Author Topic: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas  (Read 30177 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Pizza Ruby, A Little Black Egg & Pizzas
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Stupendous!  Exhilaratingly mouthwatering! 

I'll second Bob- if I had results like that, my wife might actually try a slice!  And that's "when hell freezes over" territory.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »
Kelly,

Your pizza is sure looks great!  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
Stupendous!  Exhilaratingly mouthwatering! 

I'll second Bob- if I had results like that, my wife might actually try a slice!  And that's "when hell freezes over" territory.

'Cmon Brian...we've all seen your work. No wife could ever be THAT elusive.... :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Could you please post a pic or model # of the Hobart you are working with?

Bob, here is a pic of the 60qt Hobart and the badge with the model number and other relevant information. Thanks --k   :)

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »
Still several cooking issues to deal with, but getting the mixing much better at least.

Some pies from yesterday:

White: fior-di-latte (Grande Ovoline), garlic infused olive oil, basil, pecorino romano & parmigiano-reggiano (post bake)
Hampdenite: margherita with cherry tomatoes, Aleppo chiles & Calabrian chile oil/chiles (post bake)
Cherry Bomb: sauce, garlic infused OO, basil, Aleppo chiles, cherry tomatoes & Calabrian chile oil/chiles (post bake)
Margherita

Need a smaller dough blade to extract the balls from the tray now that I am putting 8 per container. The corner balls are tricky to get out. Hence the Hampdenite pie above not being round at all.

Thanks Craig! The calabrian chile oil/chiles is fantastic. And a smash hit at the stand....those that ordered either the Cherry Bomb or the Hampdenite raved about it.

Back to oven tinkering.....

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
Kelly, try a putty knife - about $4 at home depot.  You can get 'em any size you want.  The silicon ones might work best for you.

Looking at your pics & hearing about the rave reviews of your new toppings, I was curious about whether you've made a splash in terms of buzz.  A brief google turned up the old post we already saw from your 2nd week.

I really think you're ready for some exposure!  The weather looks like it will be cooperating for a while, and you've got those recipes nailed.  I have no idea what "oven issues" you are referring to - the bakes look superb.  You are seriously ready to show off your stuff.  Any plans to invite some foodies? Critics? Bloggers? Reporters?

Offline FacciaPizza

« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
The hampdenite looks fantastic

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
I think the Cherry Bomb is daring an brilliant with no cheese on it.....get many orders for this one Kelly?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
Kelly, try a putty knife - about $4 at home depot.  You can get 'em any size you want.  The silicon ones might work best for you.

Yes, the silicon may be the way to go. I bought a metal one at HoDe two weeks ago. They put the barcode sticker on the metal part of all their spatulas. Tough to get off and when washed it turns a strange color that looks dirty. Maybe a reaction to the Brillo pad somehow. But the silicon is the next step, yes. Thanks.

Looking at your pics & hearing about the rave reviews of your new toppings, I was curious about whether you've made a splash in terms of buzz.  A brief google turned up the old post we already saw from your 2nd week.

Some buzz....a person connected to The Sun's food section is now a regular at the stand. A local newscaster from CBS 13 Morning Edition just tried a pizza Sunday and loved it. Got a business card with the relevant contact information on it.

Best part of this Sunday was one of my more loyal regulars just revealed he works for Baltimore City and passed on contact information for when I need to get permitting and licensing issues taken care of with the brick and mortar location. Said the person would help move things along "more efficiently". Nice!  :)

I really think you're ready for some exposure!  The weather looks like it will be cooperating for a while, and you've got those recipes nailed.  I have no idea what "oven issues" you are referring to - the bakes look superb.  You are seriously ready to show off your stuff.  Any plans to invite some foodies? Critics? Bloggers? Reporters?

I'm not sure about actually inviting bloggers or others to the stand. Firmly believe the best reviews are spontaneous, "grassroots" type of deals where a person discovers a place and has a positive experience as opposed to being invited to the place. But I'm on the fence here about this, so we'll see.

The main oven issue is that I really have only one oven worth a hoot. I'm thinking the PSI of the regulator on my second Cajun Cooker is not as high as my first cooker. Cannot say as each regulator looks the same. Everything else is virtually identical. I made templates for the bottom and side vent cuts, so both ovens have the same cutouts. The venturi settings on both are the same (all the way open) and during service the regulator valve levels are the same (all the way open). Same pizza stones, same quarry tile cutouts, same cast iron pans in the lid, same cast iron skillet bottom deflectors...same everything except the seond LBE cannot cook a pizza for s&^t.

My cook times on the good oven are still too long. Consistently between 3:20 and 3:55 during busy rushes (and in the mid 2 minutes otherwise). Aside from this altering the texture of the pies, not having two ovens to produce good pizzas hampers maximum output at the stand. On the days I have sold 50+ pizzas, it is very difficult to produce that output (as most of the people come during the last 90 minues). With two good ovens, I would be able to deal with that level (50 pies) more efficiently and could likely to 80 or so pies on a given Sunday.

My regular job has not allowed me any time during the week to tinker much, so it is a slow road to China with the ovens. But I make do the best I can with what I have to work with and like the challenge. BTW I need to swing by and drop off some starter either this week or next on a weeknight. --K

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
The hampdenite looks fantastic

Thank you!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
I think the Cherry Bomb is daring an brilliant with no cheese on it.....get many orders for this one Kelly?

Not too many. Looking at the tickets there were 6 ordered. And I made one and gave half to the owner of the Vegan sweets stand next to me and the other half to the owner of the Granola stand a few spaces down. I usually make one or two pizzas and send halves out to the vendors around me.

On this one I added the Aleppo both pre and post-bake. Makes the sauce and cherry tomatoes pop. And that Calabrian chile oil/flakes makes you forget there is no cheese on the pie.

I'm not eager to find out, but I'm fairly certain you could put bird droppings on a pizza and it would be tasty if it were drizzled with the Calabrian oil/chiles. That stuff is liquid gold. Thanks Craig! --K

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
The pies look aresome Kelly. Glad you like the chilies. It's hard for me to imagine pizza without them.

CL
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Kelly,
  You're welcome here anytime.  I'll look forward to chatting about your b&m plans.

re your oven disparity...
have you tried using a methodical approach of elimination, where you have two lists of parts of each setup, and go down the list, swapping them until you isolate the culprit?

Brian

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
The main oven issue is that I really have only one oven worth a hoot. I'm thinking the PSI of the regulator on my second Cajun Cooker is not as high as my first cooker.

If all the hardware is identical on these 2 LBE's....then it must be a fuel problem. Check the lines for any obstruction. It's rare for a regulator to go bad but thats not to say it's factory setting could be off. Maybe try disconnecting both at the grill and listen to the gas flow sound for any noticeable differences between the two. Good luck...and put that cigarette out!  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
Yes, what Brian just said while I was posting....tried swapping regulators yet?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Yes, what Brian just said while I was posting....tried swapping regulators yet?

Type faster, Bob!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »
No, no...I was jus agreeing that the process of elimination was a good idea Brian and I wasn't ignoring what you had said. In fact , that is really the easiest thing to do first....swapping regulators.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
It's the last thing I have not done (swapping regulators).

Literally swapped out everything, including the lids and the issues are the same. Which is why I am questioning the regulator.

We'll see this week.

Thanks! --K

scott123

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »
Kelly are you still having any issues with hearth recovery? This occurred to me the other day. Run a steel rod/bolt through the midsection of the grill (underneath the stone), drill a hole through the cast iron skillet and then run a heavy duty steel wire through that hole, up over the rod and then out a hole in the side, connecting the wire to a piece of wood so you can grab it. You can pull the wire and one side of the cast iron skillet will rise (like a damper). Once you have the wire where you want it, you can clamp it with a pair of vice grips and prevent the skillet from dropping. In the lowest position, you have the most deflection, and in the top, the least.

Even if you don't go with an adjustable damper-like approach, I'd still, rather than going with an 8" pan, just find a way to angle the skillet up towards the back, maybe 60 degrees.  This will not only do a better job of directing the heat where you want it (up the back and into the air foil scoop), but it should also, being at an angle, deflect less heat overall. Propping the up the skillet might also prevent less heat from collecting in the lower grill area and possibly help to prevent rippling.

Some buzz....a person connected to The Sun's food section is now a regular at the stand. A local newscaster from CBS 13 Morning Edition just tried a pizza Sunday and loved it. Got a business card with the relevant contact information on it.

Best part of this Sunday was one of my more loyal regulars just revealed he works for Baltimore City and passed on contact information for when I need to get permitting and licensing issues taken care of with the brick and mortar location. Said the person would help move things along "more efficiently". Nice!  :)

"All right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"  ;D

I hope that as you are vaulted into this well deserved and inevitable stardom, you won't forget us little folks.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »
I'm not eager to find out, but I'm fairly certain you could put bird droppings on a pizza and it would be tasty if it were drizzled with the Calabrian oil/chiles. That stuff is liquid gold. Thanks Craig! --K

Kelly, could you link me to this "liquid gold" you speak of?

Also, have you considered dough dividers to make for easier extraction? I made these myself from 4" pvc. They work like dream. A nice round pie every time.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
Kelly, could you link me to this "liquid gold" you speak of?

You make it yourself. Easy to do and Craig shows us how!

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19368.0.html

Also, have you considered dough dividers to make for easier extraction? I made these myself from 4" pvc. They work like dream. A nice round pie every time.

Yes, I have considered PVC rounds thanks to your previous posts. Great idea. But my cooler won't fit a tray wide enough to make that feasible....and I'm too lazy to want to add 65 more objects that need to be cleaned!  ;)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
Okay thanks, Kelly.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:21 AM »

Does anyone know if there is any problem using PVC in a foodservice establishment? This is a super brilliant method.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
I recall suggesting this to Kelly a while ago - all you need to do is drape a square of saran wrap over the round, spray it with release spray and drop in the dough.  Throw out the saran wrap after you get the ball out to skin it.  No cleanup, and of course plastic film is widely used in foodservice.

As he noted, the trays won't fit into his cooler.  I suggested gardening flats instead, the kind that are basically basketweave plastic trays.  Good air circulation for cooling the dough, stackable, etc.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Does anyone know if there is any problem using PVC in a foodservice establishment? This is a super brilliant method.

Craig,

Steve is on vacation right now, but at first he did use I think some kind of paper (maybe like wax paper, or something else, then staped it, and spayed with oil)  That also worked well.  I saw that, but forget exactly what he did.  

Norma

Edit:  I think Steve used parchment paper the more I think about it and tried paper clips and also staples.  Anyway it did work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:54:47 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan