Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 64302 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
Mike,

It looks like you are making good progress. Maybe someday you can go to San Diego and try the real thing.

I'm glad the pizza sauce turned out well. It is always somewhat of a crapshoot when you are eyeballing volume measurements, especially in a video where images can get distorted. Did you and/or your tasters like the 7/11 sauce better than the 6-in-1 sauce and, if so, why?

This has been quite an interesting thread that has taught us a lot of things--about Pendleton flours (and particularly the Power flour), flour bag sizes, Hobart mixers, Stanislaus tomatoes, video shoots and post-production techniques, and how to slice and dice a video to extract useful information. I don't think that I will ever view a DDD segment the same way again. It looks like a lot of people are following what we have all done. No doubt some of them think we belong in a home somewhere :-D.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Did it make a nice crunchy sound when cut?

It did! But there's still some work to do before I get where I want the crust to be.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #422 on: September 19, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »
Mike,

It looks like you are making good progress. Maybe someday you can go to San Diego and try the real thing.

I'm glad the pizza sauce turned out well. It is always somewhat of a crapshoot when you are eyeballing volume measurements, especially in a video where images can get distorted. Did you and/or your tasters like the 7/11 sauce better than the 6-in-1 sauce and, if so, why?

This has been quite an interesting thread that has taught us a lot of things--about Pendleton flours (and particularly the Power flour), flour bag sizes, Hobart mixers, Stanislaus tomatoes, video shoots and post-production techniques, and how to slice and dice a video to extract useful information. I don't think that I will ever view a DDD segment the same way again. It looks like a lot of people are following what we have all done. No doubt some of them think we belong in a home somewhere :-D.

Peter

Peter,

'Asylum' would be a better word!  ;D

Regarding the real Luigi's, I think there's no way around except for visiting Luigi's Pizzeria if one wants to compare the clones to the real deal. Unless, of course, Luigi shows up on here and gives his insight but I doubt that this will happen any time soon.

The sauce is very, very good. The main two differences between the 6-in-1s and the 7/11 tomatoes are the consistency and the sweetness. The 6-in1-s have always required some added water or pureeing them down a bit to make the sauce thinner in consistency and some form of sugar whereas the 7/11s haven't required anything else. But the 6-in-1s are still a great product and very close to the 7/11s, though. One thing I and my testers also noticed was a higher acidity level in the 6-in-1s. Last night, all of them liked the the 7/11 sauce better than my previous one made from the Escalon tomatoes.

I think I'll make two small batches from both tomato products with the exact same numbers you posted and than do a side-by-side comparison. Also, I think the crust could use a tad more experimenting in terms of keeping it close to Luigi's 24-hr fermentation and trying to coax out a tad more flavor at the same time.

I'm anxious to see how Norma's test will turn out.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that both pies were baked at 645°F, give or take a couple of degrees, for 7 mins.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #423 on: September 19, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »
28-ounces (793.8 grams) of canned tomatoes
0.32 grams Red pepper flakes (this will be about 2-3 pinches)
0.74 grams Greek oregano (bottled)
1 gram Salt (table salt, Morton’s)
0.32 grams Ground black pepper
2.78 grams Garlic powder
5.3 grams Grated Parmesan cheese
0.64 grams Fresh, chopped basil
Total weight of seasoning mix (without the tomatoes): 11.1 grams

Can you guys convert this into tsp? Maybe round them off to the nearest size?

My scale cannot measure most of this stuff.I dont mind rounding stuff off,it has never been an issue for me with anything in the past.The changes might be so minor,I wont hardly notice much.

Thanks.

:)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #424 on: September 19, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Mike,

Your are really “going to town” on your Luigi’s experiments!  :-D  Seriously, your recent pies look very delicious!  :) Your toppings also look great! I was interested how you would like the Stanislaus 7/11 tomato product.  I also like the 7/11 tomato sauce and other Stanislaus products.  I know all members have different tastes, but I have also tried the 6in1 sauce with different spices and I keep going back to the Stanislaus products because of the fresh tomato taste.

Norma  
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #425 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Mike,
Im loving it! Love the color and crust bottom as well.Its perfect to me.
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: September 19, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
I might have made a little “head-way” with getting some Power flour today.  Alex called me and we talked about if there are any distributors in Pa.  He said there were, but he would have to ask his boss about where they are.  I told Alex I had only wanted to try out the Power flour to see if it would make any difference in the pizzas I make.  Alex said did I know the Power Flour has a hydration rate of 65% and he asked if I could work with that kind of hydration for pizzas.  I said I could.  Alex said after he talks to his boss, he might send me a sample of Power flour for me to try.  I asked Alex what size bags does the Power flour come in and he told me only 50 lb. bags. I wonder why that is.  ??? I will wait until I get a call back from Alex to see if I can obtain any Power Flour to try out.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
2.78 grams Garlic powder

My scale cannot measure most of this stuff.I dont mind rounding stuff off,it has never been an issue for me with anything in the past.The changes might be so minor,I wont hardly notice much.

