Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22823 times)

Offline matermark

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Mark,

For about 50 years I thought Mack’s was just using a different mozzarella on their pies.  It wasn’t until the boardwalk thread that I found out really how good just cheddar, or a cheddar blend can taste on a pizza.  I also found out how good cheddar, or a cheddar blend can taste on a Greek style pizza or a Sicilian pizza.  The greasy cheddar melts down the sides of the steel pan and makes the most wonderful crispy crunchy edges on the Greek style pizzas and Sicilian pizzas. 

My distributor told me many pizzerias do use some cheddar blended with mozzarella.  For awhile I also added some cheddar to my blend of two mozzarellas for my pizzas at market.  It was good, but a little more expensive that my two mozzarellas.

I think if you would really taste a Mack’s pizza you wouldn’t be able to tell it was all cheddar.  Did you ever try cheddar in your blend of cheeses for pizzas?

Maybe you could look at this link to see what how use your Annato spice. http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/03/i-just-bought-annatto-seasoningnow-what-do-i-do-with-it.html

If you search Annato spice on Google there are many uses for it.

Norma

Norma, thanks on the Annato.

On that pizza I posted last week when the cheese came in, I used mild white cheddar thinly sliced on the one hallf and Brick shredded on the other half. I didn't care much for the cheddar half. Diamond wasn't as choosy! :D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »

On that pizza I posted last week when the cheese came in, I used mild white cheddar thinly sliced on the one hallf and Brick shredded on the other half. I didn't care much for the cheddar half. Diamond wasn't as choosy! :D

Mark,

Maybe you didn't find the right cheddar to try on your pizza, or you might blend it with mozzarella, or with other cheeses.  I am glad Diamond liked the cheddar side.   ;)

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline matermark

« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
Mark,

Maybe you didn't find the right cheddar to try on your pizza, or you might blend it with mozzarella, or with other cheeses.  I am glad Diamond liked the cheddar side.   ;)

Norma  

I still have 8-9oz left, maybe I will blend it with mozz next time. I wonder how much different WISCONSIN White Cheddar is from 'Mild" white cheddar. By the way, my friend in Pittsburgh tried to bring me that 6lb loaf of Eddie's Brick cheese from Mande but she said that they kept telling her that they just do internet sales and wouldn't sell it to her; I called and explained I wanted it for today's Tomato TasteFest and a person that I got connected to said maybe the person who talked to her left for the day (yesterday) and said under the circumstances he would have sold it to her, so I never made any pizzas for the TasteFest today.

On another note, The Buffalo Wing Fest is going on today & tomorrow in Buffalo...

EDIT: I know all about Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer but does anybody remember Iron Beer soda, and is it still available? I sat next to my Dad at the bar in Duryea PA when I was around 7, him drinking Stegmier's Beer and me drinking Iron Beer!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:23:26 PM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:20 PM »
I still have 8-9oz left, maybe I will blend it with mozz next time. I wonder how much different WISCONSIN White Cheddar is from 'Mild" white cheddar. By the way, my friend in Pittsburgh tried to bring me that 6lb loaf of Eddie's Brick cheese from Mande but she said that they kept telling her that they just do internet sales and wouldn't sell it to her; I called and explained I wanted it for today's Tomato TasteFest and a person that I got connected to said maybe the person who talked to her left for the day (yesterday) and said under the circumstances he would have sold it to her, so I never made any pizzas for the TasteFest today.

On another note, The Buffalo Wing Fest is going on today & tomorrow in Buffalo...

EDIT: I know all about Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer but does anybody remember Iron Beer soda, and is it still available? I sat next to my Dad at the bar in Duryea PA when I was around 7, him drinking Stegmier's Beer and me drinking Iron Beer!

Mark,

I have blended different cheeses on different threads and did like some of them quite a lot.  A lot of white cheddar does come from Wisconsin.  Many cheeses come from there also.  Each cheddar has their own flavor profile.  I forget how many cheese producers there are in Wisconsin, but know there are a lot.  I have a list somewhere of the codes of the plant manufacturers, so if I saw a big block of cheddar with a code I could tell what plant, or cheese producer it came from.

Sorry, you couldn’t get some of that Brick cheese from Mandi.

The Buffalo Wing Fest sounds like fun too! 

I never heard of Iron Beer soda, but maybe other members have.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »
Mark,

I have blended different cheeses on different threads and did like some of them quite a lot.  A lot of white cheddar does come from Wisconsin.  Many cheeses come from there also.  Each cheddar has their own flavor profile.  I forget how many cheese producers there are in Wisconsin, but know there are a lot.  I have a list somewhere of the codes of the plant manufacturers, so if I saw a big block of cheddar with a code I could tell what plant, or cheese producer it came from.

Sorry, you couldn’t get some of that Brick cheese from Mandi.

The Buffalo Wing Fest sounds like fun too! 

I never heard of Iron Beer soda, but maybe other members have.

Norma

Iron Beer tasted a little like Dr. Pepper. We are talking over 40 years ago mind you. All I remember was it was in a clear bottle and a brown or copper colored bottle cap I think.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2012, 11:25:29 PM »
Iron Beer tasted a little like Dr. Pepper. We are talking over 40 years ago mind you. All I remember was it was in a clear bottle and a brown or copper colored bottle cap I think.

Mark,

I never heard of Iron Beer in my whole lifetime and I am almost 66 years old.  In our area it was always Pa. Birch Beer soda.  Maybe if you post about the Iron Beer under other food topics someone can help you.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
Mark,

I never heard of Iron Beer in my whole lifetime and I am almost 66 years old.  In our area it was always Pa. Birch Beer soda.  Maybe if you post about the Iron Beer under other food topics someone can help you.

Norma

[Just watching the news, who'd have thunk it was 88 in Buffalo, NY in September!]

Maybe it's an "Old Forge area" thing. ;D I will take note of that "other food topics" forum, thanks. Maybe PWPete remembers it...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »
Mark,

This is the board for Off-Topic Foods.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,58.0.html

Here are a few articles about Iron Beer soda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironbeer

http://www.weirdsodareview.com/2009/06/ironbeer-soft-drink.html

Where it can be purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/Ironbeer-6PK-12-OZ/dp/B0000GIOS4/?tag=pizzamaking-20

If you Google “where to find iron beer soda”, without the quotes, you will get other hits.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »

I am sorry if I have mislead anyone on the 1 year old aged Nasonville cheddar being the right cheddar for a Mack’s or Manco & Manco pizza.

After doing more research on Nasonville cheddars, I have discovered there are different aging periods that seem to apply to a Mack’s cheddar.  What I have found is Nasonville can aged the cheddar for different amounts of months and also distributors can age the Nasonville cheddar.  I am not exactly sure, but think the distributors for Mack’s and Manco & Manco do age the cheddar for them for 3 to 4 months.  The cheddar can also be aged for up to 6 months, but then it becomes harder to handle (because it becomes oiler and softer). 

I know members probably won’t want to purchase Nasonville cheddar and then try to age it for 3 to 4 months. 

I also found out from Nasonville that they have different ovens to test out their cheeses and different ovens do bake their cheddars differently.  I had asked why my two attempts (in my mom’s oven and in my deck oven) make the same cheddar taste different.

I am supposed to be getting a shipment of 3 packages of the 1 year old age cheddar and one 1 package of the yellow 1 year old aged cheddar.  I will do a couple more experiments, but think my next experiment will be to used KABF and VWG for the crust.  I am satisfied with the crust using Kyrol flour, but know different people might not be able to purchase the Kyrol flour.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Thanks for the Iron Beer links, I've seen those before. My friend in Pittsburgh said she asked a beer distributor there before she came to the TasteFest and they didn't know anything about it.

I thought someone on this or the other thread mentioned a 28-inch pizza, here's a link, there are a few places out here that make them, here's one:

http://www.dealchicken.com/buffalo-ny/17465

Looking at that link, I see another difference out here: Most pizzerias start the pizza in a pan and then after a few minutes of baking they take it out of the pan and put it on the oven floor/deck.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
I received my cheddars from Nasonville today around lunch time.  There were sent 2 day FedEx Express with two small gel refrigerants, but all the cheddars were very warm.  It is very warm in our area right now.

I didn’t call Nasonville today, but do think they carry 3 month old aged white cheddar in the cheese shop.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »
This is my bill I got from Nasonville for the 4 packages of cheddars I purchased.  I had first talked to Julie in the cheese shop and wanted to know how much the shipping would be, but she transferred me to Brenda since I was sent samples before.  I asked Brenda how much the shipping would be, but she never told me and said she would ship out the four cheddars I ordered.  It can be seen how much Nasonville charged me for shipping.  I never asked for 2 day air.  I called Nasonville today to tell them I didn’t think the shipping charge should have been that high.  I was transferred to Brenda, but had to leave a voice mail around lunch.  She didn’t get back to me today.  I called Bill from Trenton (because he has also ordered cheese from Nasonville before) and also had problems with Nasonville charging different shipping charges.  He said I also was charged too much for shipping.  I am going to try and call Brenda again tomorrow.

I just want anyone to be aware of asking about shipping charges first if anyone want to purchase any of the Nasonville cheeses.  I want to purchase 2 packages of the Nasonville 3 month old aged white cheddar for a different Mack’s attempt, but won’t purchase any if the shipping charges stay so high. 

Bill has ordered some of the Nasonville 3 month old aged white cheddar and will let me know how it bakes on his Mack’s attempt later this week. 

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »
Maybe you should try the Cracker Barrel "Aged Reserve." It's a white cheddar in a black wrapper. I think it's Cracker Barrel's top of the line cheese and not always available everywhere.

