Author Topic: Trail doughs in the Universal Bread Maker..any ideas?  (Read 17308 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Trail doughs in the Universal Bread Maker..any ideas?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »
Hopefully I did the formula right for 2 dough balls (16") on the expanded dough calculation tool for the amount my UMB can make.  This is the formula.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
Hopefully I did the formula right for 2 dough balls (16") on the expanded dough calculation tool for the amount my UMB can make.

Norma,

You did fine. You might end up with a bit of extra dough but that can be trimmed off or you can go a bit over 16" in size instead. Using a thickness factor of 0.10, the dough ball weight would be 3.14159 x 8 x 8 x 0.10 = 20.11 ounces.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
Norma,

You did fine. You might end up with a bit of extra dough but that can be trimmed off or you can go a bit over 16" in size instead. Using a thickness factor of 0.10, the dough ball weight would be 3.14159 x 8 x 8 x 0.10 = 20.11 ounces.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me the size of the pizza could go a bit over 16".  I donít know if I will have any bowl residue in the UMB on the sides. bottom, or hook, because I never used it before.  I will either trim some dough off or make the skin bigger, if the dough ball weigh too much, after being divided.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Cleaned up the UBM today with SOS and sanitized with bleach after scrubbing.  I guess this is as good as the UBM will clean up. The dough hook turning handle seems to work fine. Will make the dough tomorrow in the UBM.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
The regular Lehmann dough with manteca was mixed in the UBM. I first put the water in the UMB and then added the flour, IDY, and salt and turned the handle to spin the dough hook.  The dough came together quickly in about 3 minutes.  I then added the manteca and mixed again.  The manteca mixed into the dough well.  I had to turn the handle of the UBM for about another 3 minutes.  The dough didnít even want to climb on the dough hook at all.  Universal must have know years ago how to make a great bread maker, because there were no problems mixing the Lehman dough in the UBM.  Quick and efficient! The final dough temperature was 79.6 degrees F. I then divided the dough and balled the two dough balls.  I oiled both dough balls with manteca. Both of these dough balls feel really soft.  The manteca kinda smells like bacon grease, but not as strong.  What a quick and easy Lehmann dough to make in the UBM.

First picture is after the mix of 3 minutes, then next pictures are after the manteca was added and final dough temperature.  Next 2 pictures are of the Lehmann dough balls with and without oiled manteca on the one dough ball.  The one wasnít oiled with manteca, before I took the one picture, but I did oil it with manteca after I took the picture.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:09 PM »
Norma,

Out of curiosity, how did the dough ball weights work out? Did the dough stick much to the insides of the machine? Also, do you think that you could have made a smaller dough batch without any problems?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
Peter,

The weights of the dough balls after they were divided was a little more than you had stated.  I had put the manteca into the refrigerator after I bought it because I didnít want it to go bad.  The manteca harden some while in the refrigerator, so I had to heat it so it would be dissolved.  I didnít want to put the thickened manteca into the mixer.  I didnít discard any of the dough and I guess I will open the dough into a bigger size than a 16" pizza, if you think that is a good idea.

The dough didnít stick much to the sides of the UBM.  I only had to take a tiny bit of flour off two of the sides of the mixing bowl, after the first mix.  After the manteca was mixed in there wasnít any notable bowl residue.  I had put a bowl residue of 1.5 in the expanded dough calculation tool.  That is probably why I had extra dough.

I donít know if I could have made a smaller dough batch without any problems.  The next time I made dough in the UBM, I will take a picture of how close the dough hook comes to the bottom of the mixing bowl. I donít even know what kind of dough hook the UBM has. It looks like a different kind of dough hook, to me anyway.  For the amount of dough you figured out I would need, it seemed to work well. You always seem to know how to figure everything out. I was amazed that this old bread machine worked so well in kneading the dough.  My kitchen aid mixer doesnít even do such a good job as easily.  

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
Norma,

You gave me enough information to be able to come up with something that looked like it would work with your "back to the future" machine. When dealing with quantitative issues, playing around with numbers is unavoidable.

I did not apply a thickness factor to my estimated dough batch size since I didn't know whether your machine needed it. It now looks like your machine does an effective job of picking up all of the flour. Under the circumstances, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't take the skin size out to over 16".

I look forward to your results and assessment.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Norma,

You gave me enough information to be able to come up with something that looked like it would work with your "back to the future" machine. When dealing with quantitative issues, playing around with numbers is unavoidable.

I did not apply a thickness factor to my estimated dough batch size since I didn't know whether your machine needed it. It now looks like your machine does an effective job of picking up all of the flour. Under the circumstances, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't take the skin size out to over 16".

