Author Topic: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx  (Read 25947 times)

Offline Tman1

Re: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
Quote from:  BrickStoneOven
I always wondered how DDD was shot. Is he there all day or multiple days?

I want to say I read that is was over a couple of days. I remember Jay writing that it was crazy what they needed to do. Maybe it was posts on his Facebook page?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
I want to say I read that is was over a couple of days. I remember Jay writing that it was crazy what they needed to do. Maybe it was posts on his Facebook page?
That's what I was thinking. Because you'll see just Guy and the owner/chef/ex in the kitchen alone cooking then you'll see a full kitchen and packed dinning room.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
luckily I signed on ! I just missed it but plays2 more times so I willl grab it DVR at 1:30am  est  and again at 3:00 am
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
My non pizza cooking neighbor already called to say "that pizza guy you took pictures with already aired.missed it live, but the warden has it recorded.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
Same here, minus the cutting 5 acres part.

I always wondered how DDD was shot. Is he there all day or multiple days?

Actually Jay commented somewhere on how long it took. Lots of takes and retakes. All day or close to it iirc.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
For 7 minutes of footage to air, they shot on different occasions for 4 days: 7am - 2pm for food/recipe close ups on 1 day, 7am - 2pm on the "Guy" day, 3pm - 6pm on the day me and Dino were making pizzas (Did you hear me say "the fire is hot"...really??), and then one more day of 7am - 2pm for "busy restaurant day".  We had to be closed during the filming...so we missed a couple of lunches.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
For 7 minutes of footage to air, they shot on different occasions for 4 days: 7am - 2pm for food/recipe close ups on 1 day, 7am - 2pm on the "Guy" day, 3pm - 6pm on the day me and Dino were making pizzas (Did you hear me say "the fire is hot"...really??), and then one more day of 7am - 2pm for "busy restaurant day".  We had to be closed during the filming...so we missed a couple of lunches.

That's cool, I always wondered how it was done, it's nice to know now. That pasta dish looked so good, my dad was saying he was hungry the whole time. Congrats on everything.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
I finally saw this segment on DDD last night, great looking pies and pasta and Jerry did a great job on camera. Would love to make a stop in for pizza, maybe someday!

scott123

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:42 AM »
Just finished watching it. That was a great segment. It looks like the IT to Pizza transition is a popular one  ;D  That bacon marmalade looks fantastic- it's giving off a strong hot honey/hellboy kind of vibe (sweet, hot, porky).

So, I'm dying to ask, what's with the lack of a bulk ferment?  8-12 hour balled proof only?  ???

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
Yes watched last night. Great stuff! I loved the Marmalade as well, and he has a great  Mixer there ! ;D
I mix for 8-11 min total he said 25min total  ? and I am also unsure on the 8-12 room temp ferment? Dough looked great and stretched out so nice and easy
Also - picky me picked up on the hole (I think) in the one he was working in the oven good to see it happens to even seasoned  pros as well. Nice to see a little snippet of Dino working the oven as well, as I think he is the main pizziaolo there most days. However I have a feeling Jay still gets his hands in there at times. Its a passion for him as well as mentioned several times.  
Great stuff Jay. I wish I were closer for sure  also!!
John
edit- yes the pasta looked awesome as well !! after tasting Jeffs and seeing how Jaydoes it I may give it a go flous few eggs and some TLC yum! off to ebay to find another  gizmo. !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:47:04 AM by JConk007 »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:41 AM »
 I was glad to see that they included other foods besides the pizza.  I think it makes Cane Rosso more of a destination than just pizza.  Great interview by Guy.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »
 that was a great segment. i also noticed his finished dough in the machine looked very different than what i shoot for. it was very informative.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
Don't pay too much attention to the look of the dough for the show...they just wanted specific shots.  The dough out of the mixer wasn't fully mixed for the total amount of time we normal do it.  You basically just have to do what they tell you.  Some of the pizza pics they took were overcooked as they had me holding pizzas in the oven and the crust kept getting browner and browner!

The dough recipe is Dino's from Naples, so I'm not sweating any authenticity or flavor concerns.  We do let it rest in bulk for about an hour before balling it up.  Whatever we don't use that day goes into the fridge and is brought to room temp before we stretch it.  The dough is really light.  We don't use any starter - just flour, water, salt, & yeast.  I'd love to do a 24 hr bulk ferment at room temp then ball for 6-8 hrs, but with our volume of 500-600 per day, it is logistically not possible.  Dough that has never been refrigerated makes fantastic pizza. Room temp is the absolute key for us.  When it's cold dough, the cornicione is flat and dense.

