Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 400783 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2225 on: August 23, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
I want to use less but is there really a way that the dough won't stick on the peel?
that's my current nightmare.

are wooden peels more reliable regarding launching the pie?

Over fermentation brings the moisture to the surface and that's why over fermented dough balls are even more difficult to handle: not just too much air and the gluten structure is getting weaker and weaker but also the bench flour sticks to your wet dough and you have no chance to get rid of it.

If your dough is a bit too warm it can make it a lot more difficult to launch as well.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2226 on: August 25, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »
Craig - I've been following your recipe for over 2 years and with great success.  However, I just cracked my key SD starter jar, and had to go to the backup starter which has been challenging to say the least in revival.  I don't think I will have time to use SD for pizzas this weekend.  Should I just use the equivalent % amount of ADY or IDY?  Or is that just not up for discussion?  :(

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2227 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Craig - I've been following your recipe for over 2 years and with great success.  However, I just cracked my key SD starter jar, and had to go to the backup starter which has been challenging to say the least in revival.  I don't think I will have time to use SD for pizzas this weekend.  Should I just use the equivalent % amount of ADY or IDY?  Or is that just not up for discussion?  :(

That would be waaaaaaaay too much yeast. This table can help you convert: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2228 on: August 26, 2016, 11:40:59 PM »
That would be waaaaaaaay too much yeast. This table can help you convert: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933
Thanks sir - I never saw that chart before!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #2229 on: August 27, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
I want to use less but is there really a way that the dough won't stick on the peel?
that's my current nightmare.

are wooden peels more reliable regarding launching the pie?

I can't comment on whether wooden peels are more reliable, but I've used one from the get go with no launch issues - other than the occasional fail due to lapses in my technique.   Another important factor to consider is the amount of time the pie spends on the peel - the longer the more chance it will stick.  Once I get a pie onto the peel I want it into the oven ASAP.  You definitely don't want to be dressing the pie on the peel, that's a recipe for near-certain doom.

For now I'd use plenty of bench flour, move as quickly as you can within reason.   As Craig says, with experience you can use less flour.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #2230 on: August 28, 2016, 05:35:21 AM »
That is what i like about the Neapolitan way, to prepare on the marble don't overstretch the dough, stretch it while pulling it on the Pala (peel) and stretch it again for size and shape and launch it as fast as possible with one pull.

I never tried a metal peel, but dough can stick to wood as wel, if the sauce bleeds through overstretched or oververmented dough.

Try Semolina Rimancata, these tiny hard semolina grains are exelent ball-bearings to help stretch and launch your pizza.

Offline George_M

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2231 on: September 13, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »
Hi Craig,
In my last try to make pizza dough i get a problem.
I leave the balls for 6hours in a room 35C or 95F and the balls not double it but goes x10  :-D
When i try to open it,of course they destroyed because it was full of air..
I didn't keep photos to show you... :(
Any ideas to my fault?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2232 on: September 13, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
Hi Craig,
In my last try to make pizza dough i get a problem.
I leave the balls for 6hours in a room 35C or 95F and the balls not double it but goes x10  :-D
When i try to open it,of course they destroyed because it was full of air..
I didn't keep photos to show you... :(
Any ideas to my fault?

Too much yeast/culture for temperature that high. Use one of these tables to adjust:
Sourdough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0
Yeast: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

Offline esper50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2233 on: September 13, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
Hi Craig

First , thanks a lot for all the knowledge I have gained from your posts , lately I bought an acunto oven and the only Napoletan flour I could fine in Middle East is 5 stagioni Napoletana , I contacted them for the best formula for pizza and they gave me (55% HYD , 0.0005 IDY , 2.8% salt) , min 4 bulk and 12 ball at 20C

When I used this formula I had no leopards and crisp pizza , quick browning also , something very similar to what you posted the first time you used the flour in 2012

Can you share your ultimate recipe for 5stagioni  Napoletana ?

I share a pic , sorry not perfect as yours but they are my first try :)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:02:42 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2234 on: September 13, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
Hi Craig

First , thanks a lot for all the knowledge I have gained from your posts , lately I bought an acunto oven and the only Napoletan flour I could fine in Middle East is 5 stagioni Napoletana , I contacted them for the best formula for pizza and they gave me (55% HYD , 0.0005 IDY , 2.8% salt) , min 4 bulk and 12 ball at 20C

When I used this formula I had no leopards and crisp pizza , quick browning also , something very similar to what you posted the first time you used the flour in 2012

Can you share your ultimate recipe for 5stagioni  Napoletana ?

I share a pic , sorry not perfect as yours but they are my first try :)

I think your pizza looks very good. All I remember about the 5Staginoi is that it was very thirsty. I think I was at 65-67% Hyd. Everything else, I did pretty much the same I a do with any other flour - 2.8% yeast and whatever yeast or culture I need to hit my target ferment time.

Offline esper50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2235 on: September 13, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »
Thank you !!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2236 on: September 13, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
When is the next summit, I am jonesing.

Offline George_M

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2237 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
Too much yeast/culture for temperature that high. Use one of these tables to adjust:
Sourdough: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0
Yeast: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933
So,5 hours fermentation at 35oC i must used 0.024% IDY? I read the table correct Craig?
I think that i used 0,16%... :-\

I used 1kg flour and 1,6gr IDY
I must used 0,24gr IDY if i understand correct.
Thanks Craig!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2238 on: September 14, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
Yes, you read the table right.

Offline George_M

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2239 on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Nice !
Next time I will control it better .
You will make me master  ;D
Btw you can see my new oven.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=44815.0
I hope my next pizza will be in my wood oven .

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2240 on: September 14, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
I saw your beautiful oven! Look forward to the pizza.

wordpress