Author Topic: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage  (Read 82005 times)

Offline dylandylan

Re: The Entire Pizza Making Process I use at the Garage
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
Saw this and thought of you Craig, would look equally good filled to the ears with chili oil.

http://www.wholesaleitalianfood.com/tutto-calabria-long-hot-chili-peppers-glass-jar-pig.html

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
That's awesome.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jpdebs52

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #277 on: April 30, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
Hey Craig
Thank you so much for the information you have posted. I was wondering how do you control the rise of dough that you will want to use later in the day.  After the 24 hour ball rise do you put them in the refrigerator. So if you are baking pies at 1pm then you want to bake at 8pm. Also the IDY I see you said .03% so if you are using 500 grams of flour you are saying to use 1.5 grams of yeast?

Thank you very much. Your knowledge is unbelievable

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #278 on: April 30, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
I was wondering how do you control the rise of dough that you will want to use later in the day. 

I time my dough to be ready when I'm ready to bake, and it has a good 8 hours or more window of usability. I can count on one hand how many times I've started my bake before 6pm, so 8 hours is more than enough. I'm pretty sure it could go 10-12 with no problem if I kept it 66-68F or so.

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »
Hey Craig - what's the lowest %'age you've dropped the salt to in your formula?  I'm looking to reduce the amount of sodium in my diet and trying to figure out how far to take it without compromising the great results?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
Hey Craig - what's the lowest %'age you've dropped the salt to in your formula?  I'm looking to reduce the amount of sodium in my diet and trying to figure out how far to take it without compromising the great results?

2.7%

I'm sure you can go lower. My gut feeling is that below 2.0%, you will start loosing quality rapidly.

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2015, 09:51:02 PM »
thanks Craig!

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Hi Craig,

If I use fresh yeast or dry yeast, what amounts should I be using?
I know they are not great but which one do you recommend of the two?

TIA,
Michele

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
Hi Craig,

If I use fresh yeast or dry yeast, what amounts should I be using?
I know they are not great but which one do you recommend of the two?

TIA,
Michele

They can be great - just different. I made some with IDY a couple weeks ago. 0.025% IDY is pretty much a direct swap for the sourdough culture: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg379254#msg379254

This table can help you find a starting point for IDY/ADY/CY at other time/temp combinations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
They can be great - just different. I made some with IDY a couple weeks ago. 0.025% IDY is pretty much a direct swap for the sourdough culture: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg379254#msg379254

This table can help you find a starting point for IDY/ADY/CY at other time/temp combinations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

Thank you.
So between Fresh Yeast, ADY or IDY, is there one you would recommend?
Also, i picked up this from the supermarket, what do you think? http://redstaryeast.com/platinum/product-info/

And last but not least, how can I get some leoparding on my crust?? :)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
Thank you.
So between Fresh Yeast, ADY or IDY, is there one you would recommend?
Also, i picked up this from the supermarket, what do you think? http://redstaryeast.com/platinum/product-info/

And last but not least, how can I get some leoparding on my crust?? :)

I like IDY. I don't know anything about the Red Star Platinum. It's IDY with some sort of dough conditioner.

The best advice I can give for leoparding is longer fermentation (24 hours+) and high heat (850F+).

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »

...The best advice I can give for leoparding is longer fermentation (24 hours+) and high heat (850F+).

...and keep your doughballs on the cool side, not cold. And don't let them get warm.

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:29 AM »

So basically on 2 kg of flour I would only put 0.5 g of IDY?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »
So basically on 2 kg of flour I would only put 0.5 g of IDY?

Yes.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »
I like IDY. I don't know anything about the Red Star Platinum. It's IDY with some sort of dough conditioner.

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20951.msg209888#msg209888

Peter

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Yes.

Thanks Craig.
I couldn't really measure 0.5 grams on my scale so I may have put around 1 gram of IDY.
It has been already 15 hours but I was thinking to keep it for 24 hours in bulk and 20 hours in balls.
Temp is 65f
How should I proceed?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Since you are using IDY, if it looks like it's progressing too fast, throw it in the fridge. If you think you put in 1g, I'd probably suggest balling it and putting it in the fridge now. Extra time in balls won't be much of a big deal if the time is in the fridge. Just be sure to give the balls a couple hours at room temp before you bake them.

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:42 AM »
Craig
Newbie on this thread ;) Want to try to make a Neapolitan. Still getting there for the NY style but would love to experience and make the naples famous :D

I saw you mentioning about different red caputo flours. If there are multiple, does 00 red caputo work for neapolitan or is there a specific in 00 itself that I need to buy?

Will 24 hr day ferment good for this or should I follow the 48 hr one ? I also see no ADY or IDY, so do I need to prep the fully active yeast or borrow it? I also saw 40-45F of water. Isnt that too cold for yeast?

Appreciate your responses.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »
Craig
Newbie on this thread ;) Want to try to make a Neapolitan. Still getting there for the NY style but would love to experience and make the naples famous :D

I saw you mentioning about different red caputo flours. If there are multiple, does 00 red caputo work for neapolitan or is there a specific in 00 itself that I need to buy?

Will 24 hr day ferment good for this or should I follow the 48 hr one ? I also see no ADY or IDY, so do I need to prep the fully active yeast or borrow it? I also saw 40-45F of water. Isnt that too cold for yeast?

Appreciate your responses.