I look forward to your results and assessment.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for naming my UBM the ďback to the futureĒ machine.  I will see how these doughs work out Tuesday.  Thanks also for doing the calculations so I could make the Lehmann manteca dough in this machine.

If you or anyone else is interested, this is a picture of how the top part and dough hook look.  The dough hook can be taken off by a little lever on top of the turning handle. The part of the assembly that is hooked onto the mixing bowl, can be tightened or loosened by another lever.

Norma
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:54:56 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »
The UBM machine and the combination of the manteca really made a good pizza.  The dough fermented differently on the bottom of this Lehmann dough ball.  I donít know why that happened.  The top of the dough ball did have a silky feel, from the manteca it was greased with.  There are two sets of pictures of the dough ball, two when I took it out of the deli case and two when the dough ball was ready to be opened, after the warm-up. The Lehmann dough ball with the manteca added was very easy to open.

When Steve and I tasted the pizza, it did have better taste than when regular olive oil is added.  While eating a slice, both of us noticed something like a slippery feeling in our mouths.  It wasnít greasy, but just different.  I liked the taste of the Lehmann dough crust with the manteca added better than when olive oil is added to the dough.  I gave my daughter a slice and she reheated it after I returned home.  She really liked this pizza, also.

I didnít use the second Lehmann dough ball with the manteca added.  It is still in my refrigerator and I donít know if I am going to use it at home or let it ferment more, then freeze it to try next week.

Thanks Peter for coming up with a formula for me to use in the UBM.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

parallei

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
What fun Norma ;D  The pie looks great too.  Funny about the lard; one can but buckets it here in Denver at most supermarkets.  Big blue buckets....

Paul

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
What fun Norma ;D  The pie looks great too.  Funny about the lard; one can but buckets it here in Denver at most supermarkets.  Big blue buckets....

Paul

Paul,

It was fun making the dough in the UBM.  Thanks for saying the pie look great too.  :) I wish I could get buckets of this lard in my area.  Did you ever try it in pizza dough?  Hmmm, big blue buckets of lard, that really sounds interesting.  Do you know how they manufacture the lard in your area?

Norma

parallei

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 12:51:53 AM »
Norma,

No, I've never tried lard in pizza dough.  I used to use it occasionally in crusts for savory pies and biscuits.  My wife frowns on the practice these days ::)  I'm not sure how it is manufactured, but the stuff I got was a pretty refined product and solid.  Blue bucket with, I think, white snowy mountains (purity don't you know) and white lettering.  I'll look next time I'm at the grocery store.

I think Matthew uses lard (strutto in Italian) sometimes in his Pizzarium dough.

Paul

Offline Matthew

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »

I think Matthew uses lard (strutto in Italian) sometimes in his Pizzarium dough.

Paul

I use strutto in all my doughs (except for Neapolitan) 

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 07:12:03 AM »
Norma,

No, I've never tried lard in pizza dough.  I used to use it occasionally in crusts for savory pies and biscuits.  My wife frowns on the practice these days ::)  I'm not sure how it is manufactured, but the stuff I got was a pretty refined product and solid.  Blue bucket with, I think, white snowy mountains (purity don't you know) and white lettering.  I'll look next time I'm at the grocery store.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for telling me about the lard you get is pretty well refined.  Lol, yes the white mountains sound like purity and the white lettering and blue bucket also sound like purity.  :-D Thanks for saying you will look for the lard the next time you are at the grocery store.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:21 AM »
I use strutto in all my doughs (except for Neapolitan) 

Matt

Matt,

What do you think is the difference from the strutto you use and the manteca I used?  Can you tell me what you think strutto adds to your doughs you use strutto for.  Do you mind telling me where you purchase the strutto?

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Norma,

From your photos, it looks like you had another successful outcome. It perhaps was a good idea that you did not use any sugar in the dough that might have obscured the flavor of your manteca. It's also possible, I suppose, that your liquid manteca just has more flavor than the sanitized versions that are sold in most stores. To know for sure, you would perhaps have to run a few side by side tests where the only difference is the form of lard.

Where I live, there is a large Hispanic community that I would guess is the primary market for the lards sold in the local supermarkets. The main brand, Armour, is sold in all sizes, including large buckets. That product looks as shown in the photo at http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/lard.gif. I used to see another brand, Mrs. Tucker's, that was a mixture of meat fats and shortening. I haven't checked recently to see if it is still being sold in the markets near me but the product looks like the photo at http://media.shopwell.com/kp/6172009948_full.jpg.

Since you liked the flavor of the crust using your liquid manteca, there is no reason why you can't use it in your preferment Lehmann dough. You can make a direct swap of the manteca for the olive oil (by weight). It might be a good way to use up the rest of your manteca. Of course, there are many other applications for the manteca.

Peter