Author Topic: June 2011 "No Water"  (Read 6258 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
June 2011 "No Water"
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
Any liquid but water.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Guts

Re: June 2011 "No Water"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
this sounds like a good challenge. I've made dough with beer with Guinness beer and like beer's . I will be participating in this challenge.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
Cant wait to tackle this challenge, just hope my non water ingredient works well!

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
Keeping with my avocado, cherry tomato and red onion theme with a crust using yogurt, dash of salt, IDY and half and half WW (Integral) and all purpose flour. Same day dough, I'm going to try a extended ferment later and see what it's taste profile is like. And yes, it tasted healthy and different. Oh, and I found some Edam cheese which although for me is expensive here in Mexico, it is lower in fat.
Don
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:46:52 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »
Don - "healthy and different" good or bad?  I'm intrigued...  It looks good! 

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Last night's pizza was done with Negra Modelo beer, a nice dark beer here. I made the ham, salami, tuna with red onion for a lady friend, I had a vegetarian. 70% hydration with AP flour, 48 hour ferment. I sliced some serrano and habanero that she garnished hers with. >:D Don
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:53:10 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
Buceriasdon, that was a well executed pie.  It looks delicious!  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:29:57 PM by jjdec05 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »
I bumped into a friend this morning and invited her for pizza yesterday evening. Same day dough using O'Doul's ale beverage. Hers was much like Monday night's pizza except the jalapenos were cooked on it. I found a can of squash blossoms in my pantry, perfect for my veggie pizza, squash blossoms,cherry tomatoes, onion and pine nuts garnished with slivered thai basil.
Don
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:20:17 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline Pitapacket

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
Keeping with my avocado, cherry tomato and red onion theme with a crust using yogurt, dash of salt, IDY and half and half WW (Integral) and all purpose flour. Same day dough, I'm going to try a extended ferment later and see what it's taste profile is like. And yes, it tasted healthy and different. Oh, and I found some Edam cheese which although for me is expensive here in Mexico, it is lower in fat.
Don
Don,
This yogurt dough looks amazing!  Did you treat it exactly as water or did you add a little extra?  This is something I'd like to try.  Tangy?

- Chris
-----Christopher--------

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
Thanks Cris, Yes, I measured out 74 grams natural yogurt to 120 grams flour blend,1/2t sea salt,1/4t IDY for a 10 inch pizza. 62.5% hydration. This was a same day dough. Yesterday I made another dough ball, in the fridge at the moment, using all purpose flour and yogurt, however I used no salt, I substituted citric acid, sometimes referred to as Sour Salt and 1/8t IDY. I reheated a slice of the first yogurt pizza today and yes it does have subtle tang that is difficult to describe but I find pleasing to the palate. Tomarrow evening I will find out what the new experiment is like texture and taste wise. I may find that a blend of citric acid and salt is required, but only one way to find out. If the flavor profile is good I'll try with Integral flour. I'll be using up the last of some of my homemade vegan cheese substitute that I discovered buried in my freezer. :-X
Don

Don,
This yogurt dough looks amazing!  Did you treat it exactly as water or did you add a little extra?  This is something I'd like to try.  Tangy?

- Chris

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 06:30:17 AM »
Well the three day cold ferment using yogurt and citric acid instead of salt was, how do I say, a dismal failure, but I accept things like this happening with the Monthly Challenge. The dough didn't open well from the start and my attempts to stretch the skin lead to tearing, the dough had no workabilty what so ever. I ended up rekneading and rolling it out.  :( I attribute a portion of the problem to being over fermented, it really needs some salt to temper the dough. The crust baked up nicely but the taste and texture were subpar. Earlier pizza was much better. I'll revisit yogurt after trying coconut milk for the next one.
Don

Offline mattharris75

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
Here's my entry. Instead of water I used beer. I decided that it would be interesting to use the Sierra Nevada Weizenbock included in the 2011 Beer Camp pack. The weizenbock is a German style hefeweisen, with a nice malty flavor with predominate banana and clove flavors from the yeast.

Here was the intended dough recipe:

KABF: 100%
67% Weizenbock
15% Semolina Flour
2% salt
2% Honey
.5% IDY

I mixed all ingredients, except only 75% of the flour, and combined for 1 minute. I realized that the beer just wasn't quite equivalent to water in terms of absorption, so I added an extra ounce or so of beer and mixed for another minute. I then let the dough rest for 20 minutes, then mixed another 6 minutes, adding in the remaining flour after about the first 4 minutes. The I did a couple of stretch and folds, balled, and covered the dough and let it rise at room temperature for 4 hours.

I used 4 ounces of fresh mozzarrella as well as 1.5 ounces of chevre' for the cheese.

I sauteed Shitake, oyster, and baby bella mushrooms with a olive oil, malt vinegar, and garlic. And then added some fresh herbs from the back yard; rosemary, basil, and oregano to the saute.

5 minute bake, with the oven set to 550 (580 stone temp) and with the broiler on for the last 2:30.

This pizza had great flavor, decent oven spring, and a nice combination of crunch and chew. Quite frankly, I was surprised. :)

Sorry for the quality of the picture, my wife took the digital camera to the beach with our little girl (I'll be joining them on Tuesday), so I had to use my phone...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:54:26 PM by mattharris75 »

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
oday otnay useway oconutcay ilkmay. Translation: Do not use coconut milk. At least not in the dough. Well, maybe a little might work. The crust was almost pastry like in sweetness, no surprise. Also I forgot and should have added the oilpacked dehydrated tomatoes towards the end of the bake. oh well. However the star tonight was the roasted garlic with coconut milk sauce. I roasted a heads worth of garlic in the oven with olive oil until golden brown then added, for this 10" pizza a bit over 1/3 cup coconut milk and processed coarsely.  I then simmered for ten minutes to thicken the sauce. This will be a time and time again white sauce for me, the blend of garlic and coconut milk is simply wonderful. This had no cheese and really, it didn't need it. For a larger size pizza I would roast two heads and use a 1/2 cup coconut milk. I mean it, try this white sauce. I know it has many more varients that would be outstanding.
Don
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:42:45 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline cosgrojo

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
I so wish I had the technology to take and post pictures.  Some day I will jump more aggressively into the techonology age. 

I have made a lot of different pizza doughs without water.  Just made a new pizza the other day that turned out well... would have loved to picture and post it. 

Cuban sandwich pizza.  Pickle Juice Pizza dough.  Mojo braised shredded pork shoulder, diced ham, shredded swiss cheese, pickled red onions, spritzed with reserved mojo sauce after baking.  Didn't like the idea of baking pickles... felt that the texture would be unappealing.

Sorry that I dropped this idea without posting pix.  Feel free to use it though!

Josh

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
I originally wanted to do a Jim Beam pizza but after a failed attempt decided to use something more expendable!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »
I originally wanted to do a Jim Beam pizza but after a failed attempt decided to use something more expendable!

I've been wondering what a small amount of bourbon added to the dough would taste like.

Did you use 100% tequila in the dough, or some water too? What did it taste like? How pronounced was the tequila flavor? How was the texture - similar or different from a similar water based dough?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Cool PiedP. I'd thought about booze (as opposed to wine), but thought it might croak the yeast in a high enough concentration.  Guess not!

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
I've been wondering what a small amount of bourbon added to the dough would taste like.

Did you use 100% tequila in the dough, or some water too? What did it taste like? How pronounced was the tequila flavor? How was the texture - similar or different from a similar water based dough?

CL

yes 100% tequila that I boiled from about 110g down to 45g (next time ill just keep it at 180 degrees, which will hopefully boil just the alcohol off and not lose as much mass).  As for taste,  im not sure how much impact the tequila had on flavor considering I use provolone/white cheddar cheese which dramatically changes the taste of your pizza as opposed to using mozzarella.  On my first bite I did however have a slight taste that reminded me of cooking sherry (man what i wouldn't give for a bowl of snapper soup with a small glass of sherry right now!) On the texture of the dough it definitely didn't have the rise my other doughs had and was a bit tough to form a skin with.  In hind sight i should of used it after the couple hour oven rise, rather than put it in the fridge over night.  Had I done this it would have been like a normal water based dough but instead it seamed to over hydrate itself over night.

Cool PiedP. I'd thought about booze (as opposed to wine), but thought it might croak the yeast in a high enough concentration.  Guess not!

Yes, on my first attempt i tried straight Jim Beam which after a few bubbles the yeast was killed rather fast.  Im not that fond of 1800 so I didnt mind throwing it away if boiling it down didn't work

Offline topluck

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
Don that Negra Modelo beer has inspired me to give it a try.