Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 176150 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1680 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »

Have to use it?  Why?
When you and Scott123 changed them at about the same time to similar themes "Hear, See, Speak no evil"  I expected to see a Sgt. Schultz Avatar on Pete-zza or Norma!  What gives?  Did Tampa put you up to it?
I`ll say this one time and then let`s leave it alone fellas......they got censored, along with a couple posts of mine in there too during a friendly banter/conversation...no swearing or threats or any of that fun excitement yet our stuff got yanked.So I think you can fill in the blanks about the avatar pics.
End of story.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1681 on: August 13, 2014, 02:16:30 AM »
Thanks, CB.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #1682 on: August 13, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
Craig, when you remove the dough mass from your mixer, do you have a little bit of dry-ish pieces that haven't been incorporated into the rest?  And if so, do you pick them out, or knead them into the dough during your slap and folds?  I use a KA mixer like you, and I find that the last bit of flour doesn't want to incorporate into the rest of the dough mass.  I can feel these little hard chunks of less-hydrated dough when I'm doing the slap and folds, and it bugs me.  I have no idea if they eventually become incorporated into the rest of the mass during the ferment, but I would guess that they do not.  That can't be good for the final product.  Just curious if you have an easy way of dealing with that.
It's evolution, baby

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1683 on: August 13, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Craig, when you remove the dough mass from your mixer, do you have a little bit of dry-ish pieces that haven't been incorporated into the rest?  And if so, do you pick them out, or knead them into the dough during your slap and folds?  I use a KA mixer like you, and I find that the last bit of flour doesn't want to incorporate into the rest of the dough mass.  I can feel these little hard chunks of less-hydrated dough when I'm doing the slap and folds, and it bugs me.  I have no idea if they eventually become incorporated into the rest of the mass during the ferment, but I would guess that they do not.  That can't be good for the final product.  Just curious if you have an easy way of dealing with that.

No I let it mix until everything is incorporated and homogeneous and then a bit more for good measure. It's smooth in the sense that there are no lumps, but it doesn't get smooth and silky looking/feeling until a couple iterations of rests and kneadings.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #1684 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »
Thanks..  I guess I've been worried about overworking my dough and have been taking it out a bit too early.  I usually try to get it out of the machine within 5-6 minutes, but it would probably benefit from another minute or two.  I'll have to try fooling around with the spatula I use, too.
It's evolution, baby

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #1685 on: August 14, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
You may try move the speed up to medium for a very small duration as it kneads and incorporates everything.  I have a planetary and if I keep it low the whole time I will get what you are talking about.  I start on low, then when mixed I give about a 30 second medium mix and that seems to do the trick.  In a KA you will need to play with it.  I then do a 20 minute rest and then about 4 minutes on low to finish the dough.  Once out of the bowl and on the counter for about 10 minutes it is baby smooth. Just what I do.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1686 on: August 14, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
Good point about going to a higher speed if necessary (though with my normal batch size, speeds 2-10 are exactly the same).

I've found if I let it rest in the mixer and then try to mix again, it just climbs up the c-hook and stays there. If it let it, it would climb right up into the gears.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #1687 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
I just switched to the spiral hook, which definitely prevents the dough from climbing into the gears, but opens up this new problem, which I didn't really experience with the C-hook.  I'll try the faster mix speed and see if that helps.  I'm trying to get away from having to babysit the dough with a spatula, if possible.  I'm lazy, I know.
It's evolution, baby

Online vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1688 on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
I just switched to the spiral hook, which definitely prevents the dough from climbing into the gears, but opens up this new problem, which I didn't really experience with the C-hook.  I'll try the faster mix speed and see if that helps.  I'm trying to get away from having to babysit the dough with a spatula, if possible.  I'm lazy, I know.
I have noticed this as well with the spiral and i just actually pull up the bowl to let the hook reach the bottom. It will incorporate that way after about  40 seconds. Then just snap it back down. At slow speeds its not dangerous. Would not do at higher speeds...  be careful out there guys.. ;D