Author Topic: Resturant Depot 00  (Read 5948 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Resturant Depot 00
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
So I did the oven demo for my friend who is bringing in the some WFO to sell at his stone supply yard. used the RD 00 and pies came out great.  00 puff ball confirms temp last pie spread out and popped in Last picoven was not one I would own small barrel type no real insulation over dome or below but I managed a few great pies from it. May be ok for homeowner @ $1800 its affordable although a bit tight Oven I used first then the pies. ( its incomplete ready for facing of choice. Worked hard but they came out good I did 35 pizzas solo! about 2 1/2 hrs total from 1st in.
Note: I went to NJ Landscape expo 2011 and was suprised to see 3 dealers for WFO with complete setups in the booths! Will post over in eqiup site. But I have to say seems as thou the homeowner WFO is ready for takeoff!
John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:47:21 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Resturant Depot 00
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
Chimney is insufficient no cap? most smoke right out the front  But had 850 after close to 2 hrs and whala!  :pizza: Buffallo Mozz., hand crushed Ciao plum tomatoes on Margheritas, Polly O and NY suace  on the meat pies. The Rest Depot 00 flour delicious again!  Last shot was a leftover store store bought dough and the bottom burned. Proof 00 is really preffered in the wfo, and yes it was no more than 25-30 dgrees outside temp so made it very interesting.
John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:22:02 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
JC-- what was the bake time on the RD 00 pizzas?  Were they at all wet, or did they crisp up nicely?  They look Varasanish.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
1st pic under 60 sec very small interior space in oven and a bit too hot, still not super soupy. but when I got the oven  under control ( 1st time in this thing) yes they cooked beautifully (see meat pies) all the way through. I should have crumb shots but it was 40 against 1. so  they did not sit there too long! almost cut some fingers off just trying to slice them  ;D
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:41:41 AM »
John,

Those pies looks delicious!  You did a great job in baking in an oven that you never baked in before.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »
John beautiful Job, the pies look gorgeous! 35 pies! Very impressive.   Did you get to taste any of the pizza?   How long was this dough fermented for and at what temps?

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
Thanks for saying the pies look good. Dough was about 26 hrs. 2 hrs room then fridge for 10 bulk rise then ball and 8 hrs fridge @ 34 degrees 4 hrs room temp the outside 25 degrees! Made for challenge all those different temps but ddid come out great. I tasted about 4 of them very very good!
John

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
that is awesome.. 35-40 pies all by yourself  in an uninsulated oven with a crowd!!! i think you are ready to step up your game!!

i wish i had ditched out on work to give you a hand .
Patrick

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »
 those are very nice looking pizzas. if i was in the market and saw that oven could cook those i would buy one on the spot!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
Yes it works if you work it! and chances are the average home owner wont know whats what to do with it  anyway, And unless you wanted the full kitchen setup for the price I would recommend the forno bravo primavera 70. This oven shown is $1800 and the base section is like $650 so you are at $2350 and you have an oven (I should have shot the bottom underside with the ir but was too busy)  not happy with chimney set up but could be modified easliy. I have Cooked in the P60 and it blew this away and comes ready to cook after break in fires. If you look in the equip thread you can see the $8000 kits I posted hey for that kind of dough I expect  a lot of oven!
My next oven , should I ever move,  will be a lower dome well insulated base and top stand alone unit. Or what the heck I would  go with the stephano ferrara its still less than a car or my scooter
John
Ps I am very happy with my Earthstone oven and have never had an issue I can Put my hand anywhere on the oven when it is 900 degrees and it just warm to the touch.

PPS started thread because of  the quality of the 00 flour house brand from rest depot it is very good! 55lbs. for $27 bucks the buffalo mozzarella they sell is also very good,
John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:18:10 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Vindii

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:10 PM »
I mixed up my first batch of dough with this RD flour yesterday.  Mixes up really nice.  Cant wait to cook them up tonight.

Offline bernie516

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:31 AM »
Im curious, I shop at Restaurant Depot a lot here in souther california and have never seen the 00 flour, would you happen to have a name or picture to associate it with so that i can look out for it the next time i'm there?  Also how would you compare it to the caputo 00?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »
Im curious, I shop at Restaurant Depot a lot here in souther california and have never seen the 00 flour, would you happen to have a name or picture to associate it with so that i can look out for it the next time i'm there?  Also how would you compare it to the caputo 00?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12640.msg128787.html#msg128787. The RD near me just got it about 2 weeks ago. When I saw that he bought some from there I went to check if they had some but they didn't. Some areas carry different things. There are two in my area and one stocks things the other doesn't.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
David, it has been there for a while, so maybe you just overlooked it? I actually noticed it at lest a few months ago and at that point it had been there for a while because there were only a few bags left in the pallet.  There was a second unopened pallet above it, so I doubt they have run out at any point.   I wonder who is buying it all?!?  All I know is that the roma 00 is awesome, and so is san felice, so Caputo is definitely not the only kid on the block any more.   Im looking forward to some shoot outs!  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:15:17 AM by scott r »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
David, it has been there for a while, so maybe you just overlooked it? I actually noticed it at lest a few months ago and at that point it had been there for a while because there were only a few bags left in the pallet.  There was a second unopened pallet above it, so I doubt they have run out at any point.   I wonder who is buying it all?!?  All I know is that the roma 00 is awesome, and so is san felice, so Caputo is definitely not the only kid on the block any more.   Im looking forward to some shoot outs!  

I do recall there being an empty pallet when I went couple days after he posted to check if they had any here. Maybe that's why I didn't see it. When I went couple weeks ago there was half a pallet, I was so tempted to buy a bag. When spring comes around I'll definitely get a bag. By the way where did you get the roma 00 and san felice 00?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
I have bands coming up to work with me from Brooklyn that live near the Collucio store and I ask them to bring me bags of the sf,  the roma you can get around here if you can find a pizzeria owner that will sell to you.   I got it from Marc who did that.     If I were you I would just call roma.   Instead of asking if they do cash and carry just tell them that you are a small catering business and that you don't need any credit.   Tell them you will pay in cash in exact change.   When you order just grab a few other things you need.  If you want to beef up the size of your order contact me and I will grab some stuff too so that you have a decent amount of items.   Its possible that they will even deliver to you since they do service boston.    Roma has an amazing selection of everything pizza related, and is the only place around here to get certain tomatoes that I love.   Not sure if its just that I can't quite get ultra high temps any more, but lately the roma flour is my favorite 00 above all the others.   Good luck David!  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:44:52 PM by scott r »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
I agree Caputo is not the only guy on the block anymore and I will be doing side by side shootouts this season when I fire up my oven. 2 batches same recipe same oven different flour.  I think  these pies came out very good, and I know I can do Better with my oven and warmer outdoor temps. I do feel Caputo is definitely the most well marketed brand. I have not seen any  Supreamo Italiano aprons,or hats floating around yet  :chef: but hey you never know? I Have the stag5 I plan on trying next also. I also found a local supplier cash and carry Friday only!  that will sell me a 25Kg bag of Caputo  00 so I am very happy. TB Continue asap
John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:19:45 PM by JConk007 »

Online scott123

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
John, would you happen to have the ingredient list for the RD 00?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Scott,
Here is bag I will be there soon and will grab a better pic of the ingredients window
John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:45:16 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info Scott. I'll let you know when I order stuff from them. Sorry for veering off topic.

pizzapan