Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 279229 times)

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
That gives me an idea.  I think I will try to bake with convection in my wfo using a small fan next time to see if there is a difference. 

Chau

There is already a lot of convection going on in there. Watch the flames. Air has to go in and exhaust has to go out. If you put a fan on it, I bet it gets a lot hotter as you will increase the oxygen available.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

scott123

« Reply #626 on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
Chau and Craig, if you remember our conversation with Frank at Vesta, you'll recall that he uses his roof fans to draw air out of his ovens, to both make sure the smoke is venting through the chimney as well as, when needed, introducing more air to the oven and ramping up the fire.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #627 on: April 11, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Chau and Craig, if you remember our conversation with Frank at Vesta, you'll recall that he uses his roof fans to draw air out of his ovens, to both make sure the smoke is venting through the chimney as well as, when needed, introducing more air to the oven and ramping up the fire.

I think this speaks to my point about a fan probably increasing temperature. For Frank, this was also done out of necessity. His kitchen vents lowered the pressure in the building thus sucking air down the oven vents and smoking up his dining room..

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

scott123

« Reply #628 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »
Craig, I was using Vesta to illustrate that a fan definitely does increase temp (and burns more wood).

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #629 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
In that case, I agree!  :-D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #630 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
Ok, I started a new thread here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18650.new.html#new
to discuss the drying aspects of coal ovens.   

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #631 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »
The prep station is complete, and the test was a complete success!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #632 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
More pics:

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #633 on: April 15, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
To use webspeak....

OMFG

Craig, you have moved beyond the abilities of many a mortal man.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #634 on: April 15, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
Holy crap that looks incredible, the only thing your missing now is a pro mixer and your all set to open up shop.

Is the ice working well? How do you find working on a wood surface compared to a marble/granite one?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #635 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »
Holy crap that looks incredible, the only thing your missing now is a pro mixer and your all set to open up shop.

Is the ice working well? How do you find working on a wood surface compared to a marble/granite one?

The ice hardly melted in 5 hours at 85F. The wood works great. I think it will really shine when the temps touch 100F. I think marble or granite would transfer heat too fast. Wood was the best option I could come up with,.

CL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:45 AM »
Tonights bake was about the same as last week. Focus on the basics. The oven was not quite as hot however - probably about 25F cooler on the floor and walls (885F and 1055F respectively this week). That extra 25F matters.

Most of the pies are self explanatory. The one exception is the asparagus birds nest. This week I mixed mascarpone with a little maytag blue cheese. I topped the pie with this mixture, the shaved asparagus, some freshly grated Parm. Regg., and a little S&P. After the bake, I hit it with some fresh lemon juice and Meyer lemon olive oil. It was out of this world. Some cherry tomato might have made it even better. Next time.

CL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »
More pics:

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
More pics:

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #639 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »
That's Vermont smoked pepperoni in the last pic. I finally found some, and it is incredible!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #640 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:38 AM »
Craig, it looks like you worked up a good sweat there.  All the pies look great as usual.   I was at an import foods market today and saw black and white truffle oil and it reminded me of you.  I was tempted to pick up a small bottle at $15.  I forget the brand name.  I read the label and it said that they start with sunflower oil and infuse it with truffle oil using old world techniques or something like that.   The black truffles are from France and the white from Italy.  Thought I would check with you before jumping in.   I suppose there is no such thing as pure truffle oil right? and if so, I'm sure it would cost a lot more than $15 a small bottle.   :-D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:31:34 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »
Probably. I like black truffle on eggs and porkchops. For my mushroom pie, I like the white. I use the La Tourangelle brand. I think it's about $15. I really like it.

CL

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #642 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Craig, beautiful work on your work table.  I think you inspired me to follow your footsteps for my work table.  Excellent pies as usual!

Chau, truffle oil is 100% devoid of actual truffles.  It is a synthetic product using olive oil or other types of oil infused with a compound that is meant to resemble the flavor of truffles.  Think of it as similar to perfume-making or artificial flavoring.  I still don't even know why it costs so much money.  It has its specific uses though where it shines through quite well (i.e. Craig's mushroom pie, truffle fries, etc.) and where real truffles is just not practical.  

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
Craig, beautiful work on your work table.  I think you inspired me to follow your footsteps for my work table.  Excellent pies as usual!

Chau, truffle oil is 100% devoid of actual truffles.  It is a synthetic product using olive oil or other types of oil infused with a compound that is meant to resemble the flavor of truffles.  Think of it as similar to perfume-making or artificial flavoring.  I still don't even know why it costs so much money.  It has its specific uses though where it shines through quite well (i.e. Craig's mushroom pie, truffle fries, etc.) and where real truffles is just not practical.  

Marlon

Good to know.  I could smell the strong earthiness of the white truffle oil right through the white plastic top!  It smells like it would go great on a mushroom pie or in some eggs.  

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:05:03 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #644 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
Craig,
Your pies are beautiful as always, but today I am drooling over your work station. That is one slick build. I am pretty envious. Additionally, I have to say that the addition of the casters at the bottom are a smart move too. I wish I could optimally position my counter to accommodate my own work flow.   Truly, nice work.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #645 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »
Those look amazing! What do you neighbors think about all of this? Do they "accidently" just show up when you happen to be making pies?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that you travel so frequently and have many weekends to devote to a practically full blown restaurant in your garage haha?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
Those look amazing! What do you neighbors think about all of this? Do they "accidently" just show up when you happen to be making pies?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that you travel so frequently and have many weekends to devote to a practically full blown restaurant in your garage haha?

Thanks, Jeff.

Currently, I'm doing geophysics - helping oil companies find oil.

CL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #647 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »

Doesn't happen much. I have a pretty long driveway...

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #648 on: April 16, 2012, 01:02:23 AM »

Marlon

I dont' thave it in my hand, but i think the one I use says it's a natural extract.

CL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #649 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
Craig,
Your pies are beautiful as always, but today I am drooling over your work station. That is one slick build. I am pretty envious. Additionally, I have to say that the addition of the casters at the bottom are a smart move too. I wish I could optimally position my counter to accommodate my own work flow.   Truly, nice work.

Thanks, Jimmy. It was a labor of love for sure. My back hurts as I sit here.

CL