Author Topic: Is anybody chili?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Is anybody chili?
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
I have been cooking chili competitivly for about 5 years, not that often, maybe only once or twice a year.  I use the exact same recipe that I started with and I have recieved every place from DAL (dead ass last) to first.  A couple years ago I cooked the chili for my Canadian buddy and his family when they came to visit here in the US.  They took the recipe home and have won school and church type events in their Province.  Back in January, my buddy calls me and tells me about a bbq and chili competition North of Toronto.  So this is what happened last weekend:

Twenty teams competed. There were two divisions 1) Texas chili (meat and spices only, no beans, no fillers) and 2) Chili con Carne (anything goes).  For the Texas chili, first through third place got an invitation to Terlingua, Tx (the Super Bowl of chili cookoffs).  We nissed it by one place getting fourth.  We got second in the chili con carne.  I was super proud to bring back a nice trophy for the second place chili con carne, even though dragging it through the airport/customs/security made me look like an idiot, I am a happy idiot with a trophy to prove it.

Newspaper articles:  http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3207860
                            http://www.simcoe.com/community/bluemountains/article/1043070  pictures number 17 and 18

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline selprop

Re: Is anybody chili?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Great achievement   Congrats

scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »
Gene, regardless of the rankings, I'm sure the great white northern unwashed masses benefited from your chili ambassadorship  ;D

Is it common among chili competitors to stick to one recipe?

The chili gods have not been shining down on me as of late.  They were kind for a couple decades, but, within the last few years I've lost some mojo.

parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
Congratulations J_D!  Very cool and looks like fun...

Paul

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
Scott, sorry to hear that you have misplaced some of your chili mojo, I'm sure it will be back soon.  If not, see the liquid mojo enhancer below.  About sticking to one recipe, I really never ask anyone about their recipe.  I assume that 'if its broke don't fix it may apply' as to how far one would detour from their favorite recipe.  I hitched a ride back to Toronto with our next door competetors.  We get back to his shop and drop the gear, and he pulls this bottle out.  Snake Wine from Vietnam :'( >:D ??? :-X :-X

Yes it is a Cobra with a scorpion in its mouth inside the bottle.

Thanks Paul, I had a blast.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
The snake is dead. What good is that?  I want to consume the cobra's still beating heart like Tony Bourdain- now THAT's mojo ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
Congrats, and how ironic. I just posted a thread about chili on the Serious Eats website.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »
Gene, Congrats and job well done. Strange, just two days ago I made a big pot of chili con carne for some Mexican and had a heck of a time explaining to them what it is. The only way I could was by calling it pozole or posole without the corn. I use only habanero chilies in mine. >:D
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
Congratulations Gene! That's awesome!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
The snake is dead. What good is that?  I want to consume the cobra's still beating heart like Tony Bourdain- now THAT's mojo ;D

The venom sacks in a shot of Cognac is mojo!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
This past Saturday I competed at the local Harley Davidson annual chili cookoff.  Thirteen teams competed.  When the dust settled I received second place, $350 bucks, and 4 t-shirts. :-D
 Maybe I should do a chili and jalapeno NY style pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
This past Saturday I competed at the local Harley Davidson annual chili cookoff.  Thirteen teams competed.  When the dust settled I received second place, $350 bucks, and 4 t-shirts. :-D
 Maybe I should do a chili and jalapeno NY style pizza.

Congrats Gene!

I don't think I could support chili on pizza any more than I do on spaghetti. I think they can still throw you out of Texas if you do either.

CL

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
I think they can still throw you out of Texas if you do either.

Craig,

Gene may have to go to Cincinatti, where they also put shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions on the chili on top of the spaghetti: http://skylinechili.com/ :-D.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »
Craig,

Gene may have to go to Cincinatti, where they also put shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions on the chili on top of the spaghetti: http://skylinechili.com/ :-D.

Peter

:-X
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
Gene,
Great stuff congrats on all your hard work. If they give you a Harley gift Certificate we could negotiate!!
Oh I did do a chili deep dish pizza  :-[  a few years back remember,  but it was Turkey Chili so not sure it even counts ?
 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7697.0.html
John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:25:01 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan