Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 93611 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #580 on: December 09, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
 john, that set up is amazing. the party was in a tent the oven partially in the tent? what is the oven height in the interior? how did it work for you? talk conklin!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #581 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
John,

Those pictures are amazing!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #582 on: December 09, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
John the pizza and the set-up look fantastic. We got to get together so you share some of you knowledge with me  ;D

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #583 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
Thezaman, the oven dome interior height is 9.5". The rest John will have to answer  :-D

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #584 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
HOLY CANNOLI !!  :oand did you see that  3 FOOT Cannoli stuffed with Cannolis!  :-D
great stuff
The dome height is posted at 9 -3/4" And again I cant say enough how much I like  the way these ovens cook could be the concrete bed (mass)  beneath the baking stones which are differnet product than the forno  and the Earthstone the bottom does not burn and the all else is done  perfect. You need to  be careful with the lower dome  you do not get too much flame accross the top but a nice cookingnoven for sure this was 61% hydration dough. Made friday am 11:am  room temp bulkfor 10 hrs ball and fridge for 10 hrs  tehn 65 f until  cooked sat 7pm
The tent covered everything and was quite toasty. The oven sat outside the tent but you can see the additional tarp where rick zip tied it to tent frame  cut out a nice size round for the chimney. I did start raing prettty good later on and not adrop of water anywhere !
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:19:51 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Rick M

• Supporting Member
« Reply #585 on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
Imagine that John, there's Bill (in the red sweater), the self proclaimed Pizza Tester.  Awesome job at our annual Christmas party.  Talk to ya soon.

Rick M.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:44:01 PM by Rick M »
It was love at first Slice!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #586 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
And test he did ! I think I counted well north of 20 slices ! not including the desert pies ! Proof it ain't that all that bad. Hope I am invited back again sometime ! By the way - I brought 44 dough balls from the fork mixer and Rick supplied another 36? from he Mecnosud  8L spiral mixer he got from me a while back. That dough was phenomenal once warmed up >= to mine Rick! you are well on you way. Oh yeah you had a good teacher  ;) Now if we can only get him to post a few pictures of his build and his machine in action! here's his Beautiful Baby ! There are only 2 of these left !
john
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:14:02 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
So what do you do in the winter ? Keep going !!
Dec 30th was a great hit 2 calls already from that cold winters night. Another small one last night. I loucked out and quote warm for this garage Party. After studing the weather before making dough I decided to make and extra 20 for sunday as well for my platform tennis club.
cloudly and 50 worked out great. Heres Saturday Garage Party
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:59:03 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #588 on: January 13, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
Keot the dough in the house and then used my bags that I use in summer to keep cold to keep warm quick blastwith heater zipper up and worked perfect !! Heres a few from sat
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:11:50 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
Onto my tennis club today with the leftovers just backed in fired up while I played my matchand cooked a few You can see the results of the extra day fermentation (kinda Paulie Geeish?) and the ole Heat the bag trick  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:10:30 PM by JConk007 »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Lookin' great John! Glad you could do some gigs in winter, or were you looking forward to the downtime?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #591 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
Wasnt planning on doing any but been fun and keep the little bit of skill I have in tune.  I Dont mind it,  as long as its not freezing. Its easy to refridgerate in summer and control the dough,  but when it form or frozen the Neapolitan dough can be a bit rough. I  also turned down one for this Wednsday. I Have do some salesforce training  full day Ughh  :'(
Think thatll do it for this year off the Park City Sundance Film Festival week and some great skiing !  They are buriedinsnow out there ye ha!
John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:42:29 PM by JConk007 »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #592 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
Tis the season for all day training!

The progress of your pizza from page 1 til now is really cool! Excellent job.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #593 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
I've got mine backed up to my garage and I love it.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »
 john, did your mini pizza crawl influence your pizza at all this weekend??

