Author Topic: poolish for neapolitan...  (Read 9026 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: poolish for neapolitan...
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
Andre,

I am a believer in trying out things to see how they work. So, you should by all means try Larry's recommended formulation. He is one of the success stories of this forum, with a passion for pizza that is almost unmatched. I was most concerned about the ambient temperature where you live. Living in Texas, I have learned how tough ambient room temperature can be on a dough, even at night, where it is not unusual in the peak temperature months, perhaps like your summer, to have outdoor temperatures above 32.2C/90F. I tried to fit everything to the temperatures and timing that you set forth. At a gut level, the numbers look right to me but I also understand how difficult it is to achieve success in the face of all of the variables, most of which are hard to control without using specialized equipment for that purpose.

I went back to the formulation I posted to see how I would convert the IDY to volume measurements using my set of mini measuring spoons. If my math is right, it appears that the 0.07 teaspoon of IDY for the Poolish is equal to a bit over a "pinch" mini measuring spoon. It looks like the 0.08 teaspoon of IDY for the Final Mix is about 1 1/4 of the "pinch" mini measuring spoon. I will go back and note these values in the dough formulation I posted.

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
Peter, the formula worked perfect !! i tested this with a 500g flour test dough and CY, the dough was nice and shine had a perfect feel and strength,  tomorrow ill make pizza in the WFO and will post pics of the process !! thanks again for all the help, and thanks Matt, pizzablogger, norma and thezaman for the xtra help, fomulas and links...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »
Andre,

I am happy to hear that the dough formulation I posted in Reply 36 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13080.msg128439.html#msg128439) worked out for you. However, since that recipe was based on 1000 grams of flour, can you tell me whether you made half of the recipe or the full recipe and then divided the dough in half (but using cake yeast instead of IDY)? Also, can you tell me how you calculated the amount of cake yeast to use? Finally, did you use the protocol I outlined to make the dough, or did you modify it in any material way?

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
well, the weather is i bit cooler this week so i reduced the salt to 2.4%, and i made half of the formula with CY, to calculate the CY i increased the weight by 3 so i used .3g for the poolish and .3g for a 500g of flour (caputo)... lets see how this formula behaves with a 3Kg of flour batch... thanks again Peter !!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
Andre,

Thank you for the additional information. You calculated the amount of cake yeast the way that I expected you would.

Good luck with your 3K flour batch. I'm very interested to see if your results confirm the methods I used to design your recipe on paper. It would help if you keep note of the times you use from the start of the poolish to the finished based pizzas.

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
let me start updating !!

pics are from the process until 10AM today (brazil time)

pics 1 to 6 are the poolish in making process.
pics 7 and 8 are the dough.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:05:39 AM by andreguidon »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
rest of the pics

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
Can't wait to see the results.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
well, here is the result... the pizzas where perfect !! the taste, the texture, the dough was perfect for the neapolitan slap !! check out the pics... these where the pics that i got before every one atacked the pizzas....

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
Andre,

That's really terrific. I was like an expectant father sitting on the edge of my chair awaiting the results.

Did you follow the dough preparation/management protocol that I set out toward the end of Reply 36 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13080.msg128439.html#msg128439 ? All of the numbers were based on that protocol.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Andre,

Your pictures of your pizza do look perfect!  Great job to you for being the master mixer and pizzaioli and to Peter for helping with the formula.  ;D

You both deserve a gold star.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
Nicey! Love the poolish for making a tasty, extensible dough.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Andre that looks great. The crust coloration and lite leoparding is perfect. How would you compare this dough to your usual neapolitan dough?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
Andre,

That pie looks fantastic. I love the look of the crust - inside and out. If it tasted half as good as it looked, it would be hard to ask for much more.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
Larry,

I'm a little late to the party, but I had to say that the pie you posted on the first page of this thread is nothing short of absolutely beautiful as well.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Andre,

That's really terrific. I was like an expectant father sitting on the edge of my chair awaiting the results.

Did you follow the dough preparation/management protocol that I set out toward the end of Reply 36 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13080.msg128439.html#msg128439 ? All of the numbers were based on that protocol.

Peter

Peter,

basically what varies is the salt, yesterday was i little warmer (22C) so the salt level was 2.5%, and because of my schedule sunday night i started the poolish @ 6:45...
i also was anxious, i had 20 people over, but it worked like magic !! thanks Peter !!

Andre that looks great. The crust coloration and lite leoparding is perfect. How would you compare this dough to your usual neapolitan dough?

the dough was better and easier to manage and the finished product looked better and tasted better !!

and thanks to all for the compliments !!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:22 AM »
That crust looks straight out of Naples, Andre.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »
thanks John !

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

the dough was better and easier to manage and the finished product looked better and tasted better !!

and thanks to all for the compliments !!

Andre, the pie looks great.   What is your previous regimen that you are comparing to?  CY and a 12h or so fermentation protocol?  Also what was your previous hydration ratio?  

Can you also expand a bit more on the reasoning for increasing/decreasing salt % depending on ambient temps?  
TIA.

Chau
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:03:16 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
thanks Chau !

i was using 2 kinds of regimen, one was a 12h room temp, and the other was a 24h fridge, both using 60% hydration, 80% of the times using IDY the CY is something that i started using not long ago (6 months)... the salt variable is something that i learned in the VPN training, here in Brazil, my oven is located @ my parents house (i live in a apartment, no WFO in here) and its a outdoor oven, so im always dealing with temp variation, and the salt helps control the proofing time wen there is no temperature control, so hotter days 3% salt and cooler days 2.2%, and adjusting wen the temps are in between...

the CY is being used cause i feel that the dough puffs up better, and the poolish because i feel that i want the taste of the longer (room temp) fermentation but still want the integrity of the caputo flour....

pizzapan