Aged Reserve (White) – Carefully Cured for a Rich, Distinct and Balanced Flavor

"In the meantime, be sure to visit their Facebook page for a coupon for $1 off the purchase of any 2 Cracker Barrel products.  What a great opportunity not only to save money, but to try some of their all new flavors!"

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimageslarge/OTF492289L.jpg
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:41:33 AM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:21 AM »
Maybe you should try the Cracker Barrel "Aged Reserve." It's a white cheddar in a black wrapper. I think it's Cracker Barrel's top of the line cheese and not always available everywhere.

Aged Reserve (White) – Carefully Cured for a Rich, Distinct and Balanced Flavor

"In the meantime, be sure to visit their Facebook page for a coupon for $1 off the purchase of any 2 Cracker Barrel products.  What a great opportunity not only to save money, but to try some of their all new flavors!"

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimageslarge/OTF492289L.jpg

Mark,

I am sure Cracker Barrel “Aged Reserve” white cheddar in a black wrapper is good, but right now what I am trying to do is find the right Nasonville cheddar.  I think Mack’s and Manco and Manco gets 3 months old aged Nasonville cheddar and it is aged at another place other than Nasonville.  I am not exactly sure about this, but think so from the researching I have done.

I am not going to start purchasing different brands of cheddars just to try, because each one tastes different when the cheddars are baked on a pizza.  I did try a lot of cheddars and blends so far.  Purchasing the different cheddars also gets too expensive.

Thanks for your help!  :)

Norma 

Offline matermark

« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
Sorry, I didn't think you tried that one and it's available to almost anybody for as low as $2.50 when on sale at local supermarkets, much easier and cheaper than paying $19 for shipping and still not having the right thing or correct taste! Maybe you could have compared it and said if similar or not, then others can try it much, much cheaper than Nasonville.

Is it confirmed that Nasonville is the cheese available in NJ boardwalk area and to Mack's?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »
Sorry, I didn't think you tried that one and it's available to almost anybody for as low as $2.50 when on sale at local supermarkets, much easier and cheaper than paying $19 for shipping and still not having the right thing or correct taste! Maybe you could have compared it and said if similar or not, then others can try it much, much cheaper than Nasonville.

Is it confirmed that Nasonville is the cheese available in NJ boardwalk area and to Mack's?

Mark,

You don’t have to apologize for posting about the Cracker Barrel cheddar.  If any member wants to try it, I am sure it would be a great cheddar to try.  I did try Cracker Barrel cheddar, but not the kind you posted about.

I am not positively sure, but think it is confirmed that Nasonville cheese is available in the NJ boardwalk area.  I have done extensive research on that.  I also talked to cheese brokers.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
I called Nasonville again this morning and talked to Brenda.  I told her I had asked her what the shipping would be for the 4 packages of 1 year old aged cheddar and she never told me what the shipping would be.  I asked her if some kind of adjustment could be made, because if I had know they were shipping Fedex 2 day air and had know what those charges were I wouldn’t have purchased the cheddars.  She said she would write off the shipping charges.  She also said since the weather is getting cooler they now can ship the cheeses by ground.  I ordered two packages of the 3 month old white aged cheddar to try next.  Brenda said they would ship the two packages of 3 month aged white cheddar out next week.

I am not sure what to do about an experiment for this coming Tuesday, unless I try the one year old aged yellow cheddar.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
My friend from Trenton called me around lunch time and told me his attempt at a Mack’s pizza didn’t turn out right in the cheese taste.  He had purchased Nasonville’s 3 month aged white cheddar.  That is the cheddar he tried on his attempt for lunch.  He had tried the medium cheddar from Nasonville before and said that wasn‘t the right cheddar either.  My friend and I are starting to wonder if Nasonville sells exactly the same cheddar in their cheese store as they sell to distributors.  My friend said his attempt with one part 1 year old aged Nasonville white cheddar with 2 parts regular mild cheddar (almost any variety)  turned out the best.

I really don’t think we ever get the mystery solved of the cheddar for a Mack’s pizza.  :(

Norma   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »
I received the medium white cheddar packages from Nasonville Cheese Store yesterday.  I had ordered two packages of cheddar and received three.  I guess I will wait and see how much the bill is.  I don’t know what is up with them not getting orders right.  I don’t know if I am going to make another attempt at a Mack’s pizza this coming Tuesday or not.  I am also undecided whether to blend the Nasonville medium cheddar with another Nasonville cheddar or not.  This cheddar is supposed to be the 3 month old aged white cheddar.  I didn’t taste it yet.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Just to follow-up on my last post.  I wasn’t charged for three packages of cheese from Nasonville.  I was just charged for two.

Norma

EDIT:  For anyone that is interested the 3 month old age Nasonville white cheddar was 2.80 a package and the shipping for the packages was 11.01.  I am not sure if I was charged for shipping 3 packages or not.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:36:54 AM by norma427 »