Thanks.

Bill,

I don't really know how to convert those numbers into tsp or Tbsp. I tried that once and gave up on it  :angel:

That's why I bought this little gadget for amounts that my regular go-to digital scale can't handle.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Signature-AWS-100-Digital/dp/B0012LOQUQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #428 on: September 19, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
I might have made a little “head-way” with getting some Power flour today.  Alex called me and we talked about if there are any distributors in Pa.  He said there were, but he would have to ask his boss about where they are.  I told Alex I had only wanted to try out the Power flour to see if it would make any difference in the pizzas I make.  Alex said did I know the Power Flour has a hydration rate of 65% and he asked if I could work with that kind of hydration for pizzas.  I said I could.  Alex said after he talks to his boss, he might send me a sample of Power flour for me to try.  I asked Alex what size bags does the Power flour come in and he told me only 50 lb. bags. I wonder why that is.  ??? I will wait until I get a call back from Alex to see if I can obtain any Power Flour to try out.

Norma

Norma,

Once you get your hands on the PF you will not be disappointed, I promise. It is truly an amazing flour and a real joy to work with. The only little set-back I initially encountered was the 65% hydration dough but I might have not mixed it properly or to its fullest potential because I was too eager to get things started.

Which brings up the question how a grown man can be almost so excited over a bag of flour as he was when he received his first Carrera slot car race track as a young kid for Christmas... ???

Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Norma,

Once you get your hands on the PF you will not be disappointed, I promise. It is truly an amazing flour and a real joy to work with. The only little set-back I initially encountered was the 65% hydration dough but I might have not mixed it properly or to its fullest potential because I was too eager to get things started.

Which brings up the question how a grown man can be almost so excited over a bag of flour as he was when he received his first Carrera slot car race track as a young kid for Christmas... ???

Mike,

Lol, you really made me chuckle over getting so excited over a bag of flour and comparing the flour to slot car race tracks!  :-D

I hope I can obtain some of the Power flour to try, but I will wait and see what happens.  I really would like to try the Power flour.  I have so many bags of flour and dough enhancers at home, I soon won't know what to do with all of them.   :-D

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »
Mike,

Lol, you really made me chuckle over getting so excited over a bag of flour and comparing the flour to slot car race tracks!  :-D

I hope I can obtain some of the Power flour to try, but I will wait and see what happens.  I really would like to try the Power flour.  I have so many bags of flour and dough enhancers at home, I soon won't know what to do with all of them.   :-D

Norma

Norma,

I think that's just the nature of the game here.  ;D

What you could do with all those flours is to perhaps make one different style of pizza every Tuesday at Market. Let's say on the first Tuesday of the month you could offer NY-style pies, the next one a rustic style, then maybe a Sicilian style and so forth.

Just an idea... ;)
Mike

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
Mike,

Since you can measure .32 grams with your scale,what tsp will that amount fit,say,using salt or garlic powder? less than a 1/4? Can you eyeball it and give me a close guess next time you use it?

Btw,I did try to make my own version of the sauce.I used very small amounts of the ingredients just to get an idea.I cannot stand the parmesan cheese in it.I wont be using it.Sauce kept tasting/smelling like sour milk or puke at times.I admit I may have put a bit too much in by accident.I like parmesan cheese alot,I do sprinkle it around my pasta and etc at times,but not in the sauce mixed up.

Maybe one wont taste it much when its cooked on the pizza,but I think I would rather use the Pecorino romano instead next time.I've used it before with success.

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Mike,

Since you can measure .32 grams with your scale,what tsp will that amount fit,say,using salt or garlic powder? less than a 1/4? Can you eyeball it and give me a close guess next time you use it?

Btw,I did try to make my own version of the sauce.I used very small amounts of the ingredients just to get an idea.I cannot stand the parmesan cheese in it.I wont be using it.Sauce kept tasting/smelling like sour milk or puke at times.I admit I may have put a bit too much in by accident.I like parmesan cheese alot,I do sprinkle it around my pasta and etc at times,but not in the sauce mixed up.

Maybe one wont taste it much when its cooked on the pizza,but I think I would rather use the Pecorino romano instead next time.I've used it before with success.

Bill,

I used Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan. I like the flavor better.

Just measured .32gr of garlic powder and it was about half of 1/8 tsp, eyeballed. The coarse sea salt I measured was about 1/8 tsp.
Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: September 19, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Norma,

I think that's just the nature of the game here.  ;D

What you could do with all those flours is to perhaps make one different style of pizza every Tuesday at Market. Let's say on the first Tuesday of the month you could offer NY-style pies, the next one a rustic style, then maybe a Sicilian style and so forth.

Just an idea... ;)

Mike,

Your idea is really a good one, but most customers in my area just like NY style pies, and never even tasted other styles of pizza.  I don't know if I will ever be able to change their minds or not.  I sure didn't know about all the styles of pizzas before I found this forum.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #434 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
2.78 grams Garlic powder

Bill,

Sometime tomorrow I will try to convert the above ingredients into volume measurements. I will not do it for the Parmesan cheese since I do not have the dry, powdery version (which you don't like anyway in your sauces) and I will not be able to convert the fresh, chopped basil to a volume measurement since I do not have any basil on hand. You should also keep in mind that not all brands of ingredients have the same weight-to-volume conversion data, and even that data can change as ingredients age and dry out. But I will give you what I have.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #435 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
Mike,

Your idea is really a good one, but most customers in my area just like NY style pies, and never even tasted other styles of pizza.  I don't know if I will ever be able to change their minds or not.  I sure didn't know about all the styles of pizzas before I found this forum.

Norma

Norma,

I know how hard it can be to convince people to try new things or break with ingrained habits but to ease them into other styles of pizza you could always have a couple of pies as samples out on the counter, free of course, and offer them to try.

But please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. You know your clientele best  ;D
Mike

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #436 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
Mike,
Thanks so much for doing that grams to tsp amounts for me.I really appreciate it and it gives me an better idea what to do with certain spices.
 8)

Peter,

Thanks for offering to do the conversions for the ones you can,in your spare time.I do understand about the weight to volume ratio as well.Not a problem.Also,Rounding things off to the nearest spoon size is something I do often.It has never made anything difficult to do either.The recipe for me is a starting point,then its anything goes from there.
 ;D

-Bill

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for offering to do the conversions for the ones you can,in your spare time.I do understand about the weight to volume ratio as well.Not a problem.Also,Rounding things off to the nearest spoon size is something I do often.It has never made anything difficult to do either.The recipe for me is a starting point,then its anything goes from there.
 ;D

Bill,

I used my My Weigh 300-Z scale to weigh the amounts of crushed red peppers, Greek oregano, salt, black ground pepper, and garlic powder and then measured them out using measuring spoons to get the values noted below in highlight. My mini-scale is accurate to only one-tenth of a gram, but I believe the numbers are quite close. All volume measurements are level measuring spoon measurements.

0.32 grams Crushed red pepper flakes (this will be about 2-3 pinches) (1/4 teaspoon)
0.74 grams Greek oregano (bottled) (a bit less than 3/4 teaspoon)
1 gram Salt (table salt, Morton’s) (1/8 teaspoon plus half again, or 3/16 teaspoon if using a "pinch" mini-measuring spoon)
0.32 grams Ground black pepper (a bit less than 1/4 teaspoon)
2.78 grams Garlic powder, McCormick's (5/8 teaspoon)

As noted previously, I did not measure out the Parmesan cheese (which you do not like in the sauce anyway) or the fresh basil (0.64 grams), which I do not have on hand.

If you, or any other member for that matter, proceed with the above seasoning mix, let us know how you like it. Please also note the tomatoes used.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
Peter,

Thank YOU!That really helps!
 8)

I can use it and will also adjust/tailor to suit my needs as well.

It might be a week or so before I try mixing this up.I ran out of Cento and will pick some more up later in the week.If I can't get to the store that sells the Cento,I will probably use the 28 ounce WalMart GV crushed tomatoes instead.

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #439 on: September 20, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
Peter,

Thank YOU!That really helps!
 8)

I can use it and will also adjust/tailor to suit my needs as well.

It might be a week or so before I try mixing this up.I ran out of Cento and will pick some more up later in the week.If I can't get to the store that sells the Cento,I will probably use the 28 ounce WalMart GV crushed tomatoes instead.

Bill,

I'd use the 6-in-1s since that is probably the closest to the 7/11 tomatoes. But Centos are good, too. Please let us know what you think of the sauce.
Mike