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
@Jeff- Thanks for the compliments. Last year I stopped Sept. ? Still  going now!  Also  I am getting calls already for 2013 season almost daily  ;D  Really? If it turns  just the same as this season I will be thrilled ! all I can handle for now.  :pizza:

@larry-Non of the places we visited were working with a small mobile oven or outside in the weather, so really it Just made it taste a little better  :P   Not quite Via Tribunali but seriously I'll take this over Co. anyday of the week!  Nothing against them, and pizza wasnt all that bad,  but I prefer the neapolitan style nowadays.
John
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:32:59 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Epsasser

« Reply #596 on: February 06, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »
Hi John , I the major newbie and I just finished reading thru every page of this thread.....what a story.  BRAVO ! 
My own adventure has begun here on the other side of the world from you ...think warm everyday.  I am a manufacturer of home furnishings by profession, farmer/ foodie by love ...see www.rockhousefarm.info but spend alot of time on a island in the southern Philippines.  I travel alot for my work in Europe and many years ago was given a pizza oven by a client from Italy. I don't know the source as it was loaded in a container with other items and was not declared. Anyway I never set up as I was holding off a remodel on a home and then I started another project. Recently I decided to copy it for another residence . I have done so , ordered the refractory cement the grog and so forth as I also have a commercial foundry within the companies . So for a lark I've made some. Then I decided to learn about pizza etc... and have a sibling that has 8 or so restaurants that many have wfo in the establishments. They do some pricey kinda gourmet type pizza stuff as is the trend.  So reading thru the site ...i stumbled on The mobile pizza concept and your thread. i really liked it alot....its shall we say inspired me. i am a maker by nature so i am crazy enough to make about anything.....think skunk works and i have been blessed to be able to do so not for money but the love of the process and adventure.

so now i am telling my wife your story and some ideas i have regarding it..like getting the farm group in USA a set up built and using our pork sausage etc and all the things we grow...farm to fork mobile kitchen kinda thing..lol
So their climate is like yours in USA and now I am kinda psyched to do some events over here for fun and wanted to run by you what I think may be a issue.... We are generally 60-90% humidity in day time and 60 % at nite. It's a third world kinda place so cool air is in short supply....lol but I can get some area in a 60f range for the dough lead time ..I was just worried about the on site part... As we won't have that beautiful refrigerated prep table laying around... That's the bomb...now I do have plenty of marble so I thought I would make a well insulated portable table cabinet set up , marble top and put block ice in a large tray and  keep it all cool including condiments 1800s style.... I know all this sounds wild but I am going for it.... Your story pumped it for me.... Think home made goat cheese from the islands with sashimi tuna slices and homemade home grown tomato sauces... Or papaya sliced , and mango chutney with wild honey desert pizzas..... Crazy...eh...I am certified as my dad said 26 years ago when I moved here at 24 for no money but that's another novel.

Any advice is appreciated...and if you do get to NC ...there is pork in your future.

Great site here and great folks...John may the pizza be with you..... My wife did not like my Asiaslice name , thought it sounded like a girlie bar but I'm sticking with it ! Cheers to the club from " it's more fun in the Philippines " newbie.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #597 on: February 28, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »
Gearing up for the season . Kick it up a notch  ;)
Ice Creanm IceCream we all Scream for Ice Cream   :P
I found  this very (cool no pun intended), dipping cabinet by Silverking and could not hold Back Great quality perfect size and brandy new !
Hold 2- 3 gallon buckets perfect.  I have been eyeing the goods at Rest Depot $13.50 -$17.50 bucks( french vinella)  for 3 gallons of Ice cream , Italian Ice or Sorbet.
do the Math ??
Plan is to do a dessert option of the Nutella pies and choice of above for Like $3-5 per person  Last year I just did the Nutella for $0 but the price of that has climbed as well. Sound Fair ?? Gelato for those High end Parties  
If it doesnt work I will just eat it all  myself ! MMMNN Burp.  
Whats your Favorite Flavor ??
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:23:12 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #598 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

Whats your Favorite Flavor ??
Good 'ole Butter Pecan works for me...
Saweet cold box unit you picked up there John, that's going to come in real handy.

edit; you jus love sell'in stuff don't you...  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:43:45 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #599 on: February 28, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »
Pistachio Gelato... but I never eat it  :angel: