Author Topic: pies stick to the peel when starting out  (Read 1118 times)

Offline flaminpizza

pies stick to the peel when starting out
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
pies stick to the peel when starting out
on: Today at 06:56:49 PM Quote Modify 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just joined and just started making pizzas for our mobile wood fired brick oven pizza trailer.  We are in Savannah, GA  I made a 30 ft. long trailer with a 6 ft. porch on which the brick oven is.  www.flaminpizza.com  Question... I use a metal peel and the pies dont want to slide off easy when I first put them into the oven.  Do I need more flour?  Coat the peel with something? or what?  Help please.  5 out of 7 pies came out good last Sunday for ourfirst family pizza feast.  The other 2 were not pretty.  But they tasted great.  Had a lot of fun... 

Offline Lespaul20

Re: pies stick to the peel when starting out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
Far from a professional opinion here but you just need more bench flour and/or work faster applying toppings. A light dusting on the peal would likely help as well. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »
Congrats on your new business. You probably already know this, but you can reduce your hydration to compensate for weather conditions. That will help somewhat. Another technique is to "dip" the dough balls into a mound of flour - both sides. I really coat them before shaping. It has a drying effect on the skins and gives you a larger window of dressing time, especially in a humid environment such as yours. Although metal will never be as forgiving as wood, many, many Neapolitan places use them with great success.

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
I dont mean to be rude,but your website says this:

Our staff has over 7 years of pizza and food handling experience.  Check out our menu and picture gallery for complete details and find out how we can make your next gathering a fun and affordable event.

I would think you would have mastered the peel/transfer problem years ago.You sure you aren't just trying to promote the Business here?

;D

If you are serious,welcome and best wishes with your business success.
 8)

-Bill

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:04 AM »
What good would it do to "promote" a mobile ma & pa concern on this website?

John has it right.  Humidity is your enemy when making pizza outdoors.  Usually, I can plan for the weather but sometimes they get away from you.  Last Sunday, a really rainy then humid day, I made 2 "calzones" because of a release problem.  I didn't formulate for the weather.  I made 100% Caputo @ 63%.  I should have mixed in some stouter flour and tightened up the mix.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
You say in another post that you use ready made dough 'barks', so I guess adjusting the recipe is out. Cornmeal is a favorite as helper.  I've also found that blowing a burst of air under the skin can release it.... like using a little compressed air can.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
and lets see a few more pics of that rig!   :-D

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
Actually, the metal peels are meant for removing the pizzas from the oven, while the wood peels are meant for use as "prep" peels. The wood doesn't result in condensation formation between the peel and the dough during the prepping of the dough skin, while a metal peel will. Think of it like this, cool/cold dough and warm peel. While there are any number of favorite recipes for peel dust, my own personal favorite is as follows: Equal parts of white flour, semolina flour and fine corn meal.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
Tman - In another post I said I would consider using commercial dough if they could formulate it for a WFO.
"Barks"?

Doc - Yeah I have the wooden peels and they perform OK...  However, the first few always seem to stick.  Kinda like the first pancake is always goofed up somehow.  The next load seems to work out without problems.  I like the metal guys (Batali) because they are pliable and allow me to shoot under the pizzas. 
I appreciate your help.  You rock.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
"Barks' is the original posters word...I haven't seen anywhere else.

pizzapan