Author Topic: Peter Reinhartís Country Pizza Dough & Classic Pizza Dough, Neo-Neapolitan Style  (Read 29864 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Well I dont think Ill be using 100 percent 00 in my home oven any longer. I will def test higher percentage mixes as i get used to the 00.Does caputo flour 00 have an expiration?

forzaroma,

Caputo can be used in a home oven, but there might be steps to help browning.
Here are a few links to where Peter used Caputo in a lower oven setting.  One at Reply 95 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,986.msg13712.html#msg13712 using dairy whey to help brown the crust.
another by Peter adding diastatic barley malt  at Reply 93 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,986.msg14039.html#msg14039
Repy 95 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,986.msg25847.html#msg25847

This is another posted by Wallman at Reply 75 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2088.msg26957.html#msg26957

There are other posts on using Caputo in a home oven if you do an advanced search and just put in the word Caputo.

To answer your question about an expiration date on Caputo flour, the bags I have at home have an expiration date on the top where the flour is opened.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline forzaroma

To answer your question about an expiration date on Caputo flour, the bags I have at home have an expiration date on the top where the flour is opened.

Norma
[/quote]

So what happens if its expired? What would the dough do becasue mine expired and maybe that can be a reason as well to why my dough was not good.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

So what happens if its expired? What would the dough do becasue mine expired and maybe that can be a reason as well to why my dough was not good.

forzaroma,

I wouldn't worry about the flour being expired unless it was expired for a long while.  What was the expiration date on your Caputo flour? What temperature did you bake your pies made with Caputo? Caputo used in formulas for a low oven temperatures is hard to make in my opinion.

Norma

Offline forzaroma

Just checked and it expired in march 2009 wow hah I did not know that. I baked at 550 and even tried the broiler method.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I baked Reinhartís Country dough tonight at home.  The skin was easy to open and the pie baked well on the bottom rack of my oven on the pizza stone.  Since my oven canít get to very high temperatures, I was surprised how well this pie baked. 

The Country Dough was dressed with Creamy Alfredo Sauce, filled grape leaves chopped, and mozzarella.  The taste of the crust was great and the crumb was really moist even though this pie baked for 9 minutes.  The taste of the crust was one of the best in my home oven.  I think this is going to be one of my favorite formulas to use at home.  The dough was so easy to prepare and the final pizza was one of the best in my home oven.

I used the stated amount of honey in the formula that Peter set-forth.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
end of pictures

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Norma,

I'm glad to hear that the Reinhart Country Pizza dough worked out so well for you, and that you did not experience any browning problems using so much honey. You indicated in the dough calculating tool printout that you would be making a 14" size. Is that the size you ended up with?

It also looks like the Pillsbury bread flour was a suitable flour for the Reinhart recipe.

Do you plan at some point to try making a Country Pizza at market, and do you plan at some point, either at home or at market, to try a thinner version of that pizza using the thickness factor I estimated in the dough formulation you used?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

I'm glad to hear that the Reinhart Country Pizza dough worked out so well for you, and that you did not experience any browning problems using so much honey. You indicated in the dough calculating tool printout that you would be making a 14" size. Is that the size you ended up with?

It also looks like the Pillsbury bread flour was a suitable flour for the Reinhart recipe.

Do you plan at some point to try making a Country Pizza at market, and do you plan at some point, either at home or at market, to try a thinner version of that pizza using the thickness factor I estimated in the dough formulation you used?

Peter

Peter,

I was happy with the formula you set-forth.  I had wanted to try it at market first, but decided today to try it at home.  Yes, I did make a 14" pizza, but didnít measure it when I opened the skin.  I just judged by my wooden peel when I thought it was about 14".  The skin might have been a little less than 14" and when I slide it into the oven it even might have gotten a little smaller.  I didnít think I would like the whole wheat in a pizza, but now I do like whole wheat.  I havenít tried whole wheat in a pizza that many times.  I think the only other places I tried whole wheat was on the Ultra-thin thread and in bread I made. 

The Pillsbury flour did work well in the formula.  I had to go to the supermarket later this afternoon and wouldnít you know it, they now have Better for Bread flour.  I had asked at the customer service desk on Sunday if they had Better for Bread flour in their storage room, but from what I could tell, they didnít even bother to check if there was any in there.  The supermarket is a privately own supermarket with only 3 stores in our county.  They are usually good at checking, but here of late, they are more lax.  Usually that store will get in almost anything you want to purchase, as long as it is a reasonable request. 

I do plan on trying this dough at market and might try the TF you estimated next week.  I never would have thought the crust would have been so moist at the longer bake time.  Do you think the moistness in the crust was from all the oil or hydration of the dough?

I will have to see if the crust browns too much at higher temperatures, when I try the Country Dough at market.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Norma
Very, very, very nice pictures.  You make beautiful pizza!!! 
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma
Very, very, very nice pictures.  You make beautiful pizza!!! 
John

John,

Thanks for your kind words.  You were the person that got me interested in Reinhart's doughs.  ;D Thanks for helping me, with your thread, so I could try these doughs.  They are so easy and quick.  I can't wait to try the same dough in my deck oven.  My other dough I made Monday is still cold fermenting.  I am going to watch it and see when I think it is ready to bake.  It is developing slower, which is good.  So far this dough has been good in a WFO and home oven which is great!

Thanks,

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

Norma both your Reinhart pies in the WFO and your home oven look great.  Of course the WFO pie is amazing! Those are great pics.  I so wish I had a WFO, that would be beyond great.  But in So Cal most houses backyards are kinda small so you put one in and there goes a nice percentage of your yard unless you live in Beverly Hills or Pasadena or something and I don't.  But hey you are so fortunate to use a WFO.  Thanks for posting your pics and experience with the Reinhart  and WFO!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma both your Reinhart pies in the WFO and your home oven look great.  Of course the WFO pie is amazing! Those are great pics.  I so wish I had a WFO, that would be beyond great.  But in So Cal most houses backyards are kinda small so you put one in and there goes a nice percentage of your yard unless you live in Beverly Hills or Pasadena or something and I don't.  But hey you are so fortunate to use a WFO.  Thanks for posting your pics and experience with the Reinhart  and WFO!

PizzaEater101,

I also wish I had a WFO, but am lucky to have a friend like Steve, that lets me try out my doughs in his WFO.  Thanks for telling me about where you live and why it would be hard for you to have a WFO.  Thanks also for your kind words about the Reinhart pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I reheated a slice of Reinhartís Country pizza today for lunch.  The crust was nice and soft and the reheated slice was still tasty.  The Classic Neo-Neapolitan dough ball looks like it is ready to be baked tonight, so I guess I will have some more pizza tonight along with some Greek rice soup I made this afternoon.

Picture of reheated slice of Reinhartís Country Dough pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
The Reinhart Classic Pizza Dough pie was made tonight.  The pie was also baked on the bottom rack of my oven on the pizza stone.  In my opinion this pie tasted as good as last night.  The crust was moist and the bottom crust also had a different texture than other pies I have made. The crust had a really good taste. The bake time for this pie was also 9 minutes, in a oven of just a little over 500 degrees F.

The dough I used yesterday and today were only mixed with the flat beater on my Kitchen Aid mixer and then stretched and folded different times.  This is an easy dough to make in my opinion. 

This pie was dressed with my regular tomato sauce, mild white cheddar and pepperoni.  I sure would try this type of formula at home again.

The one pictures is after I gently removed the dough ball from the plastic container.  The last picture is of the crumb torn apart.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
end of pictures

Norma

Offline forzaroma

Norma I really like this dough recipe with a little caputo added in as well. How many ounces were each dough ball?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma I really like this dough recipe with a little caputo added in as well. How many ounces were each dough ball?

forzaroma,

The formula I used and the weights I used are at Reply 55 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127937.html#msg127937 for the Reinhart Classic Pizza dough.

I didnít try any Caputo flour in the formula.  I might try that sometime. 

Norma