Author Topic: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco with fruit and maybe other ingredients  (Read 1692 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I tried another attempt with the  Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco that I posted about at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.0.html  but used different fruits and some walnuts this time.  I had leftover dough and had put it into the refrigerator to see if it could be used after cold fermenting for one day.  The one-day cold fermented dough did almost behave like the other pie I made.  After dividing the dough into two pieces and rolling a little, the dough was easy to stretch very thin. 

I used fresh apples, fresh blueberries, dates, raisins, toasted ground walnuts, lemon (to keep the apples from browning) and the same cheese I used in my last attempt to fill the two layers of this pie.  I had put the fruit on the stove with a little water and after it came to a slow boil, I added cornstarch to thicken the mixture.  When this pie was almost finished baking I sprinkled some more roasted English walnuts on the top of the pie.

What interested me about this dough that didn’t have any yeast added is after the dough cold fermented for one day, there seemed to be some yeast in the dough from the way the pie baked.  It can be seen on the top of the pie, while it was baking there are tiny bubbles in the top crust.  Even when I started to roll these two doughs, there seemed to be small bubbles in the dough.

I am going to try this dough again tomorrow, but make the dough fresh again and then put some kinds of lunch meats, pepperoni, cheese, maybe some fresh pesto, and other ingredients in the pie.  Does anyone have other ideas to fill the pie?  This was good again, but I think I like the fresh dough approach because it only took a short while to make and only an hour to sit at room temperature before starting to roll.  I wouldn’t use blueberries in this kind of pie again, although they did taste good, because it can be seen on the bottom of the pie, how the blueberries almost bled  though the crust.

I am really liking this kind of pie and see many possibilities to make this with many fillings. I might even offer it at market, if I can get some more good results.

Pictures below

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco with fruit and maybe other ingredients
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »
Norma,

This looks incredible. I know it was out of this world with the fruit and nuts. I bet some thinly sliced par-cooked potatoes, goat cheese, fresh rosemary, and a little S&P would be pretty wonderful too. Or fresh mozz, sun dried tomatoes, and pesto? I don't know why, but this strikes me a something that would be better without meat - and believe me, that's not something I say very often.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:10 AM »
Norma,

This looks incredible. I know it was out of this world with the fruit and nuts. I bet some thinly sliced par-cooked potatoes, goat cheese, fresh rosemary, and a little S&P would be pretty wonderful too. Or fresh mozz, sun dried tomatoes, and pesto? I don't know why, but this strikes me a something that would be better without meat - and believe me, that's not something I say very often.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for saying my recent attempt at Focaccia di Recco looked good.  The fruit and nuts were good, but it almost made the bottom not crisp as well.  Your ideas for filling sound very good!  I wonder about the potatoes though, because if anything has moisture, I could see it also making the crust not crisp as well.  I couldn’t get the kind of cheese mentioned in the other thread, but think, like you any melting cheese or goats cheese might work. 

I just recently discovered what Focaccia di Recco was.  I am already really liking this kind of pizza.  The crust is almost like Greek phyllo, but different.  The dough itself is also so different that it stretches so thin, without much pullback, and is thinner than paper. The dough making is easy and the dough stretching is also easy.  If anyone is interested, on this link there is a slideshow that shows how they make Focaccia di Recco, if you click though the slideshow.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/breadspizza/ss/La-Focaccia-Di-Recco-Illustrated-Reccos-Cheesy-Focaccia.htm

It seem like, from the link Focaccia di Recco and from the History it says this: A little history: Recco's Ristorante Manuelina claims to have invented this cheesy focaccia about a century ago, though Alessandro Molinari Pradelli says it's much older, dating to the times of the Saracen raiders: "...People would flee to safety in the mountains; since flour, oil and locally made cheeses were readily available in their hideouts, they'd make focaccia stuffed with cheese."

I am still deciding whether to add olive oil to the recipe I had used.  I did put olive oil on the table and wet the dough a little before rolling.  Most recipes on the web to say to add olive oil to the dough, but they don’t give baker’s percents.  The finished crust is so tender it just melts in your mouth.

Thanks for your ideas!  :)  I am going to play around with this for a little to see what happens.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
I wonder about the potatoes though, because if anything has moisture, I could see it also making the crust not crisp as well. 

I would cook them most of the way first, and then only use a very thin layer.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
I would cook them most of the way first, and then only use a very thin layer.

Craig

Craig,

I might give potatoes a try in the next couple of weeks.  Thanks for telling me I should cook them first. :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
I would have never thought there was a “pony” in the room, when I first tried this type of pizza on my other thread, but I didn’t get the good results I had on my other thread.  Now I have to figure out what happened.  I decided to used put ½ teaspoon olive oil in the dough today, which I didn’t do before, in my other thread.  I also decided to use different dressings inside the two layers of the dough today.  I went to a little store in Mount Joy, Pa. to purchase some Mascarpone again.  The town of Mount Joy was having a Fire and Ice Festival for three days.  The Fire & Ice Festival is carved Ice Sculptures, “hot wings”, and chili and to get more people to come into the little town to look at the stores that are there.  I purchased the Mascarpone cheese at Green Works.  They are the new store in our area.  I also wanted to look at the Ice Sculptures.  There were many Ice Sculptures in the small town.  There are also 5 independently run pizzerias in and near the small town.  I thought I would include some of the pictures of the Ice Sculptures because they were there when I went to purchase the cheese for this attempt.  The one Ice Sculpture was in front of the one pizzeria.  Because it has been warmer in our area the last couple of days the Ice Sculptures are melting. They were carved by a chain saw Friday night and Saturday.  These are a few pictures of the Ice Sculptures and the one in front of the one pizzeria was a man holding a pizza, but the pizza had melted.

Well, to get back to this attempt.  The pictures of the dough were after I first mixed the dough by hand, after it sat an hour, and before I was ready to open the dough.  The dough opened easily.  The dressing inside the two sheets of dough were cheese, ham, and fresh pesto I had made quickly.  I used my fresh basil I had potted from a cutting last fall (that had sprouted roots)  and now is in my home.  I have been feeding the basil milk kefir along with water.  It still seems to be doing well.  The one picture is of the basil that is being fed with milk kefir and water. I know don’t know if I added too many dressing or if the oil in the dough gave me different results than before.  The taste of the dressings were good in this pie, but the pie didn’t get as delicate as before. 

I guess I will do another experiment with just cheese again. :-\

Picture below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
After thinking over what might have gone wrong in my last attempt, I think the added quickly made  pesto might have fouled-up my last attempt by making too much oil from the cheese that was added to the pesto.  I had used grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and Red Cow Parmesan cheese in the pesto, with an emphasis on the cheese.  

When I was watching the pie bake, at first it looked okay as can be seen from the pictures I posted in the oven.  After awhile, there seemed to be so much oil in the pan and on top of the dough.  At the time I was trying to figure out where all that oil was coming from.  I only very lightly oiled the pan, but did use a different pan than my other attempts.  I was first thinking why would only ½ teaspoon of oil added to the dough give this much oil.  

I think I have the extra oil figured out, but will see if my next attempt is okay.  Here I thought this kind of pizza was going to be easy with no problems, but I guess I was wrong.  There might always be problems when any kind of pizza dough and dressings are involved.  :-D

Norma