Author Topic: using a glass baking dish??  (Read 1714 times)

Offline mmac06

using a glass baking dish??
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
Hi everybody,
I've experienced the wonders of Sicilian pizza and have wanted to make it for a long time. I'm going to give it a shot for the first time in a week or so.

I know I'm supposed to use a steel or cast iron pan, and I do plan in investing in one very soon. However, I was curious to know if anyone has used glass and/or ceramic bakeware to cook a Sicilian (similar to the ones in the pictures). It seems like they conduct heat fairly well. What would the results be? I assume not as crispy? Has anyone tried this?

buceriasdon

Re: using a glass baking dish??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
Pyrex works just fine and it's easy to see when the sides are brown.
Don

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
did your oven come with a broiler pan?  I have been told that material is good to about 100 degrees?  -marc

Offline mmac06

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
did your oven come with a broiler pan?  I have been told that material is good to about 100 degrees?  -marc

I believe I do have a broiler pan. What do you mean by "...that material is good to about 100 degrees"?

Offline LD

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
I went to Walmart and purchased the cheapest non-stick cake pans they had and they worked perfectly.  I used Emeril's Chicago Style deep dish recipe, which there is also a link out here as well as Foodnetwork.  I then used the dough calcuator on this site to make it work for my pans at 1.5".  I think the dough recipe made a better Sicilian style then Chicago style pie. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »
I meant 1000  sorry about that,  when I say material,  I mean the coating.  Good luck!

pizzapan