Dino is our lead pizzaiolo, but I can still throw down and do run a lot of shifts still.

PS - no holes in my stretch!!! :)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
but with our volume of 500-600 per day,
Holy crap, that's a lot.

scott123

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:49 PM »
The dough recipe is Dino's from Naples, so I'm not sweating any authenticity or flavor concerns.  We do let it rest in bulk for about an hour before balling it up.  Whatever we don't use that day goes into the fridge and is brought to room temp before we stretch it.  The dough is really light.  We don't use any starter - just flour, water, salt, & yeast.  I'd love to do a 24 hr bulk ferment at room temp then ball for 6-8 hrs, but with our volume of 500-600 per day, it is logistically not possible.  Dough that has never been refrigerated makes fantastic pizza. Room temp is the absolute key for us.  When it's cold dough, the cornicione is flat and dense.

Da Michele does 1000 pizzas a day with an overnight bulk and they're most likely dealing with less space than you are.  You're putting so many man hours into fresh pasta, homemade pancetta, bacon marmalade, but the reality is, like it or not, you're not a bacon marmalade ambassador or a fresh pasta ambassador, you're an ambassador for Neapolitan pizza, and a 1 hour bulk doesn't paint Neapolitan pizza in it's best light.  Even the 2 hour bulk in the VPN literature doesn't do it justice (and goes to show you how mercenary the VPN really is).

With great power comes great responsibility  ;D You've had national acclaim long before this segment. Shortchanging fermentation might be okay for someone that isn't in the spotlight, but, with your fame, you have a responsibility to represent Neapolitan in the best possible light.

And I don't care where Dino is from.  He should know better.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
So you've had our pizza and know its no good?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
Scott you gotta remember that Da Michele makes dough either 2 or 3 times a day and uses two of those within a short time(less then 15 hours I think). The night before they make dough and use it when opening and make dough when opening and use it later that day then again at night for next day. From what I remember of that DM video it was something like that.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Agreed 100% room temp is the way to go ! I do not use starter either, and have   just recently gone to 24 bulk and fridge time   based on the volume required for my weekend Parties with the  mobile.
then I add + 3-6 hrs to come to temp based on all the variables. If I have Back to Back  sat and sun parties dough stays in fridge for another day  or 2 if required with no problem.  As long as its 100% room temp when baking  I do not notice any difference in the cornicione as long as its brought to full room temp as you mentioned.
What a testament to a great oven that Stefano puts out 500 a  day day in day out and no issues! awesome.
BTW your stretch looked fine to me and I am sure you can throw down for sure !!
the Tiny hole I thought I saw was on the one in the oven you ( or someones arms)  were spinning, thought I saw a touch of cheese coming thru I could be dreamin   ??? I am not pickin on you Jay, please don't think that. Just another fanatic like most here. I  Love what you are doing !! again you were my inspiration when your FWI unit was cooking in your driveway, and I watched you at the news station ! bingo a light went off.  I drool over your face book shots everytime you instagram one up there keeps me going and Motivated  for sure!
thanks !!

John
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:26:36 PM by JConk007 »

scott123

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:33 AM »
So you've had our pizza and know its no good?

Jay, that's not what I'm saying.  I have no doubt that your pizza is phenomenal.  You don't sell 600 pies a day unless it's great pizza.

If you're only doing a one hour bulk fermentation, though, it can be better- and, more importantly, it can better represent Neapolitan pizza- or at least represent domestic Neapolitan pizza, which, I believe, in some ways, has higher standards than Naples- I think, because of the fact that it has more to prove. You might find one hour bulk ferments in Naples, but you won't find them here. Neapolitan pizzerias here in the U.S., with their fledgling markets, have far too much at stake than to not go the extra mile.

I'm curious, did the VPN certify you with a one hour bulk ferment, or did you begin with a longer bulk and then reduce it as your business grew?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:29:34 AM by scott123 »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 07:15:31 AM »
Jay, i agree with you, room temp dough made with caputo (W280) is great for 12h fermentation, beats 24-36 fridge by far....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

pizzapan