Author Topic: Turntable/lazy susan  (Read 1134 times)

Offline kodonnell

• I Love Pizza!
Turntable/lazy susan
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
We have a Tec (now Solaire) Infrared outdoor Grill. My husband "built" a pizza oven for use inside the grill using pizza stones he purchased from a website.  The oven has one large stone across the top and on the bottom with 2 smaller (2x2x12) stones used for each of the sides. We christened it recently and found that the bottom of the pizza was cooked unevenly(the bottom crust significantly darker than the crust at the front of the oven).  To get an evenly browned crust he says he needs a turntable/lazy susan so he can rotate the pizza as it cooks.  Is there such a product out there? Ideas welcome.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: Turntable/lazy susan
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
Do what they do with wood-fired ovens... get a long skinny metal pizza peel and rotate the pizza several times during cooking.  After the first minute, the dough will set and it can be moved/rotated....

Or work on reducing the hot spots...

Offline kodonnell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Qarl!

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
When I had my grill converted with stones and bricks and such, I had to vary the burner intensity... it was a 3-burner system.

I put the middle to low and the left and right ones to max.  I also double stacked bottom stone where the pizza was (put bricks underneath actually)

Lastly, I let it pre-heat for about an hour and was able to get temps around 750 degrees and cook a pizza in 2-3 minutes.

In my setup the heat came from the burners on the left and right side.  The thermal mass heated up well and you were able to get nice even browning on top and below in about 2:30.

The distance between the top and bottom was just under 5 inches I think.

The trick was to make sure the middle burner was low so that the bottom didn't heat too high and burn before the top cooked.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:06:37 PM by Qarl »

Offline Qarl

• Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »
Also, I used LONG metal tongs to rotate the pizza as it cooked to it would cook evenly.  After the dough set and firmed at about 1:30, then I rotated it 1/3 and again at 2:00, always closing the lid quickly in between.

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/A2556783.jpg