Author Topic: Pizza Making Class at Fred's Today  (Read 3081 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Pizza Making Class at Fred's Today
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »
Fred (SmokinGuitarPlayer), had a Pizza Making Class today at his business.  I knew he was going to baking all the pizzas in his little Italian oven.  I wanted to go to see how a little Italian oven works and also to learn more about making pizza, at Fredís Pizza Making Class.  Steve and I went together to Fredsí class.  Fred did show everyone at his class how to make dough in his Bosch mixer.  He even showed how to ball dough balls, open dough balls, and dress the pies.  Fred said I could take pictures and videos of everything he did.  Steve and I found Fredís Pizza Making Class very interesting.  Fred talked about what he had learned in some of the pizza classes he had attended.  Fred used half Pizzeria flour and half Caputo Rinforzato flour and he had made the dough balls he used today in his Pizza Class 2 days ago and cold fermented them, until today.  The pizzas Fred made in the Pizza Making Class were very good and his Italian oven baked the pizzas fast.  I think his oven was around 725 degrees F when he put the first pizza in the oven to bake.  Most of the pies baked in about 2 to 3 minutes.  The crust was very tender.  Fred made many kinds of pizzas and we got to sample them all.

Steve and I had a very good time today in Fredís pizza making class and I learned a lot of new things about making pizza.  I really like Fredís little Italian oven.  It is a ďlittle gemĒ!  The bottom of the oven has a heating element and the top has an infrared element.

Fred had his Forno Bravo ďThe Primavera60" WFO sitting out in front of his business, but wasnít using it today, because he wanted to teach people that were interested to make pizza in a oven.

This is Fredís website and some of the items he sells.  He has many items for sale in his business.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com  and http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/478.htm

I bought a few items at Fredís business.  I bought Pizzeria flour, Caputo Rinforzato flour, Royal Fig, and Sicilian ďkiss of garlicĒ spread.  I want to try out Pizzeria flour and Rinforzato mixed flour in my deck oven sometime.

Thanks Fred for the great Pizza Making Class and all the free pizza we got to taste.  All the pizzas were great!  You are a great pizza making teacher!

Pictures below from Fredís Pizza Making Class.  I will post the videos as soon as they are done uploading.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pizza Making Class at Fred's Today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  Those pies look tasty as well.   :D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  Those pies look tasty as well.   :D

Chau,

We all had a good time and all the pies were tasty!   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:15:16 PM »
First four videos.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
Next 3 videos

Norma
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:18:08 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
Last of videos

The last little dough ball was opened and put into the oven with no dressings.  It puffed up in the oven as can been seen on one of the pictures above. When Fred took it out of the oven, he cut the dough in half and put Nutella inside and sprinkled powdered sugar on top.  That was a delicious dessert pizza to end the pizza class day.  :)

Norma

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
he seems to be a good guy.  I have ordered quite a few things from him for my primo cooker.  I am surprised he did not use the BGE or the Forna Bravo???  That Forno Bravo is the one I am eyeballing...he is relatively close to me (well, within 300 miles or so), so shipping would not be too bad...those pies look pretty good also!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »
he seems to be a good guy.  I have ordered quite a few things from him for my primo cooker.  I am surprised he did not use the BGE or the Forna Bravo???  That Forno Bravo is the one I am eyeballing...he is relatively close to me (well, within 300 miles or so), so shipping would not be too bad...those pies look pretty good also!

gtsum2,

Fred is a good guy.  Fred does use his BGE and Forna Bravo ovens sometimes to make pizzas, for others to be able to see how to use them, but this pizza making class was geared towards people that didnít know a lot about pizza making.  It was free and Fred has offered the pizza making classes before.  Fred said he uses the same dough he used yesterday in his home oven, too.  He said his home oven only go up to the 500 degree setting, but he can get the temperature a little higher than some with turning on the convection feature.  I was at a class before that Fred made pizza and bread on the BGE at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9727.msg84409.html#msg84409   
Another time I went to another free class at Fredís was when Warren (Unconundrum) had an Artisan bread Baking Demo and made a few pizzas at Fredís in the BGE at reply 11 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10020.msg88262.html#msg88262

Norma

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
WTG, Norma!  That was enjoyable.  You can't help but like Fred.  17 KIDS!  Holy mackerel.  I can't wait to see where you and your runinn' buddy, Steve end up next.  Did his oven smoke a lot?  I had to move my Bakers Pride out to the back porch due to this problem.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
WTG, Norma!  That was enjoyable.  You can't help but like Fred.  17 KIDS!  Holy mackerel.  I can't wait to see where you and your runinn' buddy, Steve end up next.  Did his oven smoke a lot?  I had to move my Bakers Pride out to the back porch due to this problem.

PizzaPolice,

Thanks for saying the pizza class was enjoyable.  :) Fred is really a great pizza making teacher. I only had my little camera along yesterday, so really couldnít give justice to all that Fred had to say in the videos.  Fred has been to pizza making school taught by Tony Gemignani and also classes taught by Peter Reinhart.  He has pictures on his walls with his pictures with Tony and Peter.  It was interesting to hear what Fred had to say about classes he took with Tony Gemignani.  Fred does talk to Peter Reinhart and said maybe someday when Peter Reinhart isnít so busy with his new book, he might come to Fredís.  That would be really interesting to me to meet Peter Reinhart.  I told Fred yesterday I am a tester for Peter Reinhartís new book.  Fred is very funny and had all the people that wanted to learn about making pizza laughing many times.  Fred has many funny stories to tell. I really like the stories about his grandmother having all those children. Whew!  :-D I find it interesting how little flour he uses to coat his bench and also the kind of peel he uses to slide the pie into the oven.  He shakes the peel and any extra flour does drift down.

Fred does have the recipes for his pizza doughs at http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/463.htm  and used both flours used in yesterdays class for his dough.  

Yes, Fredís oven did smoke a lot, even though he does get all the flour off the dough he could.  One time when he was making pizza yesterday, the oven was smoking so much, the front door had to be opened and the side door was already opened as can be seen in some of the pictures.  Fred was afraid the smoke alarms were going to go off.  

Steve (my pizza making buddy) and I do both like to talk about all the different kinds of pizzas and all what goes into making pizza.  Sometimes I get carried away..lol  :-D Steve and I had talked about going to the NY Restaurant Food and Pizza Expo, but life got in the way of that.  Maybe next year.  

Fred did invite us up to his business to try his WFO sometime.  That should be interesting.  ;D

Norma