Author Topic: First attempt at a square pie  (Read 1276 times)

Offline philtester

First attempt at a square pie
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
I'm new here and i don't know all the percentages and stuff for measurements but here is how i made my first one. Fairly quick and easy.

DOUGH:
5 cups of Gold Medal "Better For Bread" flour
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 packets of quick rise yeast
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
table spoon or so of olive oil

I mixed the water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
Put the flour in a big bowl and made a center hole, added the wet mix and started bringing the flour into the liquid with a fork till it started to make a ball and spin in the bowl.
Then i just worked the rest of the flour into the ball with my fingers.

Once i had it kneaded enough so it stopped sticking to my hands i cleaned and dried the large bowl and coated the inside with olive oil, coated the dough ball with olive oil, put it in the bowl and covered with a dish towel and let rise for an hour.

SAUCE:(made the day before and refridgerated)
I put a couple table spoons of olive oil in a small pan over low heat
added a few pieces of garlic and onion and just swirled it around for about 7 minutes

In a larger pan i put a can of puree and mixed the olive oil from the small pan and threw the garlic/onion away.
Over medium heat i started mixing in a table spoon of salt, black pepper, oregano, basil, a bay leaf, a pinch of fennel and a decent amount of crushed red pepper.
I simmered it for 20 minutes and put it in the fridge.

MAKING THE PIE:

I set the oven to broil and and coated a black 12"x18" pan with several table spoons of olive oil
then spread the dough out into the corners and let sit while the oven got hot (around 500)

Next i put a thin layer of sauce on the dough and put it in the oven for 6 minutes then took it out and put a layer of sliced mozzarella, a layer of sauce, then the layer of shedded mozzarella and sprinkled some Parmesan and a little oregano and into the oven again for around 12 minutes.  

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:53:23 PM by philtester »

pizzapan