Author Topic: Umami Bomb #1  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Umami Bomb #1
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »
I created this stuff after reading about on Taste #5 by by Laura Santtini. (Google it).

I've been working on it a while and only recently started using it on pies served to others. I'm posting the recipe here because I make/prefer Neapolitan-style pies, and it's on these that I've experimented using the Umami Bomb.

This recipe uses a 170g can of tomato paste as the base.

This recipe yields approx. 15 fl oz.

Umami Bomb #1

Equipment

Two 12' sauté  pans. One non-stick, one not (I use stainless steel).
Food Processor or blender
Squeeze bottle

Ingredients

170g Tomato Paste
80g EV Olive Oil
80g Porcini & Shiitake Mushrooms
20g Kalamata Olives
25g Garlic
90g Aged Cheese, grated (Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago Vecchio or Pecorino Romano)
2 tsp Vincotto (Balsamic Vinegar's younger sister)
60g White Wine
2 tsp Anchovy Paste
1tsp Sea Salt, plus more to taste
2tsp Sugar (This is to taste, as tomato and olive bitterness may need tempering)

Steps

- Add 20g EVOO in a hot sauté pan (Stainless Steel or aluminum...We need to build a fond.).

- Add chopped mushrooms and 1 tsp salt. Sauté til brown. The salt helps draw out water.

- As the mushrooms finish, add 20g minced garlic and stir til fragrant, 30-40 seconds.

- Remove solids from pan into a heatproof bowl. Cover the bowl (Foil?). Hopefully, there's some brown bits stuck to the pan (Fond!).

- Lower the heat a little, and add 150g tomato paste to pan. Stir, stir stir.
  Watch it carefully. It will start to brown and stick to the pan (More fond!).

- Add 2 tsp Vincotto.

- Add 2 tsp Anchovy paste. Stir, stir, stir.

- Remove as much as you can from the pan, and add to heatproof bowl of mushrooms/garlic.

- Pour 60g white wine in pan to deglaze the fond. When deglazed, add to the mix in the heatproof bowl. All done with that pan.

- Heat Non-stick pan over medium-medium high heat.

- Sprinkle 70g of aged cheese to create/approximate a "cheese crisp" (Google it.)
  Do not stir, as you want it to color. It'll turn golden, and brown a bit on the edges. Some cheesy oil may come from the cheese, and it'll smell great...Like a pizza!

- When it has colored well, add it to the mix in that bowl.

- Place all the cooked ingredients to the food processor or blender.

- Add remainder of raw ingredients.
Tomato paste(20g)
Raw minced garlic(5g)
Aged cheese(20g)

- Whiz it all up with a little more EVOO to make a homogeneous paste. I needed 60g more oil in my blender. A food processor will probably require less.

Add salt and sugar to taste (I needed 2 tsp sugar, as my olives were really bitter good). I didn't need any more salt. (This is the best part, because it's warm, and funky-fragrant)

- Pour into a squeeze bottle.
- Refrigerate. I don't know how long it will keep in the fridge.

I really like the cooked and the raw components together. Ooh, Mami!!!

I hope all this makes sense. I believe this is the first recipe I've ever typed out.

Umami Bomb #2 is next.
Basically the same recipe, with these changes;
- Sugar will be replaced by a whole grated and sautéed carrot.
- Double the mushroom component.
- Replace salt with soy.
- Less oil

Followed by "Upapi Bomb" (With meat!)

I attached a picture. I used no flash to try and show as accurately as I can what it looks like.

Sorta Like an oily rufous turd?

Rufous is a colour that may be described as reddish-brown or brownish-red, as of rust or oxidized iron.

Enjoy

Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Umami Bomb #1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
I have a lot of the ingredients on hand except the olives.  Think I'll skip that.  Gonna call mine UrMama (Your Momma) Bomb.  :-D

Thank you for typing this up Mmmph.

Chau

foolishpoolish

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »
Anchovies, mushrooms...sounds good!  Kinda similar to a concentrated Worcester Sauce or Mushroom Ketchup?

FWIW A few years ago, I did some work for Serious Eats including a recipe (no longer available) which I dubbed "Tomami Paste" :P

It was basically Heston Blumenthal's idea (from his "perfect burger") of reducing the gelatinous material/membranes around the seeds which, apparently, is where most of the umami-rich flavour of the tomato resides. My addition was parmesan rinds, steeping in the sauce during the reduction process to increase the umami quotient. Worked very well - good for adding to regular tomato sauces as a seasoning.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Replacing the sugar with yellow onions slowly cooked down to a super sweet pulp might be nice too.

Thank you very much for posting!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
Just made the Umami Bomb (UrMama Bomb) and I have to give it 2 thumbs up.  Good...really good.

I didn't have all the ingredients so I had to make a few substitutions.

Fresh mushrooms:  I used dried gourmet mushrooms from Costco.   This product is flavorless when rehydrated, but works well powdered and added to UrMama Bomb flavor agent.

Anchovy paste: Used fine shrimp paste instead.  They look and taste very similar.

Vincotto:  Used balsamic vinegar instead

Kalamata Olives:  Didn't have any, so just left it out. :angel:

Added a 1/4 tsp of hot thai powdered chili flakes.  >:D to kick it up a notch.

I also had to add more than 60gm of OO at the end b/c I think the dried mushrooms soaked up much of the moisture from the paste.   Okay by me though b/c I used my good 00.  The more the better.

Flavors that really shine through in the finished paste:  The olive oil, aged parmesan, salt, sugar, chili powder.  The tomato paste taste more like sun dried tomatoes.   The small amount of fresh garlic is perfect.  Gives it that garlic bite without it being too much.

The balsamic vinegar seems a bit lost.  Same with the white wine.   I can't really smell or distinguish the shrimp paste even though it's really salty.  

Also I think my paste came out a lighter color b/c of the white-ish mushroom powder and I did not really toast out the parm cheese really well.  Still excellent flavors though.  Overall all the ingredients came together really well.  Really wish I had some fresh tartine bread to eat with this stuff.   :(  Can't wait to try it on a pizza pie.

Thank you Mmmph for posting this!

Chau

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:01:49 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »
@Chau - Glad you like it. It really adds a dimension to the overall flavor profile that had my guests even more vocal than usual (or was it the beer?).

Yours looks great.

I tried to make something that had a balanced taste between ingredients, and between the raw and the cooked. A few batches of this were made and thrown out to get it where it was posted here.

I also didn't want to make it too Italian. It's good on a burger (especially a cheeseburger  :P) or a steak, or chicken....Geebus, anywhere!

You're spot on about the sun-dried tomato flavor and that the last small bit of raw garlic adds a lot.

The vinegar (vincotto) and wine are important to release flavor compounds that the natural water found in the ingredients cannot, particularly in the tomato component. That was their function...not to taste them too much.

BTW, here's the raw list of foods found when I googled "Umami Foods". It's from this list that ingredients were selected.

Copied and pasted it here.

Parmesan Cheese
Green tea
soy sauce
Tomatoes
Shiitake mushrooms
Enokitake mushrooms
Truffles
Soy beans
Olives
Potatoes
Carrots
Spanish chorizo
Italian pepperoni
Polish kielbasa
German frankfurters

Free Glutamate Levels of Certain Foods (in mgs per 100 grams)
Kelp (Kombu) up to 3200
Nori Seaweed 1400
Parmigianino Reggiano (parmesan) 1200
Soy sauce 800 – 1100
Vegemite 1400
Marmite 1900
Fish Sauce 950
Oyster sauce 900
Green Tea 668
Cured ham 340
Tomato 246

Additional Umami rich foods
Worcestershire Sauce
Sauerkraut
Beer
Red Wine
Pickled herring
Broths and stocks
Roquefort cheese
Corn
Potatoes
Asparagus
Ketchup
Bouillon cubes
ketchup
steak sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Vegemite
Marmite

Cheddar
Emmental
Gruyère
Parmesan
mold-cured blues
yogurt and sour cream (less concentrated source of glutamate, but has Lactic Acic which compliments the glutamates)
Bacon
ham
ham hocks
salt pork
sausages and other cured pork products
English country sausages
French charcuterie
Italian pepperoni
German wursts
Polish kielbasa
Spanish chorizo
Anchovy paste
cod roe paste
bacon
ham
sausage
bologna
salami

Online scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
Don't forget the richest free glutamate ingredient of all: MSG.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »

pizzapan