Author Topic: WFO Construction  (Read 404 times)

Offline SC

WFO Construction
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
.  I have a pre-fabbed WFO insert about four feet around, made of 3" thick concrete. It was scavanged from an Italian restaurant.

I understand the floor of my oven will go an a piece of ceramic fibre board, with most recommending a concrete slab under that.  Rather than a concrete slab, I live in an area with lots of natural granite.  Wanted to build my oven to fit in.

So, my question is, if I use a large slab of natural granite (say 5-8 inches thick), under the ceramic insulating board, will the granite crack?  I thought I read on the specs for the insulating board that it will lower the temperature coming through the oven floor to 700 degrees(?). 

The challenge with a granite slab like this is that flaws could be hidden within the rock, and then the heat, especially if the granite is cold in the winter, could cause it to crack. Is this a valid concern or will such a thick piece of granite be safe to use?

I attach a picture of such a WFO i found on the internet.  This would be the concept...

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: WFO Construction
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
With insulation and that kind of thickness, you won't have anything to worry about.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline dhpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: WFO Construction
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
I would be interested in a discount also.  Toscano 80D