Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22094 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
Thanks.

I've been looking for more sellers and if you want to try something similar to the FULLY AGED Brick, maybe try Bierkase/Bier Kase/German Beer Cheese. I don't know what HALF AGED Brick would be like... maybe similar to Sharp or Extra Sharp? The one I got I would probably classify as mild, somewhere between Muenster & Provolone when eaten raw. Later I will reheat a couple slices in the toaster oven and add more Brick cheese on top first.

Mark,

I have no idea what half aged brick would taste like.  I never tried any brick cheese before.  I donít know about other members, but I am only trying to get the flavor profile of a Mackís pizza.  If other members might want to try the Bierkase/Bier Kase/German Beer cheese on a pizza they might and maybe they would report back.  Interesting that you would classify the brick cheese you purchased as mild, somewhere between Muenster and Provolone when eaten raw.

I really donít know what you might want to do, but if you posted your pizza over at the Old Pig Victory Forge thread, in addition to this thread, or started a new one, your recent pizza might get more views and maybe might help other members in their searches for the cheese, or cheeses Old Pig Victory Forge uses. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline matermark

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
No, what I meant was: if you wanted to get an idea what the fully aged Brick tasted like, (without having to buy a 2.5lb/5lb loaf) maybe you could buy a couple slices of the Bier Kase from a deli or cheese shop near you if you can't find the fully aged Brick. Some say it's similar in taste. You could even try on a slice of pizza.

I just ate the last 3 slices of the Brick half with more cheese, reheated in the convection toaster oven. I didn't grate it, I used a wire/roller type cheese cutter & cut some very thin slices and it melted well and had more snap instead of the long stretch mozz has. It did still stretch a bit though. I don't know if this is any help with your Mack's clone without trying some mild & aged Brick yourself!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:33:13 PM by matermark »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
Thanks.

I've been looking for more sellers and if you want to try something similar to the FULLY AGED Brick, maybe try Bierkase/Bier Kase/German Beer Cheese. I don't know what HALF AGED Brick would be like... maybe similar to Sharp or Extra Sharp? The one I got I would probably classify as mild, somewhere between Muenster & Provolone when eaten raw. Later I will reheat a couple slices in the toaster oven and add more Brick cheese on top first.

Aged brick will smell and taste a lot more like Limburger, MM.   :)

I'll settle for the half the tray with just brick.   ;)

Offline matermark

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
Aged brick will smell and taste a lot more like Limburger, MM.   :)

I'll settle for the half the tray with just brick.   ;)

I just got an answer from its "inventor!" Here's what he wrote:

"Hi Mark: Only when it is very old is it like limburger. 1 to 4 weeks it is very mild.  6 to 8 weeks it is just right in flavor and is about a medium age. After 8 weeks it gets more and more pungent every week . It reahces peak or full flavor in about 4 to 5 months and this is when it is as strong as a limburger.
      Most people like it about 6 to 8 weeks and I think you will love it also.
                                                                       Thanks, Joe Widmer

I guess inventor isn't the proper word since he didn't invent it but he is the last to use Jossi's original method, as his grandfather has, too, before him.

Pete, all that is left is the last 3 slices of white cheddar half of Old Pig Victory Forge pizza.

He sent a pdf about his Brick cheese, which had this paragraph:

While there are hundreds of thousands of pounds of Brick cheese being made today,
Only a teeny tiny percentage of it is authentic. The rest is merely big factory cheese production that bears
the Brick name but carries none of its distinctive traditional flavor.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:02:15 PM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
No, what I meant was: if you wanted to get an idea what the fully aged Brick tasted like, (without having to buy a 2.5lb/5lb loaf) maybe you could buy a couple slices of the Bier Kase from a deli or cheese shop near you if you can't find the fully aged Brick. Some say it's similar in taste. You could even try on a slice of pizza.

I just ate the last 3 slices of the Brick half with more cheese, reheated in the convection toaster oven. I didn't grate it, I used a wire/roller type cheese cutter & cut some very thin slices and it melted well and had more snap instead of the long stretch mozz has. It did still stretch a bit though. I don't know if this is any help with your Mack's clone without trying some mild & aged Brick yourself!

Mark,

Everything helps with the Mack's thread in trying to determine what kind of cheese they might use.  Did the brick cheese oil off after you reheated with more cheese?  I wonder about the snap back though.  I don't think I ever noticed that with Mack's cheese.

When I am decided about what to try I guess I will try some brick cheese on a Mack's attempt.  It sure can't hurt and sure might be helpful.

Thanks!  ;)

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »
Mark,

Everything helps with the Mack's thread in trying to determine what kind of cheese they might use.  Did the brick cheese oil off after you reheated with more cheese?  I wonder about the snap back though.  I don't think I ever noticed that with Mack's cheese.

When I am decided about what to try I guess I will try some brick cheese on a Mack's attempt.  It sure can't hurt and sure might be helpful.

Thanks!  ;)

Norma

I never paid attention to if it oiled off--it was paper thin. It did expand when heated.

The snap back wasn't really snapping back but more that it didn't stretch a mile as mozz can do. It may have stretched a little & pulled off instead of stretched a lot.

P.S. I never got ccalled back from Sterling...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
I never paid attention to if it oiled off--it was paper thin. It did expand when heated.

The snap back wasn't really snapping back but more that it didn't stretch a mile as mozz can do. It may have stretched a little & pulled off instead of stretched a lot.

P.S. I never got ccalled back from Sterling...

Mark,

Thanks for explaining more!

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
No brick cheddar at Redner's so Ann went back to Weis and scored this New Bridge brand.  Actually, it was $6.06 for .71 lbs. so that eased the pain just a little bit.   :)

Instead of the usual Friday night smokey grill pizza, it looks like another Papa Dino's clone attempt is in order.  LOL   ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:52:34 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »
No brick cheddar at Redner's so Ann went back to Weis and scored this New Bridge brand.  Actually, it was $6.06 for .71 lbs. so that eased the pain just a little bit.   :)

Instead of the usual Friday night smokey grill pizza, it looks like another Papa Dino's clone attempt is in order.  LOL   ;D

Pete,

Wow, I will be anxious to hear about your results with the brick cheese you and your lovely wife Ann purchased.  Did you taste it yet?   :-D  I didn't have time to check out Weis supermarket near me, but will sometime this weekend.  Lol, about the price of that brick cheese, just to try on a Papa Dino's attempt.

Best of luck!  :chef:

Norma

Edit:  Can you see who produces that brick cheese from the package?  I can see it says New Bridge, but am curious if it says more.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:19:29 PM by norma427 »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
Pete,

Wow, I will be anxious to hear about your results with the brick cheese you and your lovely wife Ann purchased.  Did you taste it yet?   :-D  I didn't have time to check out Weis supermarket near me, but will sometime this weekend.  Lol, about the price of that brick cheese, just to try on a Papa Dino's attempt.

Best of luck!  :chef:

Norma

Edit:  Can you see who produces that brick cheese from the package?  I can see it says New Bridge, but am curious if it says more.

Well, somebody did give me some free flour the other day, Norma.   ;)

No, I didn't taste it yet although I'm itching to.  I guess I will tomorrow sometime when I start in on the pizzas.  The label only says it's distributed by Athens International Foods out of Athens, GA so I'd assume it really comes from Wisconsin and is actually made by one of the main producers of brick out that way.

Thanks for the good wishes!!!  We'll see what happens!!!  LOL   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
Pete,

Thanks!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
My friend Bill from Trenton, NJ called me today around lunchtime.  He said he tried the Mandi brick cheese on a pizza for lunch with Great Value tomato sauce doctored up.  He said the Mandi brick did melt nicely when baked on the pizza and did taste very good, but it still wasnít the cheese taste of a Mackís pizza.  I also asked Bill if the brick cheese oiled off at all, or stretched like mozzarella and he said the brick cheese didnít oil off at all and wouldnít stretch when it was hot.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
My friend Bill from Trenton, NJ called me today around lunchtime.  He said he tried the Mandi brick cheese on a pizza for lunch with Great Value tomato sauce doctored up.  He said the Mandi brick did melt nicely when baked on the pizza and did taste very good, but it still wasnít the cheese taste of a Mackís pizza.  I also asked Bill if the brick cheese oiled off at all, or stretched like mozzarella and he said the brick cheese didnít oil off at all and wouldnít stretch when it was hot.

