Author Topic: new oven floor first bake  (Read 4757 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: new oven floor first bake
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
The Four Gand Mere french oven ( four grandmothers) is also nice  low dome. cost extra to raise it? will post site later
John
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:30:22 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
Thanks John,   its hard to find em low.    I was surprised that there was a prefab oven on ebay last month that was super low (neapolitan height).  It was brought into the us many years ago through a fireplace store in Texas.   Unfortunately they aren't bringing them in any more.   They said it was so long ago that they didn't even have any contact info for the Italian company, so I was unable to even get the name of the brand.    
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:09:14 PM by scott r »

Online shuboyje

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »
Scott,

The 14" dome on the Napoli is spot on IMHO, but a few things do concern me.  

1.  The door is too tall.  Way above the 63% ratio found to be ideal.  I don't think the 63% is nearly as critical or exact as many do, and from what I've seen most ovens built in Naples use standard size doors regardless of the dimensions.  That said for my oven I would take too short before too tall, but that's me.
2.  The oven in the animation on that page is shaped nothing like any of the three ovens in the specs, so which shape do you actually get, the specs or the real life picture?  My guess is the picture which looks much more hemispherical.
3.  Those kits don't include the chimney like fornobravo does.  Factor that in and they go from pretty expensive to very expensive IMHO.
-Jeff

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
Scott,

The 14" dome on the Napoli is spot on IMHO, but a few things do concern me.  

That dome height is close the the dome height of mine at 12.43".

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
[quote author=JConk007 link=topic=13551.msg135033#msg135033 date=1302645338
Wow what a Great little oven !! thanks for posting
I am happy to see the 2 layers of the insulating board why not right? I dont think there can ever be too much insulation, thats the least expensive part. ( maybe not the board) However I am curious why you
[/quote]

john,
The extra 2" of insulation below was the fortunate result of the need to add 2 more easy inches to the deck height.
Seemed like a quick and lightweight method of raising it up.
 In hindsight, i might have gone another 2 inches.
Although I had an extra roll of the insulation for the dome, I stopped at one layer, both for aesthetics, and I was assurred that one layer would do it.
Sure enough, snow will not melt on the top, even after many hours of firing
I think I still have an extra roll of the insulation, somewhere, if anyone needs it.
Keep in mind that when I built this oven, I had no idea what I was doing, and spent at least an hour or more of planning and researching for every hour of construction.
As they say, these mistakes _ are_ chiseled in stone .
Perry

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »
Thanks
Perry me too!
Years ago I had no clue either,  dome hieght , door opening, refractory materials.... Just wanted it and went for it as per plan. Sounds like your oven is working out just fine. no mistake in my opinion I was just curious?

scottr heres the link for four grand mere http://www.fourgrandmere.com/en/manufacturing_of_the_wood_oven/
also I like the Pavesi oven also made in italy the 48" is nice and low

any thoughts on the rotating WF ovens both these guys offer them  What next?

The popular big manufacturers seem to have similar designs and their "authentic italian" many of these ovens are made in Ca. right? and  I hear some are planning and doing production  in China ?

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
I tossed in a some new Earthstone 1.5" x 12" x 12" refractory tiles to get a feel for whether this is going to be a good idea for my oven. The deck was dirty so the joints aren't flush, but I've got a feeling this may work out well for pizza. But the rack I use for roasting meats no longer fits so I may cut the tiles and/or rack down some.

Regardless, two of these tiles are destined for my kitchen oven for Tartine bread.

I hope to try some ideas this coming week.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:12:58 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:14 PM »
thanks guys, you are all a great help!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
Very cool Bill!  same as your  floor tiles so you will really to be able to tell with your experience and relationship  with your oven if the additional hieght makes any difference?  I think it may help out a bit with the pizza. I am still planning on getting the fire brick $0  its a price issue for shipping those babies!  I  think I will have similar results as you with the "lift kit"  hoping tomorrow
suspense is building!
john

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »
I've been playing around with these new bricks. I think I may keep 2 of them permanently in my kitchen oven for bread baking. I can place the other 2, arranged front to back, in the WFO. Or I might dare stacking the two of them in the center of the WFO to get them even closer to the dome - a 10-11" pie on a 12" surface; cover your ears if I should overshoot the runway!  ;D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2011, 08:09:59 PM »
Bill,  welcome to the typical home pizza makers dilemma.   You wont miss, I promise!   

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 09:33:22 AM »
Bill,  welcome to the typical home pizza makers dilemma.   You wont miss, I promise!   

Thanks, Scott, but clearly you are unaware of my knack for messing up - big time - especially if someone is watching. Tell you what: I'll have the camcorder running when I try it. It could go viral on YouTube like all those videos of guys accidentally hitting themselves in the groin.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »

Scott, you were right:

Pimp My WFO

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
great!

pizzapan