Author Topic: I Am Applying For A Grant And Need Your Help  (Read 595 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: I Am Applying For A Grant And Need Your Help
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »
Greg,

You might pull the F&B bids from your local school districts (as a start) and see which companies have won the pizza contracts (assuming they are round and uncut). The bids probably will tell you the name of the brokerage company that represents the manufacturer in the area. If not, call the manufacturer and find out who the broker is. Try to get in touch with the person at the brokerage who works with the schools. They might be willing/able to help get your product on the bids for a % of the sale. I'd probably pay the brokerage salesperson a meaningful per-unit SPIF as well as the brokerage $ will be trivial compared to the other products they represent and it may be hard to get much of their time otherwise. Yours is so different from the competition that with a well written spec (what brokers with good relationships inside the schools can often do very well) vendors could only bid your product.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Norma, very simple to clean, crumbs in grooves wipe out easily and with little effort. Depending on the size of the pizza, I can custom make a two side Portion PadL so you can have the equal slice application on both sides

EqualSliceGuy,

Thanks, I will think about it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
EqualSliceGuy,

As can be seen at http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/cutters-and-knives/the-equalizer, the PizzaTools/Lloyd competing Equalizer product is not exactly cheap, and especially so when you add in the Equalizer Boards. Also, depending on the pizza sizes, one might need more than one of these devices. Is that true of your Portion PadL product as well, or is there a sweet spot where only one of your Portion PadLs can handle several of the most common pizza sizes? I also assume in your case, the rocker knife is extra.

Peter

Great question Peter, your concerns will be addresses in the grant application. The Portion PadL can be custom made for single or multiple slice applications. A single side Portion PadL can accommodate a single slice application, like an 8 cut pizza. For those who have a 4 cut and 8 cut application, the single side PadL can do both. For those who have several size pizzas cut into a single slice application, like 12. 14, 16, 18 and 20 inch pizzas, all cut into 8 slices, all centering circles can be custom made at no cost to the PadL.

I custom make a 2 side Portion PadL up to a 16 inch pizza, which is very popular and can accommodate two slice applications and several pizza size centering circles. Example, 8 cut on one side and a 10 cut on the other. This option allows for quite a few pizza size and slice variations, which reduces the need for a second Portion PadL. To custom make a grooved two side PadL, requires a thicker board. Anything over a 16 inch pizza makes a two side PadL uncomfortable to lift.

Peter, it depends what the buyer is looking to do with the Portion PadL. The beauty is that the PadL is custom made. For those who want it for several applications, the two side Portion PadL is the sweet spot. The two side PadL is less than 150.00 with the option for two slice and several slice combinations.

The knife is not included.

Greg Getzinger

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
Greg,

You might pull the F&B bids from your local school districts (as a start) and see which companies have won the pizza contracts (assuming they are round and uncut). The bids probably will tell you the name of the brokerage company that represents the manufacturer in the area. If not, call the manufacturer and find out who the broker is. Try to get in touch with the person at the brokerage who works with the schools. They might be willing/able to help get your product on the bids for a % of the sale. I'd probably pay the brokerage salesperson a meaningful per-unit SPIF as well as the brokerage $ will be trivial compared to the other products they represent and it may be hard to get much of their time otherwise. Yours is so different from the competition that with a well written spec (what brokers with good relationships inside the schools can often do very well) vendors could only bid your product.

Thank you Craig, makes a lot of sense. This is something I had not thought of. I will incorporate this into my marketing plan.
Greg Getzinger

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
There isn't an issue with the two side PadL being flipped between pies? Seems like it would be a sanitation issue?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »
I like Greg's a lot more than the Lloyd's. The Portion PadL is half the price and I'd bet not materially slower, and it's a heck of a lot easier to buy a new roller-cutter than keeping that thing sharp - and you probably aren't going to repair the Lloyds when the kid running the dishwasher bends it.

I hadn't thought about schools, unless they are using a pre-cut pizza, they pretty much would have to have one, and there are a lot of schools out there.

That's how I came up with the Portion PadL. My first school account, we couldn't cut equal slices. At least in the kids eyes. They were choosing bigger slices over others. The cafeteria staff felt the pressure and would hold back the smaller slices, then ask me for a credit. I tried all the equal slice devices out there. Nothing seemed to be very efficient, so I developed something that is efficient and user friendly.

Greg Getzinger

Offline Chris_T

• Vendor
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »
Seems like a great idea to me.  I agree with the others about the FB login though.

For a long time I've noticed that it's actually difficult to cut perfectly even-sized slices.  If you make a small error in alignment, you get a bigger error in the slice size, because you're not just taking area away from one slice... you're also increasing the area of the neighboring slice.  So it compounds.  In some things I'm a perfectionist, yet even I can't seem to slice pizzas into equal-sized slices.

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »
There isn't an issue with the two side PadL being flipped between pies? Seems like it would be a sanitation issue?

Nope, had it thoroughly inspected at the local health department level.
Greg Getzinger

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
I`m sorry but this just seems too cumbersome....trying to align the cutter in the groves and pushing straight across....turning the peel half way through process, etc., etc..

What about rigging an overhead laser that could display red light outline of where pie needs to be cut?  Is that a good idea?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
I`m sorry but this just seems too cumbersome....trying to align the cutter in the groves and pushing straight across....turning the peel half way through process, etc., etc..

What about rigging an overhead laser that could display red light outline of where pie needs to be cut?  Is that a good idea?

Tried that, way too easy :-D
Greg Getzinger

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
Tried that, way too easy :-D
See...I knew you were in it jus for the money!   :P
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
Greg,
There is a PMF member named Andrew Bellucci who was looking for something like what you have. He has a commercial operation and might be a great use case. You may want to reach out to him.  Here is the post he made regarding his needs and reasons:

Looking for an 18" pizza slice/topping outline
on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:34 AM

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
Greg,
There is a PMF member named Andrew Bellucci who was looking for something like what you have. He has a commercial operation and might be a great use case. You may want to reach out to him.  Here is the post he made regarding his needs and reasons:

Looking for an 18" pizza slice/topping outline
on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:34 AM

Cheers,
Don

Thank you Don.
Greg Getzinger