Author Topic: Big Guy Barrel oven Party  (Read 1270 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Big Guy Barrel oven Party
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »
So I did my first catering gig today using the same Big Guy Barrel oven I posted in the Big Guy barrel oven thread. Made 50 dough Balls and pulled it off solo!  ::) Needless  to say not much time for pics but proved if the dough is right you can make it work with an $1800 oven with a garage door and no insulation. This thing eats wood like a starving child I ad to rake the coale 4 times in the 2 hr bake. I had this baby singing!! Here is what I set up. It was a fully catered party and this was supposed to be an appy station People kept coming back and back and back  :P
this was the 70- 30 dough I made fri night in the diving arm beautiful stuff !
John (tired John)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Big Guy Barrel oven Party
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
bake time was around 2 minute +,  but the crumb was magnificeint as the dough warmed up!
J
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:20:22 PM by JConk007 »

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
That's a lot of pies to do solo John.  Very impressive!  70/30 mix and a 2min bake.  That's my kinda pie.  Did you cook them one at a time?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:20 PM »
Thanks Chau!  Yes a new record for me. Good news is I am getting the slap stretch tech. down pretty good ! I will be hireing some help for next time at least to shlep the boxes back and forth to the car and keep up with the ingredients....  I was doing 2 at a time with a lot of juggling.  It was really cool to get so many great comments on the final product.  I  am sure that oven will never be pushed like that again. I love that formula planning on being my go to  blend for now It was 36 hr bulk and about 4-5 hrs. ball and outside temp rise .
250 gram Puff pillows !! off to rest up !
John

Online Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
One of my regular routines is very similar to yours.   I do 75/25 00/hg (68% HR), long bulk ferment, and gentle ball at the end but I usually do less than a 24 hour total fermentation if using room temp fermentation (~75F).  I haven't tried the 36hour yet.   What lead you to that?  Was it more applicable to your schedule or do you prefer it over a 20h or so routine?    Oh btw, are you using CY?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
Yes more of a timing thing. I made the dough 65% friday night at 9:30-10 pm for party on sunday afternnon  1 pm. My original plan was to bulk til 7:30 am sunday ball bring to location and fridge. then tkae out at 11:00 for 1 pm bake.Instead  I Balled around 8:30 -900am and by the time I got there it was 11:00 and guess what the fridge I was told was available was to small for the full size proofing box of course. I have a layer of Ice over top tray instead of lid I used another tray, and they felt cool so I just let then hang until ready. worked out fine. I did not trust the cake yeast I hade and had never done a large batch, god forbid I blow 50 dough balls  :'(  so I used the good old SAF IDY ya cant beat that stuff I will go to .2% next time
John