Author Topic: A 3 Minute Range Pie With Broiler Finish  (Read 1384 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
A 3 Minute Range Pie With Broiler Finish
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
Hi folks..Hope you dont mind me making a new topic away from my 5 minute pie/Broiler thread.I just did not feel like it belonged there after I broke into the 4 minute range the other day,and was aiming even lower.I did not expect to be able to make a pie this fast.

I manage to get a 3 minute and 20 second pie out of my old electric oven,using the broiler to aid me in the quest of lower baked times.Stone temps were 620 degrees on the bottom rack,and would not rise anymore,even after an hour or heat up time.

I used a digital kitchen timer,that counts down from 4 minutes that I set it to when I launched the pie onto the stone.I let the pie cook on the stone for 2:10 seconds,and the rest cooked 1:10 seconds under the broiler.

When the timer hit 3:20,I removed the pie from under the broiler.It was a bit done again,so I believe I can have a pie done in the high 2's or a bit lower 3 minute range.I wished I had took the pie out at 3 minutes flat,but I just went by gut feel it would be done under the broiler by the 3:20 second mark.

Earlier,while cooking,There was a few seconds of time,I removed the pie from the oven,placed on a screen and put it back under the broiler to finish.I let the clock run during that time.So it was out of the oven a good 10 seconds at the most.

Here are some more pics.They look a lot like my other pies,since I'm doing the same recipes of dough,sauce,cheese,etc.

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: A 3 Minute Range Pie With Broiler Finish
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »
Beautiful crumb Bill.  Good job.  How did it eat compared to your NY pies?

scott123

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
Bill, superb.

Out of the 4 minute pie and the 3ish minute, which did you prefer?  I'm guessing your 7+ minute days are probably over, correct?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »
Bill,

I am enjoying watching your experiments.  Very nice crumb and pie!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline spbrez

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
Pizza looks great!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
Hey folks,I will write more back later.Had kinda a crappy day so far.Just one of them days I guess.Had a few things I wanted to add about the pie making as well.Thanks for the nice words.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
Hiya folks,

Thanks again for the nice words and support.Hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

I wanted to post a few things.I really like the faster cooked pies.They have been somewhat softer and less crispy as compared to some other pies I made.A little bit on the chewy side but Im using 100% bouncer and thats sort of expected.

Still was easy to fold with a slight crack in the crust when folding,plus,hardly any flop.Compared to my other NY pies,its coming down to more of like what I might be in the mood for.Since the pies can taste different with different types of cheese,sauces,cook times,and etc,this gives me another way to make NY style pizza.I wont get bored now making the same thing where it always tastes the same.(even though Im known to making cheese only for my experiments)

I am not done with 6-8 minute cooked pies yet.Once I get the hang of this new method,I might go back and forth between the two less and less.

I still have more to learn with this 3 minute cycle as well.

I know my limits are the amount of heat I can get out of my oven as well.Thats holding me all back from my goal of NP style pies,but in the meantime,Its sort of re activated my motivation to try new ideas with the oven and pizzas.

:)
-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
@chickenparm, beautiful looking pies. Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered placing your stone directly under the broiler for the entire bake. Preheat stone for 1 hour at the position you like it placed for the broil cycle. Place pie on preheated stone and cook under the broiler immediately? Might be worth a try on your next pie!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »
@chickenparm, beautiful looking pies. Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered placing your stone directly under the broiler for the entire bake. Preheat stone for 1 hour at the position you like it placed for the broil cycle. Place pie on preheated stone and cook under the broiler immediately? Might be worth a try on your next pie!

Thanks dm,...and thanks for the nice words!...yep,I have consider that method as well.I believe I may be able to get the cook times down into the mid 2 minute range or less this way.I will make that attempt one of these days.One of the adjustments I want to make,before I subject the pizza to that,is make a few new dough balls that do not have any sugar or oil along with my current recipes I use.

My current dough browns too fast under the broiler,and I would like to make a dough that has no oil/sugar added,and try that hot stone under the broiler,method pie like you stated.I want to see which ones are going to give me the results I want.Its also not always about how the pie looks to me,Im also looking for flavor as well as the final cook finish of the dough.I do not know if in the end,Im going to prefer some sugar and oil or not.

This will take me a few experiments to see what I can do with it.Heck I may end up undercooking or burning a pie or two in the process,but thats all good.With sugar and oil in my current doughs,I believe It may cause excess browning or burning before the crust is truly cooked or done.

Then,it comes down to the cheese I use.If I was to use a part skim milk cheese shred on top of the pie,instead of fresh mozz,or whole milk,it may break down faster/or burn before the crust is done.Thats something else I want to try and see what happens.
 :)

-Bill