

By any chance, did you weigh the unbaked and baked pizza? And are you going to stop while you are ahead or do you want to move more in the direction of a Godfather's pizza?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:59:29 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »
Thanks.  I'll be on pizza hiatus for a week or so, but I think i would like to cook it again first before changing anything.  I would like to see it proof at "room" temp then straight to the oven.  To see if the dough could be made at noon and cooked at 7:00 for a 'in a few hours dough'

>> Didn't get any weights, barely got pictures<<

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
Jet,

Based on where the yeast is postioned in the pecking order of ingredients at http://vegan.fm/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Ingredient-Statement.pdf, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the dough at Godfather's is made and used the same day. However, with punchdowns during fermentation, it is still possible that they can use the dough the next day, either with a room temperature fermentation or a cold fermentation. Knowing how Godfather's actually does it could provide some useful clues.

Peter

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
lovely looking pizza!  Godfathers was my fav growing up in the Midwest and it looks like you nailed it!  I am going to attempt one now after seeing yours.  Great job and glad you liked it!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
I'm not sure about nailing it, but thanks.  I hope you get to try this soon to see if it is similar to what you remember.

pizzapan