Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 151614 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
that bacon is amazing!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
I love the pork priority this week. The topping combinations are very unique and tantalizing, and my favorite is the cheese and chilies - so simple and perfect. But the reconstituted cranberries are genius.

In New England, down in New Bedford, I once had oyster stew. It was basically just warmed-through cream with some specks of salt pork, and freshly shucked oysters that were dropped in at the last second. It was incredible. And the oysters you get here are very briny. You might try the oyster pie again with fresh east coast oysters (flown in, if you can find them), burrata with extra cream, some salty bacon or pork product, and post bake black pepper. If it ends up on your future restaurant menu, I get it for free whenever I visit.

Quick question: do you always bake in the same spot on one side, or switch it up?

John

And name credit on the menu.

Yes, I generally bake in and around the same place - center to center right.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #462 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
Thank you Omid, Norma, and Gene.

CL

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #463 on: February 04, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
Pies this week:

- buffalo mozz, fennel sausage, dried cranberries rehydrated in Armagnac, dried chilis, and a drizzle of local wildflower honey and fresh basil post bake. this pie was REALLY good.

WOW,  made a pizza tonight with this combo - I rehydrated the cranberries in cranberry liqueur and added a tiny bit of the liqueur to the honey.  This was awesome.  Thanks Craig
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:31:29 PM by deb415611 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #464 on: February 04, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
Thanks Deb,

They are just the crushed red pepper flakes like you would get from McCormick or any other mainstream spice company. I believe the pepper is Cayenne, but they usually don't say so on the label. Mine is from a local company but is really no different.

CL

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #465 on: February 04, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
Thanks Craig  :)  I'm going to borrow your flavor combination tomorrow. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
All yours. Please post pictures and let us know how it comes out.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #467 on: February 05, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
The dough for tonights bake was 62%HR, 2.8% salt, and 1.3% Ischia culture. I fermented it at 60F in bulk for 60 hours then another 8 in balls at 70F and the last 2-4 at 85F.

At 72 hours, this was the longest I can ever remember fermenting my dough at room temp. It is too long for Ischia (for me anyway). It was crazy sour. It was as sour as any sourdough bread I've ever tasted. It wasn't bad - just overpowering.

The enzymes and acid had really gone to work on the dough. The balls were tough to open from the acid. When I opened the balls, in spots, I could see the gluten breaking down from the enzymes. It was starting to get a little tacky. It was tougher than my 48 hour dough and was starting to get that chewy, wettish texture dough gets after it starts to break down.

It leoparded up nice though. I could really see the spots coming out as it baked. If I ever had a doubt about long fermentation having a roll in dark blister formation, it's gone now. I've been trying to see how small I can go with the hand torn fresh mozz on the margherita. As you can see, I think I've found out.

My boys grew the oyster mushrooms on the mushroom and white truffle oil pie (in addition to the cremini also on the pie).

CL
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:29:45 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
The rest:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
Craig,

Oh my, your pies are always so beautiful!  :chef:  They always have me drooling.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »
Craig, there is a good possibilty that the forum should remove the oven from your garage.  This is just a warning, but not a ticket.  Stay within the guidelines, as supplied by the oven builder.  Otherwise, carry on. :-D :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #471 on: February 05, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »
Craig, there is a good possibilty that the forum should remove the oven from your garage.  This is just a warning, but not a ticket.  Stay within the guidelines, as supplied by the oven builder.  Otherwise, carry on. :-D :chef:

What's the problem officer?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Craig, a beautiful result as always. I can definitely see the difference in the crust leoparding as compared to your usual fermentation regimen.

I'm curious.....were you planning to go this long with the fermentation? And if so, why did you choose to both up your HR slightly (from your often used 60%) and decrease the salt a tad (from 3.00 to 2.80)?

Either way, these all are knockout looking beauties.

Eff me, I need to get to Houston.  :)  --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
I was planning the 72hr ferment. The +2%HR was just a wild hare at the last minute. I've been 2.8-2.9% salt for a while.

CL

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »
Ah the sprouts!! Your killing me, I  need just a few warmer days when get home hit 84 here in Fla. Should have brought the trailer
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #475 on: February 12, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
A couple pics from tonight

- how I like my cheese to look on a Margherita
 - my crumb torn open

CL

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2012, 02:43:06 AM »
A couple pics from tonight

- how I like my cheese to look on a Margherita
 - my crumb torn open

CL

Dear Craig, I am back and hungry for home-made pizzas here and beyond! Please, tell me what kind and brand of mozzarella did you adorn your Margherita with. I, too, like the hylozoic character of the melted cheese. Thank you for the pictures and good night!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »
Dear Craig, I am back and hungry for home-made pizzas here and beyond! Please, tell me what kind and brand of mozzarella did you adorn your Margherita with. I, too, like the hylozoic character of the melted cheese. Thank you for the pictures and good night!

YES! The cheese is indeed alive. If we forget that, we risk serving a pizza with dead cheese. We must also remember that the cheese does not stop changing once it is pulled from the oven. Much like a beautiful piece of fresh fish, if it is cooked to the point where it would be perfect to eat at that second, it will be badly overcooked when served. I took this picture to show what I like to see coming out of the oven. The cheese sized such that given the oven temperature and the time it takes to serve the pie, it will finish melting just as it is served. The rough edges of the hand tearing seems to facilitate the gentle transition of the edge of the cheese into the sauce.  

This is not a fancy or expensive cheese though I find it performs beautifully and had a very nice flavor. It is Galbani Mozzarella Fresca water packed Bocconcini torn by hand into large marble-sized pieces and allowed to drain on paper towels for a couple hours.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
Here was my new pie for the night. It was inspired by John's smoked pepperoni reccomendation:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17110.0.html

This pie is tomato, dry and fresh mozz, spicy sopressata, kalamata olives (halved), calabrian chili oil with big chunks of calabrian chilies, and Texas Olive Ranch mesquite smoked olive oil. It's not for the faint of heart or those who don't enjoy oil on the surface of their pies.

CL

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
LOVE IT! Just  pm me your address Craig and I will shoot you a stick of the smoked pepperoni John used I thank John because I really like it.  I loved it some much I am getting a case for the spring parties with Flirting With Fire.
The other John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com