Author Topic: epiphany - finally!!! (photos)  (Read 5066 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
epiphany - finally!!! (photos)
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:59:34 AM »
after 5 months or so on this board, it finally happened!

With the help of the reverse engineering patsy thread my pizza has reached a whole new level.

for the past 5 months or so since i started on this board ive had the worst problems with my dough. The cooked pizza always comes out good but after taking my dough out of the fridge and letting it get to room temperature, it would take me about 30 minutes to stretch the dough out to about 14 inches.

The dough was always super tough and just didnt want to stretch out, it took all my strength of knuckle pushing to get it out right, and even then the result was a dough thick in some parts, thin in others and with uneven and un-round edges.

This week i followed Varasano's patsy's dough mixing techniques (exactly) as listed on his website and the reverse engineering patsy's thread..... and with many other excellent tips from pftaylor and petezza i decided to see if i could produce some better results.. OH MY GOOOOD!

I had been using a recipe with cup measuring instead of scale and would always put all 3 cups of flour in instead of just adding 2/3 flour then adding the rest gradually until the dough felt ready. Also i never used an autolyse stage before but this time gave it a try (20 minute rest after initial mix). Also i mixed on lower speeds this time.. first on mix speed.. then after 20 min autolyse at about 2 or 3 speed (with kitchen aid).. i used to mix on speed #5 the whole time. Also, i added 2/3 flour first.. then added gradually later to the exact point where the dough wouldnt stick to my hands when touching it.
Sure enough i was left with some extra flour when i was done that would have been too much had i just thrown it all in to the dough.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. All i can say is WOW... night and day difference!

When it came time to stretch the dough out i got it to 14 inches (the max my peel will take) in about 1 minute. It felt so soft and easy to work with, LIKE BUTTA!!!

it was also the first time i was able to get the pizza to be almost perfectly round. I know round isnt really important but it means a lot to me personally in order to try to achieve a professional look.

Not only was the dough perfect to work with for the first time in about 50+ pizzas, the taste of the overral pie and the structure of the bread was just amazing.

I cant say enough for what that patsy's thread has done for me and i can't wait to keep testing the techniques further.

Here are some pics from the latest venture.

thanks to ALL who have contributed to the Patsy's thread located here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1053.0.html

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:15:28 AM by snowdy »

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
Re: epiphany - finally!!! (photos)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 03:01:47 AM »
boar's head whole milk mozzarella
fresh mozzarella chunks
ezzo pepperoni
escalon 6 in 1 sauce with penzy's mix and other spices (going to try just whole tomatoes chopped next time)

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 03:03:47 AM »
more...

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 03:05:01 AM »
more...

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 03:05:39 AM »
more...

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 03:06:28 AM »
more...

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:32:49 AM »
Snowdy, pies look great! I had a similar experience tonight myself, epiphany was actually the work I used to describe it to my friends. Photos and some more comments on the pizza raquel thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg11640.html#msg11640

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 05:27:54 AM »
snowdy & duckjob,
Major league props to both of you for your recent accomplishments. I have watched both of you go through the long process of learning. In the area of home pizza making it goes something like this:
1) I make pretty good pie
2) Stumble across pizzamaking.com
3) The members pies aren't that much better than mine
4) What is high gluten flour? A digital scale?
5) I have a lot to learn
6) Experimentation
7) My pie is horrible
8) Help me!
9) Learn to follow recipes & use a stone or tiles
10) Better results
11) Post your first pictures
12) Gradual improvement
13) Incorporate autolyse in your process
14) Grin from here to Cleveland
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 09:26:19 AM »
pftaylor,
You've got those steps of procedure just about right! LOL! I would add one other step (at least in my opinion) right after #1 and before #2: I'd like to make really good pizza everytime I make pizza.

Somehow, I feel if I can get two or three crust recipes really nailed down and make them *consistently* good every time I make them, then I can quit searching for a pizza recipe and instead, reach for my pizza recipe.

Your pie looks amazing, pftaylor. You've inspired me to try the Patsy's recipe and go the less flour route.

Snowdy, great looking pizza. Your closeup photos have inspired me to get out the manual to my Cannon PowerShot A60 and try to learn to take better closeups.

And that is why I come here: for the inspiration!

pyegal

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 11:17:12 AM »
Snowdy,

I can't tell you how happy I am to see you reach the point where you now have greater confidence in your pizza making skills. I knew from your early postings that you were having some doubts about the quality of your pizzas, and when you stopped posting for a while I thought that you may have decided to throw in the towel even though I knew and believed that there is a fine line between success and failure in pizza making. But, to your credit, you persevered, and now it looks like you are here to stay. And, as Emeril likes to say, I think you are now ready to "kick it up a notch" and teach the rest of us a thing or two.  And thanks for mentioning me in the same breath as two of the most anal and passionate pizza makers I know of--pftaylor and Varasano  :). They will be the source of many more epiphanies.

BTW, I only wish you had told us a lot earlier that you were using speed 5 on your KitchenAid mixer. I would have been all over you for that had I known ;D.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 01:40:54 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 11:35:18 AM »
Wow, Looks awesome.

Just one tip:

> then added gradually later to the exact point where the dough wouldnt stick to my hands when touching it.

I might go even a little less flour. My dough will stick to my hands unless I sprinkle it with flour. When I take it out and shape it into balls I have to continually sprinkle flour on it or it will stick to my hands.

But seriously, these pies look great. You can really tell the progress.  Congrats and thanks for the cudos.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 08:09:44 PM »
Great looking pizza!!  8) :D ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 02:55:04 AM »
You did it!  that is some of the best lookin pie I have seen yet.  I can tell from one of the closeups that the dough is moist inside.  I really need to figure that one out.  I hope I can steal some of your luck!
Did you use olive oil in the crust?

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 10:01:44 AM »
mamma-mia...now thats a PIZZA!!! I could taste if from here!! GREAT JOB!

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:23 PM »
Epiphany.  Thats a great word.  When you finally knock one out of the park, thats the feeling.  snowdy, you should be extemely pleased with this effort.  definately a home run pie.

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »
Indeed, I would say you really knocked one out of the park this time Snowdy.  As a matter of fact, I would say that that is one of the finest looking pies I have seen on this forum in the time that I have been a member.  It looks fantastic!  Congratulations.
Friz

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 09:06:39 PM »
thanks for the kind words guys!!!  :D

scott r: yes i used 1 TSP of olive oil in the crust.. also  used next to nothing oil wise when coating the zip loc storage to cool the dough in.

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 10:16:14 PM »
hey snowdy, great looking pie. nice job.

question... what was your oven temp? did you do the thing where you trick out your oven to produce 800 degree temps?

also, from the pictures it seems that you did not do what varasano does in terms of putting the pizza stone on the top rack. if this is the case, what's your opinion on the subject?

thanks!

congrats  ;D

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 04:05:27 AM »
whats up superpizzafreak :D

dude your profile pic rocks hehe.

well ive never tried the stone up top. thats something im gonna have to checkout next time.

as far as oven temp.

i really dont know... this pie was baked at my parents house. Their oven is about a 15 year old normal kitchen oven, nothing special that goes to 550 degrees.

the only thing is that it looks like it must be going way over that.. up to like 700 degrees is what some people from this board tell me it must be reaching due to the color of the crust. i dont have a digital thermometer so there is no telling.

the bad part is my parents want a new oven because they have problems with it... mostly that it takes forever to pre-heat to the desired temp, etc. so if that happens i think ill try to put that puppy out in my garage :D

i have an oven here at home and the coloration is HORRID, it reaches 500 degrees but i cant get browning out of that thing if my life depended on it.

anyways... i need a wood burning oven here at home :) hehe

Offline PizzaSuperFreak

• Pizza SuperFreak! Superfreak!...Rick James, b#@ch!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »
thanks for the props on the pic. i found it on the net. pretty hilarious.

anyway, if you do put your parent's oven in your garage or something, make sure you have an electrician hook you up b/c the plug is a special plug. not your standard 3 pronger. i'm sure you were just joking anyway. besides, if you'll wanna get up there on the temps, you're gonna need some good ventillation.

later!