Author Topic: My new LBE and pies  (Read 33232 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

My new LBE and pies
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Just built my LBE last week and after 3 failed bakes I was able to make some tweaks to the LBE and get a decent bake.  

These are my first sub 2 min bakes.   Bottom was a bit darker than I wanted but I think I know how to tweak that for next time.  

These were very good but I think I like the 3 min bakes better.  I'm still learning how to use this new oven and need to make some more adjustments to toppings and dough.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: My new LBE and pies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
wow, looks freakin' awesome ... seriously.

do you deliver ?  >:D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
wow, looks freakin' awesome ... seriously.

do you deliver ?  >:D

Thanks CB, sorry no delivery service at this time.  Dine in only.  :P

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
I tried  ;D

I still cannot get over the fact just *how* fast those pies baked !  amazing !

Thanks CB, sorry no delivery service at this time.  Dine in only.  :P
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
I tried  ;D

I still cannot get over the fact just *how* fast those pies baked !  amazing !

I clocked these at 1 min 56/57 seconds.    They aren't a minute and half pies but close enough.   ;D  I bet if I didn't char them so much, I might be able to do a minute and a half.   It takes some fast peel work though turning the pies every 10-15 seconds towards the end of the bake.   I think if the heat is channeled properly in the LBE, it can be done. 

Chau

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
Wow,those looks incredible!
 :chef:

Do you rotate the pies any? I may have read to fast and did not see you say it.EDIT: Never mind,I seen the post and you did...Can you post some pics of the LBE set up as well? Just curious.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »
Chau- those pies look ok.  Did you use any oil, can you up the hydration rate any?  Just kidding, they look super.
Let us see that bad boy oven you have created....
Are we allowed to guess on the recipe?  Well, here is my shot.  Caputo, 70%HR (includes 10% starter @ 50/50) 2% salt.  Pinch ADY, bulk at room temps 5 hours.  Balled 2 hours.

I am happy for you to have a new oven none the less.  How close was the "recipe"? 8)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
Thank you Bill and Gene.  :D

Can you post some pics of the LBE set up as well? Just curious.

Bill, the set up is almost identical to my MBE setup with a few changes.  After trying out some new setups with failures I decided to replicate my MBE since it was baking so well.  The only thing that is new is I replaced the sand in the sandbowl with a small firebrick to weight down and hold up a heat deflector.  The heat deflector is to channel and concentrate the heat towards the back.  I'll post some pics later once the LBE cools down a bit. 

Chau- those pies look ok.  Did you use any oil, can you up the hydration rate any?  Just kidding, they look super.
Let us see that bad boy oven you have created....
Are we allowed to guess on the recipe?  Well, here is my shot.  Caputo, 70%HR (includes 10% starter @ 50/50) 2% salt.  Pinch ADY, bulk at room temps 5 hours.  Balled 2 hours.

I am happy for you to have a new oven none the less.  How close was the "recipe"? 8)

Gene - you know I always appreciate your honesty.  I did enjoy these pies but there are a few things  I could do next time to improve upon.   As far as the recipe, you know I love guessing games.   You are close on the flour and hydration ratio.   I didn't use a starter this time and you are way off on the fermentation time.   Do you want to guess again or should I just tell you.   ;D

Chau

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
Chau knowing your desire for a same day fermentation and the love of local ingredients, I will ammend my shot:  Caputo/Cactus flour 50/50, 81% HR (water, aloevera juice, agave nectar).....  Oh hel Chau, just post what you did if you don't mind.  I know you hate 'recipes' and since you have hand kneaded for a year, it will be impossible for the average person to reproduce, but give it up. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Yawn  ::) When you consistently post such magnificent crumbs, it's a little difficult to get excited  ;D

Is this your homemade mozz, made from the Belgioso curd?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:43:45 AM »
Here's the setup...

-Bowl with FB inside to hold up (one of a kind) heat deflector plate.
-sheet metal grill plate to channel heat towards rear
-12" cheapie stone from MBE
-nuts to elevate 16" stone.
-16" stone.

Lid
-aluminum ash catcher to decrease circulating volume.  No foil, no insulation.
-JT's original lid air damn deflector shield thingamajiggy.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
Chau knowing your desire for a same day fermentation and the love of local ingredients, I will ammend my shot:  Caputo/Cactus flour 50/50, 81% HR (water, aloevera juice, agave nectar).....  Oh hel Chau, just post what you did if you don't mind.  I know you hate 'recipes' and since you have hand kneaded for a year, it will be impossible for the average person to reproduce, but give it up. :-D

Gene, you must be confusing me with Bianco.  :-D  The formula is another experimental one, similar to others I've posted.  70/30 (00/hg), 68% HR, CY, 2.5% salt, 1% oil.   The fermentation protocol is that of Roberto's from John's Keste Clone thread.  Thanks John.  0.018% CY with a 28h 70F fermentation.  

Yawn  ::) When you consistently post such magnificent crumbs, it's a little difficult to get excited  ;D

Is this your homemade mozz, made from the Belgioso curd?

Thanks Scott.  You know I try really hard not to be boring but I don't always get it perfect either.   ;)  The first pie contains 2 types of mozz.  I mixed some leftover home made mozz and some mozz sent from NY by a friend.  The 2nd pie was topped with TJ's burrata.   The quick bake time really threw me for a loop here.  Next time I'll have to adjust the amount of sauce and cheese to match the bake time.   In my first trial bake(s), I was getting too much heat to the cheese and not enough to the rim.  Now I'm getting a lot of heat to the rim and not enough to the cheese.  I've made a few adjustments tonight to hopefully balance that out more.  

Chau
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:18:05 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline compatta

• Good pizza haunts you, driving you mad for more.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:29 AM »
Recently, i noticed my pies were not baking fast enough. As i went from my "new york setup" to my "neapolitan Setup", i did
the following:

New York setup
Stone would slowly heat up, with both a bottom deflector and top deflector, and would usually not bake hot enough.
It has the deflector near the heat source and another unintended deflector in my rotation modificaiton.

Neapolitan Setup
This setup can easily go up to 600-700 as it is directly exposed to the flame. As the heat damn mod create heat that is
100 degrees hotter than the front temperature, at 1/4 power i can get my 800 degrees air temps. No "deflectors" at all!
Using a combination of a top stone, heat damn mod, and rotation mod, i was able to cook a pie (just for trys) at 1/4 bayou power
at starting stone temp of 650 ish and they would cook within 2.5 minutes. As shown in the pictures, you'll see a picture of a 1/4'' screw and
aluminum foil all over it. In the current mod, the aluminum foil is not just on the outside near the edge of the upside down pizza pan.
On another photo, you'll see the upside down pizza pan in which the cordierite stone rotates on.

As you definitely lose some heat when you lift up the lid to check on the pie, the rotation mod allows me to rotate the pie every 5-10 seconds to get some even cooking.

Hope that helps.

The true and quintessential version of pie to me is [NEO-New Haven]:
Crust of a New Haven Pizza with the Signature California style that
makes Fresh and Organic Pizza Possible.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
Chau,

Glad to hear you got a new oven to play around with.  Your pies look delicious.  ;D  Looking forward to more of your bakes.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
Chau, Surperb pizzas. Well done! It is a great feeling when one finally gets an LBE creating great pies. I take it you are now baking 12" pizzas?
Don

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
Thank you Norma and Don.  I appreciate it quite a bit. 

Compatta:  Thank you for posting your set up and a picture of your pizza, it looks good.   What type of flour did you use for that pizza?  Did you enjoy it?   I only added the lower deflector to channel the airflow more efficiently towards the rear.  The theory is that it would decrease the amount of deadspace under the stone to help concentrate the heat and heat up the stone faster.

I now realize that it increases heat up times since the heat to the stone is indirect and not direct.   I would be really curious to do a test to see if removing the bottom deflector helps or hinders my heat up times.   I can adapt for a hot stone by loading at a lower temp if it helps cut heat up times.  Currently it is approximately 20m to reach 650F-700F.   

I am curious to know your heat up times and Don's times as well.   Anyone with an LBE that can post their heat up times and temps would be a great help to me.   

Chau

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
Chau - great looking pie!  I don't see how we will be able to take advantage of the "dine in" option, but I have a better idea.  How about several of us pitch in and buy you a ticket to Tampa?  Either Bob or I will host.  Think about it.

Compatta - love the rotisserie!

Dave

Offline doughboy55

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
Pizza looks great and im digging the set up you have there.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
Chau...one of the best looking pizzas cooked in an LBE that I have seen. With your dedication I know they will only get better.

Loving the set-up of your LBE.....the whole LBE phenomenon has a really cool McGuever-ish meets Q (from James Bond) type of appeal to it! --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

buceriasdon

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Chau, As you might recall I have no need for burn diffusion even after I removed the steel plate under my tile. I messed around with diffusion at first but found it only slowed down preheat and wasted gas. Long before all the discussion about steel I realized my pizza bottoms were baking faster than the top because of the conductivity of the steel. Once I removed the plate the bakes became even on top and bottom. I easily preheat to 700 in ten minutes. I get on the average of twenty five bakes out of my 20lb. tank. I however am not trying to achieve a two minute bake as the flour here just won't do it.
Don