Author Topic: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video  (Read 11926 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »
Here's a video I made showing how to make fresh mozzarella from pre-bought curd.   For those considering making their own cheese there are several benefits.

First, it is not as difficult as it may seem.  With a bit of practice you'll be making great cheese in no time at all.  Cheese freezes extremely well when vacuumed sealed and melts nearly the same as their fresh counter part.  I only notice a small difference in the "creaminess" between the fresh and thawed cheese. 
If made in bulk, the current cost is under $3/lb of good cheese.  It is also a good skill to have if you consider yourself a serious pizza maker.   ;D

There are several brands of curd so check your local Restaurant depot or cash and carry stores for availability.  Our local Shamrock wholesale food services doesn't carry curd but will special order it for me without extra charge. 

Cheese making video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795iqppWKFE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795iqppWKFE</a>

Cheese wrapping video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_wF4vwM3o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_wF4vwM3o</a>

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Making fresh mozzarella from curd - Video
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
Finally! I have been waiting for this Chau. Thanks so much for sharing your experience here - you are a natural with these videos.

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »
Chau,

I liked your nice peaceful manner in presenting the material, even with your daughter doing her own thing in the background.

Peter

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
Nice videos. Once you get enough of them under your belt you'll be able to do them at hotter temps. Just like how Dom Demarco pulls fresh pies out a hot oven with his bare hands.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  David I don't reccommend stretching cheese at higher temps.  There are several disadvantages to doing this at higher temps.  

I had a pro tell me he stretches at 180f.  His fresh mozz was dry and tough and the cooled cheese on the pizza was the same.   I have done over 70 lbs. and I have tested the different temps.  IMHO, higher is not the way to go.   

Now it maybe a different story if they are doing 20lbs. at a time in one big batch.  That I don't know. 

Chau
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:44:35 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
I need to check RD next time I go because I don't remember seeing it before.

I'd like to try making it from curd. I've tried it from milk and... I suck at that, so...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »

Chau

Nice video.  Mr. A would be proud !!!

To help restore the creaminess of a frozen mozz ball to near a fresh ball, after defrosting try nuking it no more than 10-15 seconds for a 6 oz. size.

Bob

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Thanks for posting those great videos!

Really enjoyed them...you keep inspiring us to try new things at home!
 8)
-Bill

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
I have done over 70 lbs.

Damn that's a lot of cheese. Do you only use this cheese now for all pizza or do you buy different cheese for NY style type pies?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
Chau,

They both were very good videos!  You never cease to amaze me with your many talents.  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
Chau,

They both were very good videos!  You never cease to amaze me with your many talents.  :chef:

Norma

Norma,

He's almost the Criss Angel of all things pizza related. Almost...  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Chau, nice video.

One small observation. Commercial food wrap frequently comes with a coating. I'm not sure if the coating is a plasticizer or if it's to provide non stick properties (or both).  What I can say is that this coating tastes and smells horrendous. The wrap you're using may be fine, or it may not.  Open the box, stick your head in and give it a really good sniff.  If there is no smell, you're fine.  If you get a strong rancid odor, then that's the taste you're transferring to the food.

About a year and half ago all my local supermarkets switch to this wrap for meat. Grrr... It's bad enough for meat, but when you use it for mildly flavored foods like mozzarella and white chocolate the taste from the coating is really noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:25:54 PM by scott123 »

Offline Lespaul20

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:41:49 PM »
Thanks for the video. Very informative. I noticed several views at the time I watched and no likes so I changed that. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
Thanks all, I appreciate the nice words.  

Ron, it's not you.  I have tried every which way to make fresh mozz from store bought milk.  I have tried numerous brands of milk including organic milk.  Bottom line is old milk doesn't make good fresh cheese.  Yes you can make a cheese that looks and melts like mozz, but it just won't be that good.   I have heard from several members that the cheese made from raw milk is great.  That I can believe.  Cheese made from bought curd is much less time consuming to make and yields a much better product.

Bobino, thank you for all your help and tips when I was learning about how to make cheese.

