Author Topic: Topping cost. Need help?  (Read 280 times)

Offline mcbunny

• I Love Pizza!
Topping cost. Need help?
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
I'm trying to calculate a single 8x10 Detroit pizza cost. My store will sell only Detroit style and only 1 size. I'm from Asia so the ingredients cost may different with you guys who from US and Europe.

1 pie
Flour: 158.02g ~ 0.09243 USD
Cheese: 200g ~ 1.46700 USD
IDY: 0.79g ~ 0.0041949 USD
Water + salt (negligible) and sauce not figured out yet but the whole pie without topping I guess costing about 1.57500 USD

So how do I calculate for a suitable topping cost for every single pizza? Maybe cost of the topping as 30% the total pizza cost? So the pizza will cost 2.25 USD and the topping cost 0.675 USD? Thank you guys so much.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:22:00 AM by mcbunny »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Topping cost. Need help?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:44 AM »
Why would you calculate it differently than you did the flour or cheese? What is the cost per case or pound? How many pizzas will that make? Divide the former by the latter.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mcbunny

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Topping cost. Need help?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
I'm testing with my pies and writing a business plan. A sample pizza with only cheese and sauce is easier to calculate the price. I haven't bought all topping igredients to scale and calculate yet but still have to finish the business plan soon and sending them to my partner. Because the pizza we make will be only in 1 size and selling for 1 price, so I only need to figure out 1 general (common) price, and 1 general cost to make a pizza. So I just wanna know normally how much % the toppings should cost compare to cost of a completed pie. Can you help me with that? And so sorry for my English

Offline the1mu

Topping cost. Need help?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »
It just depends on your toppings and how much you plan to use. Pre-prepared sausage or pepperoni for me are close to the same cost as for cheese on a single pie. Veggies are next to nothing though. So, what kind of toppings are you envisioning and in what combinations?