Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 57038 times)

waysandmeans and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rsaha

• I'm so confused...
Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
I am wondering about slap and fold vs. stretch and fold. I watched the video posted at the beginning of this thread. It appears to be an aggressive slap and fold. I also see a lot of references to stretch and fold which, googling a bit, seems to be a much gentler approach. Do you still use the aggressive slap and fold technique?

Also, in your initial mixing in the KA do you use the lowest speed? I have been using speed 2 and am wondering if I am overworking the dough. I find it hard to get it much past 12 inches and I never have the cornice as big as you do. I am using 275g balls.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
I error on the side of undermixing in the KA. I use both speed 1 and 2 - but mostly 1. After all the flour is in, I probably only mix for 3 minutes or so. I'm pretty aggressive with the stretch-and-folds.

What sort of flour are you using?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rsaha

• I'm so confused...
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
Finally got some Caputo Pizzeria. Before that I was using Polselli. Ischia starter - probably coming up on a couple months since I started it. I have been using the original recipe - 5 minutes - and I have been on speed 2. I will try cutting back to 3 minutes mostly on speed 1 and will do the aggressive stretch and fold. Thanks, as always, for your help.

Offline kickz28

« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »
Hi Craig,

I've been using your recipe for my NP pizzas lately. But I'm looking at your pics in your first post in the thread, and your dough seems to be a lot more stretchy than mine. How hard are you pulling on the dough to stretch it like that? (pic #5) I don't think mine would stretch as much even if I pulled on it hard, it would probably just rip.

Hydration is 62.5%, flour is Caputo pizzeria. I don't have an electric mixer so I do everything by hand. Could I be not kneading enough?

Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
Hi Craig,

I've been using your recipe for my NP pizzas lately. But I'm looking at your pics in your first post in the thread, and your dough seems to be a lot more stretchy than mine. How hard are you pulling on the dough to stretch it like that? (pic #5) I don't think mine would stretch as much even if I pulled on it hard, it would probably just rip.

Hydration is 62.5%, flour is Caputo pizzeria. I don't have an electric mixer so I do everything by hand. Could I be not kneading enough?

Thanks

How long are you letting it rest between kneadings?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline kickz28

« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
How long are you letting it rest between kneadings?

About 7-8 minutes.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
Try 10 minutes.

I'm not pulling on it very hard at all.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline kickz28

« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Try 10 minutes.

I'm not pulling on it very hard at all.

Alright I'll try again next time. Thanks!

Offline George_M

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #228 on: Yesterday at 01:35:53 PM »
9) Put it in a container and let it ferment in bulk for 24 hours at ~65F. Ideally, you will see virtually no rise after 24 hours. You should maybe start to see some tiny little bubbles forming. This is how I do my bulk ferment: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18509.msg179991.html#msg179991
10) Ball the dough (make them tight without tearing the skin) and let ferment another 20-24 hours. I use lightly oiled individual Rubbermaid tubs. I use 250g balls for a 13” pizza. If you want a very large cornice, use 275g.

Dough trays are fine too but a little touchier as the balls will come together and will need to be cut apart and lifted out with a scraper. With the lightly oiled tubs, the dough ball just rolls right out onto your flour pile. Start the ball fermentation at ~65F in the same set-up you use for your bulk. After 12 hours, you’ll have to pay attention to what is going on and either keep it at 65F or let it warm as high as 78F or so to get the balls ready when you want them ready.
Hi,
When you say for 24hours and 12 hours, you mean out of refrigerator,if i understand correct.
But this can occur any mould at the dough?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #229 on: Yesterday at 01:41:34 PM »
Hi,
When you say for 24hours and 12 hours, you mean out of refrigerator,if i understand correct.
But this can occur any mould at the dough?

Yes, when making dough with sourdough, I would NEVER use the refrigerator for extended fermentation. Maybe for an hour or so to slow things down near the end, but never for an extended period.

Mold is not a concern.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline George_M

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #230 on: Today at 11:49:30 AM »
Thanks.
I will read more in future but now i build my 36" Oven  ;D