Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 150547 times)

Offline Kermit

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
Craig - very nice build with the prep-table. Funny you like the wood-top, as I never got used to my old mahogany top. Never seemed to push the dough without cracking a bit. But then again, if you're opening it with the neapolitan slap, then there should be any problems. I wonder if the heat/humidity differences are factors here.

I don't know if you have covered it earlier in your thread, but that oven. Beautiful! May I ask why you chose that maker and model, where'd you get it, and what sort of price we're talking about? I went to the only pizzeria here in Denmark that serves neapolitan like pizzas(at least that I know of), and they used the same oven as you.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #681 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:34 AM »
I don't know if you have covered it earlier in your thread, but that oven. Beautiful! May I ask why you chose that maker and model, where'd you get it, and what sort of price we're talking about? I went to the only pizzeria here in Denmark that serves neapolitan like pizzas(at least that I know of), and they used the same oven as you.

Well I kind of envy you because you get to read a quite incredible and very entertaining story that will answer all of your questions:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13438.0.html

By the way, I was quite intrigued by your Pizza Party oven. Very compact, cool looking oven.  Looks like it makes really nice pizzas too.  Thanks for sharing the photos and your pizza passion.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #682 on: April 19, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »

Here is a little more from when I first got the oven: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13293.0.html

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #683 on: April 29, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Tonight at the garage, 62.5% hydration. I think I prefer 61.5%. Mostly the usual suspects. The clams were fresh. It was good to have fresh clams at The Garage again. It's been a while. I messed around with dough temp some tonight - from 65F to about 75F. I preferred the warmer dough. It was easier to work with and I think it baked up better. The fresh cheese was buffalo tonight. Looks like the cheese and Calabrian chili pie is going to be a regular due to popular demand. The '88 Fontalloro was beautiful with the pies.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:09:23 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #684 on: April 29, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
More Pics

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #685 on: April 29, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
More pics

Offline jamieg

« Reply #686 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
As always, amazing stuff.

Do you put olive oil on before or after baking the pizza?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #687 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
I always put evoo on before - pies like the Margherita or the Brussels sprouts and pancetta. The Meyer lemon olive oil on the greens and prosciutto pie and the the white truffle oil on the mushroom pie, and other infused oils I put on post bake.

CL

Offline jamieg

« Reply #688 on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
It's quite frustrating looking at such amazing food without actually being able to take a bite.

Can I also ask, when you cut the pizza, do the borders make a crunch sound?  Do you think neopolitan pizza should be in some part crunchy?

I ask because it is something I'm unable to achieve - I find the cheese/tomato tends to try out before I can get the borders sufficiently toasted.

Thanks,

jamie

Offline David Deas

« Reply #689 on: April 29, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
What a great job, Craig!  Was the fire a little hotter than usual tonight?

For the Margherita, do you use plain olive oil all the time or do you prefer other oils on occasion?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:29:40 PM by David Deas »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
What a great job, Craig!  Was the fire a little hotter than usual tonight?

For the Margherita, do you use plain olive oil all the time or do you prefer another oil on occasion?

Thanks David. The last couple weeks I've been running the oven amount 890-900F on the deck and around 1000F+ on the walls farthest from the fire. This seems to be the sweet spot.

Yes, for the Margherita, I use plain San Damiano EVOO.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
It's quite frustrating looking at such amazing food without actually being able to take a bite.

Can I also ask, when you cut the pizza, do the borders make a crunch sound?  Do you think neopolitan pizza should be in some part crunchy?

I ask because it is something I'm unable to achieve - I find the cheese/tomato tends to try out before I can get the borders sufficiently toasted.

Thanks,
jamie

No, the is nothing crispy about my pies. I don't think you will find crispness in any of the best NP pies in the states. I have not been to Naples, so I can't speak to that, but I think it is the same. Mine have just a paper thin shell on the outside, but not enough to call crispy.

I like a crispy pie, but not in NP pies. I like them ever so soft.

CL

Offline David Deas

« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
Thin veneer over the most gentle interior.

For *crispy* I think you might be looking for a coal fired pie.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:42:57 PM by David Deas »

Offline jamieg

« Reply #693 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »
Well, that's somewhat of a relief - I've been going completely demented trying to add a little crunch to my borders - yet keeping it soft and airy in the middle.

On a related note...

I've been putting a lot of work into getting more spring in my borders (I won't bore you with the details) - but I find that in a single pizza - some of the border does not rise and remains far too dense - while other parts rise dramatically and are practically hollow. See image below of the hollow part.

I suspect this is not an easy problem to diagnose - but thought I'd throw it in there...

Offline David Deas

« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
Thanks David. The last couple weeks I've been running the oven amount 890-900F on the deck and around 1000F+ on the walls farthest from the fire. This seems to be the sweet spot.

Yes, for the Margherita, I use plain San Damiano EVOO.

CL

That's real nice and hot.  

Where is your pie in proximity to the fire?  Do you normally bake pretty close in or more opposite?  Or are you moving the pie around?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:55:25 PM by David Deas »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
As far as I can get fron the fire. It's probably about 12-15" from the closest edge to the coals.

CL

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »
Craig, I love the consistency of your pies every single time!  What is on the 2nd pie in the pics (the white pie)? 

Also, when you get a pie that is not as round, do you attribute that to the launch into the oven or to the stretching of the dough ball?

Marlon

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:04 PM »
awesome Craig!  so the '88 Fontalloro is still hanging in there?  I like that wine too. 
bill

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
I am not sure which one looks better, the pizzas or the wine? They both look fantastic.  :chef:

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Eleezy

« Reply #699 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »
Perfection!