Do you only use this cheese now for all pizza or do you buy different cheese for NY style type pies?
I have only made cheese from Belgioso curd and Polly O curd and I prefer the Polly O over the Belgioso.  I can say that the cheese made from Belgioso curd is better than the store bought one if you don't cook all the butter fat out of it and don't overstretch it.   Polly O made from curd is a great cheese.  Melts nice, has a good mouth feel and flavor, and isn't rubbery even after the slice has cooled.  

I do use this Polly-O for both my hybrid pies and some of my trial NP pies, but it is better for NY and hybrid pies.  I typically like to mix the Polly-O with Stella or another shredded block mozz and blend of aged cheeses for flavor (Parm/Pecorino/Asiago).

For NP style, I like a ultra white looking cheese that is softer to replicate  the look of bufala.   The polly-o is more of a cream color and when thawed it is not quite as soft as other fresh mozz cheese.  For NP, I recently tried the Calabro brand fior di latte and that gives a closer look to bufala.  There are a host of other bleached white fresh mozz to choose from the local grocery stores, but all that I have tried produced inferior results.    

I have posted this before, but if anyone is a fan of the high quality fresh mozz Di Palo sells, it is made from Polly-O curd.  If I order their cheese I have to order at least 10 lbs to make it worthwhile, and with shipping the cost is about $12/lb.  If I make my own cheese using the same curd (and the cheese taste the same to me  ;D) it is less than $3/lb.  Gotta love that.  

The only caveat about this curd is that it comes in 2 (21 lb)  blocks so you'll have to find a friend to split it or do what I do, make 10lbs at a time over several weeks and freeze the extra.  

Norma - Making cheese from curd is a very easy and relaxing process.  Anyone can do it.  If you can boil water....and add a bit of salt, you can make cheese.   ;D

Mike - Chris Angel's magic is mind blowing.  I can't even say that I am almost the Chris Angel of things related to pizza making.  That would be too big of a compliment, but thank you.

The cool thing about making your own cheese and doing other things pizza related, is that we can in fact demystify the hype and magic that is so pervasive.  

LesPaul - thank you for the vote.

Scott - Thank you for the tip.  I don't smell anything funny.  The brand of plastic wrap is Bakers & Chefs from Costco or Sams.  If anyone is using this brand and smells something odd, let me know.  

Chau
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:11:21 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
Thanks all, I appreciate the nice words.  

Ron, it's not you.  I have tried every which way to make fresh mozz from store bought milk.  I have tried numerous brands of milk including organic milk.  Bottom line is old milk doesn't make good fresh cheese.  Yes you can make a cheese that looks and melts like mozz, but it just won't be that good.   I have heard from several members that the cheese made from raw milk is great.  That I can believe.  Cheese made from bought curd is much less time consuming to make and yields a much better product.
I've made it from raw milk before... still sucked... and it was friggin EXPENSIVE. It was $6 for the gallon of raw milk from a local organic farm. I can't justify that price for experimenting to get it right, considering you can get about 12-16 ounces out of a gallon.

I'm definitely interested in the curd now.

Thanks for posting the video. You did a great job on it.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

Scott

Great point re: plastic wrap.  I had a 3000 sq. foot roll from Costco last year under the Kirkland name that had a strong chemical smell and felt greasy/oily so I had to chuck it.   The packaging was before the present  "Stretch-Tite" packaging.

Bob

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
Chau,
Looks like an audition tape for the Next Food Network Star..laid back style.
You make it look easy.
Have you used the Grande curd ?
Penn Mac offers that one in 1 pound increments.
Perry

Offline Darth Pizza

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
how do you make the curd?
May the crust be with you...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Thank you Perry.

how do you make the curd?

Darth, you don't make the curd but rather buy it.  This is discussed in the video and following posts.  Did you like the video?

Chau

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:39 PM »
chau, nice video i have never washed my curd . i am going to try that in the morning.i was told that curd needs to hit 135 degrees internally to cook.looks like your method accomplishes that.i got  some grande fresh ovoline last week that made amazing pizza. i am going to see if your method will yield a nice soft milky cheese. that is similar to the ovoline.

pizzapan