Author Topic: Calling all Mobile WFO owners  (Read 1466 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: Calling all Mobile WFO owners
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
As usual late in the game posting a reply.

To everyone who posted with picture of their oven and the kind comments, thank you very much  :-[
And yes, from the first one built to the later ones, there has been a lot of improvement, progress, learning, ...
Again thank you for the support I have received from many of the members on this forum.

My advice, being from the food industry having spoken with many current and new business owner.

Don't believe the people who tell you that you can buy a $40k trailer oven + truck + dough mixer + refrigeration +++ and pay for it in 2 month, especially if it is going to be a part time thing. As Nico said, start clean. Buy what you can afford to begin with and slowly grow your business as you generate cash flow.
There are many option to make affordable at first. You can use a kitchen by the hour for $15/ hour to get all your prep done. Much cheaper than buying all the equipment up-front. Simple coolers work great at first, rather than buying a prep table that will require a source of power, loading, unloading, ...

Get the mobile oven from someone who cares and stands behind their product. Putting a piece of concrete on the road is a bad idea overall and things happen.
I have met some people who bought a not so great product and helped them repairing their mobile oven as the manufacturer was given them the run around.

Very doable as a part time business. Since most the business will be weekend and evenings, you can make the best of it.

Insurance is crucial, for your business as you sell food and for your equipment. Smaller insurance companies or one with a local office is going to be your best bet. I can help you get in touch with business owners near you to see who they use.

If you want to send me a PM, I would be happy to discuss further with you. It is often good to bounce ideas off someone before getting started.

Antoine

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
Public events will require ingredients at 41 degrees or less Refridgerated prep table for that and dough well at least 70 or so
Otherwise insulated bags Ice blankets work well and...... a year or 2 of learning how your dough handles, how quick it warms up , when is it over proofed? how much yeast to use? how long has if fermented?  How long before I leave do I take it out of fridge? whats the outside temp ? Humidity? Peak service time? temp of oven? and about 72 other influences
This IS by far the hardest part of the Mobile Business!! The dough Dance   ;) best of luck
remember its alive !  :-D
John

John, you interested in an intern for a few days next year?  I'm contemplating getting into the mobile WFO business as I don't work summers.  I live in NJ and would love to come work a few days for free just to figure out if it's something that I would enjoy doing regularly.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
Always willing to help anyone interested. Great idea to see what it's all about.not just time at the even that's the fun part
Making dough , prep, cleaning the linens , tools, dough boxes, equipment , shopping ... Not all glory and it's hard work for sure I keep track and put about 12-18 hours for a single party
Where abouts are you in Jersey  ? Welcome anytime to see how it all rolls
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
I always tell people, the party/event is the easy part. A lot of work prior to and a lot of cleaning up afterwards. Having the passion is key which makes the tough parts a little easier to deal with....kinda :-)
Chaz

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 07:42:16 PM »
Always willing to help anyone interested. Great idea to see what it's all about.not just time at the even that's the fun part
Making dough , prep, cleaning the linens , tools, dough boxes, equipment , shopping ... Not all glory and it's hard work for sure I keep track and put about 12-18 hours for a single party
Where abouts are you in Jersey  ? Welcome anytime to see how it all rolls
John

I'm in the Princeton Area but, I'd be willing to go anywhere North of there in NJ.  It would probably have to wait until next summer as I have a newborn and teach during the school year.  I'd love to do it though.  I'll be sure to reach out when the time comes.  Absolutely though.  I'm basically interested in every aspect of the pizza business.  I want to ultimately start out as a mobile summer operation and transition into a store once I move on from my teaching career.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 10:45:54 PM »
Sounds like a plan reach out in the spring ! But keep a full press on the mobile research and keep practicing
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan