Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 40732 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
Hello,

Sorry for all the questions as I never used a culture.

I was ordering Ischia starter online and I just wanted to be sure I got this correct. Once I start the dough process I only need 1.3% culture and that is only like a tsp?

This Ischia starter will just last a while sitting on my counter as long as add some flour?

Do want to order number 4 or number 6?

Thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Hello,

Sorry for all the questions as I never used a culture.

I was ordering Ischia starter online and I just wanted to be sure I got this correct. Once I start the dough process I only need 1.3% culture and that is only like a tsp?

This Ischia starter will just last a while sitting on my counter as long as add some flour?

Do want to order number 4 or number 6?

Thanks.

I don't know what #4 and #6 are?

I keep a back-up dormant in the fridge, but yes, the culture I use for pizza I keep at room temp. I discard ~50% and feed with a like amount of flour and water every 3 days or so. I don't measure anything. I just keep it at a thick batter consistency.

The only way you will know how much to use in your dugh is with a scale. I've been using 1.7-1.9% lately as it's been cooler than normal here.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
I don't know what #4 and #6 are?

I keep a back-up dormant in the fridge, but yes, the culture I use for pizza I keep at room temp. I discard ~50% and feed with a like amount of flour and water every 3 days or so. I don't measure anything. I just keep it at a thick batter consistency.

The only way you will know how much to use in your dugh is with a scale. I've been using 1.7-1.9% lately as it's been cooler than normal here.

Woops I forgot the link to show the starters. http://sourdoughs.net/

I ordered number six. I got an email from the website and they said add three cups of starter for a pizza. That seemed like a lot.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »
Woops I forgot the link to show the starters. http://sourdoughs.net/

I ordered number six. I got an email from the website and they said add three cups of starter for a pizza. That seemed like a lot.

#6 sounds good. That's not where I got mine, but I'd guess it will be fine.

As for using three cups, there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, I prefer making pizza to skinning cats, but to each his own...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »
#6 sounds good. That's not where I got mine, but I'd guess it will be fine.

As for using three cups, there are many ways to skin a cat. Personally, I prefer making pizza to skinning cats, but to each his own...

Thanks for the nice write up, I'm going to follow your process the best I can. Can't to try it out.