Any of those flours will work. The odds of you seeing Caputo Renforzato whichcomes in the 25kg red bag are probably slim. You might find Caputo Chef's Flour which comes in a 1kg red bag. The one I prefer is Caputo Pizzeria which comes in a 25kg blue bag. Sometimes you can find it repacked in smaller bags or sold in bulk. There are other '00' flours that will work as well.

For 24 hours, I would use 0.06% IDY and probably do all 24 hours in balls. For 48 hours, I'd use 0.025% and do 24 hours in bulk and 24 hours in balls. In both cases, I'd keep the dough around 60F the whole time. You can use this table to help find other starting places: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

I do use cold water as you noted. The method described in this thread using a tiny quantity of yeast and extended fermentation at room temperature is not the easiest way to make dough. It will require experimentation and tweaking to get it to come out the way you want it.

If you have never had Neapolitan pizza, you might first find a Neapolitan pizzeria and go try it so that you know what is the target you are trying to replicate. If "Bay area" on your profile means San Francisco, you will have no problem finding a good place to try.

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
Any of those flours will work. The odds of you seeing Caputo Renforzato whichcomes in the 25kg red bag are probably slim. You might find Caputo Chef's Flour which comes in a 1kg red bag. The one I prefer is Caputo Pizzeria which comes in a 25kg blue bag. Sometimes you can find it repacked in smaller bags or sold in bulk. There are other '00' flours that will work as well.

For 24 hours, I would use 0.06% IDY and probably do all 24 hours in balls. For 48 hours, I'd use 0.025% and do 24 hours in bulk and 24 hours in balls. In both cases, I'd keep the dough around 60F the whole time. You can use this table to help find other starting places: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

I do use cold water as you noted. The method described in this thread using a tiny quantity of yeast and extended fermentation at room temperature is not the easiest way to make dough. It will require experimentation and tweaking to get it to come out the way you want it.

If you have never had Neapolitan pizza, you might first find a Neapolitan pizzeria and go try it so that you know what is the target you are trying to replicate. If "Bay area" on your profile means San Francisco, you will have no problem finding a good place to try.

My fave is Una, Tony's place and yes I love Neapolitan + Ny. Let me try first the thread you pointed and will go from there.

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »
Since you are using IDY, if it looks like it's progressing too fast, throw it in the fridge. If you think you put in 1g, I'd probably suggest balling it and putting it in the fridge now. Extra time in balls won't be much of a big deal if the time is in the fridge. Just be sure to give the balls a couple hours at room temp before you bake them.

Here is what came out... let me know what you think!
The bottoms were not burnt at all, soI'm very happy with that..
The dough is still a little too soft, and not crunchy.
I don't know why I cant get any leoparding on it...any ideas?
I am using Blackstone oven btw.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:51:16 PM by MicheleR »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
Here is what came out... let me know what you think!
The bottoms were not burnt at all, soI'm very happy with that..
The dough is still a little too soft, and not crunchy.
I don't know why I cant get any leoparding on it...any ideas?
I am using Blackstone oven btw.

I think they look pretty good for a first effort. The crumb should be very soft and tender with no crunch in the crust. I like just the most paper thin of an outer shell on the cornicione, but certainly nothing that would be called crunchy.

I see signs of leoparding. How long did you ferment? Post some pictures of your risen dough next time and we can give more thoughts. If you can ferment a ball in a clear plastic tub and get a picture of the underside, that would be helpful. I think you will get there with time and experimentation. Learning to make great pizza takes a lot of work.

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:45 PM »
I think they look pretty good for a first effort. The crumb should be very soft and tender with no crunch in the crust. I like just the most paper thin of an outer shell on the cornicione, but certainly nothing that would be called crunchy.

I see signs of leoparding. How long did you ferment? Post some pictures of your risen dough next time and we can give more thoughts. If you can ferment a ball in a clear plastic tub and get a picture of the underside, that would be helpful. I think you will get there with time and experimentation. Learning to make great pizza takes a lot of work.

Thank you.
I fermented in bulk for around 22 hours, I left in the fridge balled for around 20 hours and left it out for 1-2 hours with the top of the tub open.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
Fermenting in the fridge slows everything down - not just the yeast. I think if you push it out to 48 hours, you will see more leoparding. Likewise, 24 hours up in the 60's should help with leoparding.

Offline NestorP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #299 on: Yesterday at 01:37:30 AM »
"Did this help"....

YES!  This all helped immensely.

Thanks again

Rene, I donít include the water and flour in the culture in the hydration calculation. I keep my culture at about 80% hydration, but I do this by eye. I donít measure when I feed it. As such , it kicks up the formula hydration by a little less than 1%.  This works well because I use such a low and narrow range of starter % (1.1-1.5%). If I was using a lot of starter or changing from small to large % and vice versa, I would need to include the starter in the formula calculation.

5.5g culture is correct in your example above. Did you completely dissolve the culture into the water? I donít like to rely on the mixing process to evenly distribute the culture with such small quantities.

I see very little rise in the first 24 hours. This is what I want. I just want to see the beginnings of activity when I ball the dough. In the last 12 hours, Iíll watch the dough to make sure it is progressing as expected. It can be gently warmed or cooled if necessary.

Here is the spreadsheet I use to calculate my quantities: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuvMQbzk5INUdE1mVkMyOEY2My1sc1phRTJBSmo5TVE#gid=0

Here is how I make my dough if you have not seen it:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202047.html#msg202047

Here is the whole process: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20479.msg202069.html#msg202069

Did this help?

CL

pizzapan