The brick I got oiled off but not as much as the regular cheddar, Norma..  The smell and flavor were dead on, however...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg204904.html#msg204904

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204907.html#msg204907   ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:55:30 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
The brick I got oiled off but not as much as the regular cheddar, Norma..  The smell and flavor were dead on, however...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg204904.html#msg204904

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204907.html#msg204907   ;D

Pete,

I am glad you found the brick cheese that smells like Mack's and even has the flavor of Mack's pizza.   ;D  I wonder why it doesn't oil off as much as regular cheddar.  Did you check the fat amount per serving size?  Do you still have the wrapping the brick cheese came in?

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
Pete,

I am glad you found the brick cheese that smells like Mack's and even has the flavor of Mack's pizza.   ;D  I wonder why it doesn't oil off as much as regular cheddar.  Did you check the fat amount per serving size?  Do you still have the wrapping the brick cheese came in?

Norma

No, I didn't save the label, Norma, but now I know where to get more.   ;)

I'll keep it next time so we can perhaps try to match the New Bridge brand up with the actual manufacturer.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
No, I didn't save the label, Norma, but now I know where to get more.   ;)

I'll keep it next time so we can perhaps try to match the New Bridge brand up with the actual manufacturer.   ;D

Pete,

I did try to look up Athens International Foods, Athens, Ga. And also New Bridge brick cheese last evening and I couldnít find anything about either of them. 

Good to hear you will keep the label the next time to see the fat amount of the New Bridge brick cheese and maybe find the actual manufacturer.  :) I have no idea of fat amounts for any brick cheeses.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
I had talked to another person at Nasonville and was sent some samples of another Nasonville cheddar to try. 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2012, 10:03:20 PM »
I had talked to another person at Nasonville and was sent some samples of another Nasonville cheddar to try.  

Norma

Their whole lineup looks pretty tasty, Norma.  No mild brick, just a couple aged varieties and something they call "Pizza Cheese"...

http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=50

I've seen the Limburger locally at one of the independent supermarkets.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
Their whole lineup looks pretty tasty, Norma.  No mild brick, just a couple aged varieties and something they call "Pizza Cheese"...

http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=50

I've seen the Limburger locally at one of the independent supermarkets.   ;D

Pete,

I already tried the Pizza Cheese from Nasonville a few days ago, and that wasnít the cheese.  Nasonville does have brick cheese, but I donít know how mild it is.  http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=41  They also have a cheddar that is not listed.  I mentioned that before in this thread.  It is cheddar with Asisago.  If the 1 year old aged white cheddar doesnít work, then I might try the cheddar with Asiago.

I am never going to be trying Limburger on a pizza.  That stuff is too nasty.  :-D

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
Pete,

I already tried the Pizza Cheese from Nasonville a few days ago, and that wasnít the cheese.  Nasonville does have brick cheese, but I donít know how mild it is.  http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=41  They also have a cheddar that is not listed.  I mentioned that before in this thread.  It is cheddar with Asisago.  If the 1 year old aged white cheddar doesnít work, then I might try the cheddar with Asiago.

I am never going to be trying Limburger on a pizza.  That stuff is too nasty.  :-D

Norma

You know what they say about Limburger, Norma, that it smells better coming out than it does going in.   :D

Yeah, anyway...  LOL  Both of Nasonville's brick cheeses appear to be aged from the descriptions on the website so I probably wouldn't try those on a pizza, either.  That "German" brick sounds like the really potent one.

Hey, keep us posted!!!  Since you mentioned Asiago, here's the Wikipedia lowdown on that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiago_cheese

I guess the real stuff only comes from the Italian Alps.   ;D

pizzapan