Author Topic: NY Made With Bouncer Flour  (Read 6832 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: NY Made With Bouncer Flour
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
You know what Bill....I'd like to try your pizza on maybe a nice July day...with some beautiful red tomatoes out of the garden and a side of jalapenos.  Is it OK to do that to a New York style pizza...cuz that's what calls to me!!

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
John,

I don't think there is any wrong way to make your own NY style pie.Besides,alot of pizza shops have many many different type of pies sitting out on display,waiting for customers to order slices.There are so many varieties of toppings and sauces these days,your creativity is your only limit.
I say go for it.

8)

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
John,

I don't think there is any wrong way to make your own NY style pie.Besides,alot of pizza shops have many many different type of pies sitting out on display,waiting for customers to order slices.There are so many varieties of toppings and sauces these days,your creativity is your only limit.
I say go for it.

8)

+1.  Well said.

Offline spbrez

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
definitely nice looking NY pies!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
definitely nice looking NY pies!

Thanks!
 ;D

The more I learn about pizza,the more I want to share with others.I still want to try other flours as well,and will for sure post about them in the future.I love the smell of my kitchen when I make Pizza,it smells just like a NY pizzeria when you first walk in the door. Like the febreeze commercial,I would go outside,and come back in just to smell the aroma all over again.
 :-D
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »
I had a birthday party for my teenage daughter and had to make dough for two,18 inch pizzas.
I used 100% bouncer flour and it had an overnight cold rise.

The dough was still a bit too cold when I opened it up for the first pie.However,it had insane oven spring all around when baked.On top of that,it was baked on a 18 inch screen,that sits on top of a smaller stone.
The dough did fight back some because it was still cold.It took a few minutes to slowly open to size.

The rim was amazing light even though it was large.Since it was so light,it was not chewey or leathery at all.In fact,after it cooled off a few minutes later,it became crispier with a slight crackle to th crust rim when holding or biting down.The bottom was 1/2 to 3/4 flop though,can't get the bottom crispy with a screen yet.

The second pie,the pepperoni,I tried to get the rim to be smaller and get the bubbles out,since I did not want so much rim rise.It still came out puffy all around,without being too much.

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
Bill,

Nice looking pies a super looking crumbs!  :)  Nice job.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
Many Thanks Norma!
 8)
The kids enjoyed it so that made all worth it.I just didn't expect how it turned out and will play around with it more.I have made doughs with this flour that I never posted about,sometimes a hybrid of another AP mixed in,and never had it turn out like this with ease.
 :)

-Bill

scott123

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
Wow, that's an explosive crumb.  I know it's not a competition, but that could be more explosive than one of Chau's pies  >:D I hope you documented everything you did with as much detail as possible so you can recreate this.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »
Wow, that's an explosive crumb.  I know it's not a competition, but that could be more explosive than one of Chau's pies  >:D I hope you documented everything you did with as much detail as possible so you can recreate this.
Thanks!

Thats gonna be a slight problem,I don't know what the heck I did or what took place.I got pictures,thats about it.
I'm no Chau,I feel like a pinch hitter,that has a .198 batting average,and got lucky enough to hit a 550 footer Home Run on an easy pitch.
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
I had a few more pics to share,they are not the best quality but I think good enough.I wanted to show how thin I made the crust and how much the rim exploded.One pic,the closeup inside,I tried to show it, blew up all the way to the other side.While it was the largest rim of the slices,the others were a bit smaller,but still very explosive inside,with alot of webbing strands.

The cold dough rim did not look big to me at all,when shaping the dough.In fact,a few times in the past,I got a dense,thick,sponge holed looking rim,that did not rise much,yet it had more mass.Very chewy,leathery rim was the result,not light or airy like this one.

I do want to try this again,but a smaller rim,with the same sort of explosive airy crumb.

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Bill, excellent looking pie.  I think you hit gold with that particular flour, formula and baking method.  Man that's making me pizza hungry!

I want to try this Bouncer Flour sometime but don't know where to get it.  So far I'm satisfied with Gold Medal Better for Bread flour but would like to try Bouncer and compare.  I think around here though that King Arthur is the standard, not Gold Medal but so far GM been pretty good.  I read a lot of good things about Bouncer too.   Thanks for posting your results.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Bill, excellent looking pie.  I think you hit gold with that particular flour, formula and baking method.  Man that's making me pizza hungry!

I want to try this Bouncer Flour sometime but don't know where to get it.  So far I'm satisfied with Gold Medal Better for Bread flour but would like to try Bouncer and compare.  I think around here though that King Arthur is the standard, not Gold Medal but so far GM been pretty good.  I read a lot of good things about Bouncer too.   Thanks for posting your results.

James,

Thanks for the reply.Bouncer seems to be a very decent HG flour.Every time I use it to make a dough,I get alot of bubbles in it. I believe that helps create a more explosive rim at times.That said,it is not my favorite all the time as well.I do enjoy the bread flours.I mainly use KABF but the GM better for bread is just fine too.I tend to switch back and forth.

I tend to get smaller rims with bread flour,since I get less bubbles,even if I make the dough the exact same way using the machine on dough setting.I do not know why yet.That said,the bread flour always makes a wonderful tasting crust too.Sometimes the Bouncer shines,sometimes the bread flour doughs do.

Still learning and will keep sharing what I experience.

-Bill

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
That looks like a spider web in there Bill!!!  It had to be fantastic cuz it sure looked it!!

John

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »
That looks like a spider web in there Bill!!!  It had to be fantastic cuz it sure looked it!!

John

Funny I was thinking the same thing too.  I thought, man some spiders sneaked into Bill's pizza rim and made it their own home!  I have a scary story about candy and spiders but if I tell it I might ruin everyone's taste for chocolate so I better not tell of my spider story. 

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
John,
I thought the same thing about the spider web the first time.My spidey sense went off and I could Imagine a miniature spiderman flying through it.

James,

Yeah,spiders can make grown men jump high,and squeal like little girls too.Better not tell the scary stories just yet.
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Just saw the pics Bill and I have to say that is not pizza but a d@mn tarantula hole!  :-D. Just kidding.  Very nice work.  I love it when the crust blows up like that and you can see through a 3-4" section of the crust.  I get them every once in awhile but don't know how to reliably reproduce them either.  it seems to happen in the sections with the big air bubbles so it may have something to do with gluten strength and balling to trap air.  ???

Bill is Bouncer a BF or HG?  I just discovered Con Agra Bakers and Chefs BF (bleached and enriched) and I'm in love with it.  Makes for an excellent crust.  Crunchy and a very light crumb.

Keep up the great work Bill.

Chau

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
Chau,

Thanks for the nice comments.I was  :-D about the Tarantula comment.So true!

Yes,Bouncer is a HG flour.

I buy the bag from Gordons Food Service stores.I took some pics for ya.

Also,I was bored and decided to show a few pics.The pizza below,is a 14 inch cooked on the stone.The screen was there to cool off ontop of.

The rim rise had a bit of bubbles and spring as well.Not nearly as much as the 18's had but it had a puffy rim in most places.Lighter and not as dense as some of the other pies I have made.

The 14 was made with 100% Bouncer flour.I also will buy Primo Gusto HG flour and we are renewing our Sam's club card,so hopefully try the flour from Sams club as well.

-Bill

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
Great looking pie, Bill - I love the latest one.

I prefer a little more well done, on average, but sometimes a lighter cook can hit the spot.  Getting the smaller rim really gives a much more NY look.  I know when I want to get a rim that small, I have to get the sauce alllll the way to the edge when I'm dressing the pizza.  Then it still expands an inch or so during the cook.  Did you do the same there?

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
Bill, I'm glad you're happy with the Bouncer flour. With the extra oven spring you're getting, you might want to think about dialing back the thickness factor a bit.  With less dough, you get even a bit more oven spring.

How was the form? Was it fighting you a bit? 60% hydration 14% protein flour doughs can get pretty tight.  60% might be fine for 12.7% protein KABF, but 14% bouncer has a higher absorption value, most likely in the 63% realm. As you add more water, the crust has a tendency to get a little tougher.  You can offset this with a shorter knead (cottage cheese appearance before refrigeration) and/or blending the Bouncer with some A/P.  I'm really enjoying my 66% All Trumps 33% AP blend, although I'm really biding my time until I can get my hands on a 13%ish protein bromated flour.

Please forgive the brief hijack!  Just gotta ask Scott - when you are doing the 2:1 AT/AP blend like that, what hydration do you like?

Sean

pizzapan