Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 68420 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
Mike, very true.  It was a group effort between you and Peter.  I think both you and Peter came up with a real winner and if you and Peter did not work together on this it would not have come to fruition!

You shouldn't forget scott123, Norma and Jet_deck (Gene) either. They were major participants in the effort also. In fact, some of the best clues and leads and insights came from them that allowed me to come up with the actual Luigi clone dough formulations for the members to play around with. Unfortunately, too few members follow the thread closely enough to see who contributed what.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
You shouldn't forget scott123, Norma and Jet_deck (Gene) either. They were major participants in the effort also. In fact, some of the best clues and leads and insights came from them that allowed me to come up with the actual Luigi clone dough formulations for the members to play around with. Unfortunately, too few members follow the thread closely enough to see who contributed what.

Peter

Peter,

You beat me to it.  ;D

I didn't mean to leave those guys out but I'm glad you mentioned Scotty, JD and Norma. They contributed in a big way.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #522 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

Peter

Very true.  Sorry scott123, Norma and Jet_deck.  I have been following the thread but there are so many post it slipped my mind who exactly contributed to what portion of the clone.  But I do recall Norma and Jet_deck for taking part in it.  And if I make it to PA sometime I'm taking Norma up on being able to be a taste tester!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #523 on: October 05, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
I had tried to contact Alex at Pendleton flour different times in the last few weeks, about if there is anywhere that distributed Power flour in my area.  Each time I called, Alexís voice mail was either full, or it said he wasnít accepting calls. I called Alex a little while ago again, and Alex answered the phone.  Alex remembered me and asked me if one of the sales reps didnít contact me, and I said no.  Alex said maybe there werenít any distributors in my area, but apologized for no one getting back to me.  I asked Alex if he knows what big companies might distribute for Pendleton flours.  He asked me if there were any Syscoís in my area and I said yes, there is a Sycoís in Harrisburg, Pa. Alex said instead of me waiting for a sales rep to call me back maybe I want to go to Sycoís and purchase some of the Power flour to try.  I said I am familiar with Sycoís and know they have a 500.00 limit on what must be purchased and I only wanted to try the Power flour to see if the Power flour makes my pizzas any better. I said my regular distributor isnít Sycoís.  Alex then said he was going to get some of the Power flour and send me 20 lbs. to try.  I donít know if I will get the 20 lbs. of Power flour to try, but I will wait and see if that happens. Alex did take my name and address.  If I do get the Power flour to try in Peterís formulas he set-forth, then after a few experiments  to see how the Power flour acts in the formulas for LuigiĎs attempts, I might try to add VWG to KABF to see if I can get anywhere near the same results that I got with my blends of flours before, or with the real Power flour. That way maybe other members that donít have access to the Power flour or KASL, can come up with a decent Luigiís clone if they want to.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
I had tried to contact Alex at Pendleton flour different times in the last few weeks, about if there is anywhere that distributed Power flour in my area.  Each time I called, Alexís voice mail was either full, or it said he wasnít accepting calls. I called Alex a little while ago again, and Alex answered the phone.  Alex remembered me and asked me if one of the sales reps didnít contact me, and I said no.  Alex said maybe there werenít any distributors in my area, but apologized for no one getting back to me.  I asked Alex if he knows what big companies might distribute for Pendleton flours.  He asked me if there were any Syscoís in my area and I said yes, there is a Sycoís in Harrisburg, Pa. Alex said instead of me waiting for a sales rep to call me back maybe I want to go to Sycoís and purchase some of the Power flour to try.  I said I am familiar with Sycoís and know they have a 500.00 limit on what must be purchased and I only wanted to try the Power flour to see if the Power flour makes my pizzas any better. I said my regular distributor isnít Sycoís.  Alex then said he was going to get some of the Power flour and send me 20 lbs. to try.  I donít know if I will get the 20 lbs. of Power flour to try, but I will wait and see if that happens. Alex did take my name and address.  If I do get the Power flour to try in Peterís formulas he set-forth, then after a few experiments  to see how the Power flour acts in the formulas for LuigiĎs attempts, I might try to add VWG to KABF to see if I can get anywhere near the same results that I got with my blends of flours before, or with the real Power flour. That way maybe other members that donít have access to the Power flour or KASL, can come up with a decent Luigiís clone if they want to.

Norma

Norma,

That guy sounds like a fluke but who knows. Maybe he's just very busy.

Milner Milling, who's associated with Pendleton, has four mills alone in GA, TN and AL so it must be possible to get some of the flour on the East Coast. I don't think Sysco carries it but could be wrong.

http://www.pfmills.com/mill-locations-pages-19.php
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »
Norma,

That guy sounds like a fluke but who knows. Maybe he's just very busy.

Milner Milling, who's associated with Pendleton, has four mills alone in GA, TN and AL so it must be possible to get some of the flour on the East Coast. I don't think Sysco carries it but could be wrong.

http://www.pfmills.com/mill-locations-pages-19.php

Mike,

I donít know if Alex is very busy or what happened, but I will wait and see if I get any sample of the Power flour.  I really donít want to get a bag a whole bag of Power flour and have it shipped, it would be too expensive.  I can call Sycoís in Harrisburg and see if they carry the Power flour in the next few days.  When I first started making pizza, I had bought some frozen skins at Sycoís in Harrisburg, and didnít need a 500.00 minimum order, but you do need a 500.00 order for then to deliver.

Thanks for the link to where they carry Pendleton flours. 

Norma

Offline derschuh

« Reply #526 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
PE101,

I don't know if I can take any credit for it but thanks for the kind words. If it weren't for Peter and his excellent eye regarding figuring out the amounts shown in the video and his conversions we'd probably still guessing about the sauce.

Also, I went with the numbers Peter gave me and merely added some fennel powder and a bit of sugar, used Pecorino instead of a Kraft-type Parmesan and out came that sauce. 

I'll check back with Armando today to see how things are turning out.

Hello,
First attempt at posting.
How much Pecorino did you use?
Keep up the great work!

shoe

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #527 on: October 06, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »

Hello,
First attempt at posting.
How much Pecorino did you use?
Keep up the great work!

shoe

DerSchuh,

You can find the numbers by clicking on the link below.

Keep in mind that this is for a #10 can of tomatoes and not a 28oz can. Just scale the formula down a bit and sub the Parmesan for Pecorino and you're set.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg154647.html#msg154647
Mike

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #528 on: October 08, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
PE101,

Thanks for the tip on Anthony's Fish Grotto. I have heard of the place before but never went when I was in San Diego previously. Worth checking out.

Regarding the TJ mozzarella, I believe TJ's changed companies. The previous one was made by the Cascade Dairy Products in Hayward, CA. Costco still carries it in 6lbs blogs.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11543104&whse=BD_827&topnav=bdoff&cat=28587&hierPath=11276*28587*&lang=en-US

Mike,

I went to Costco Business Center and bought some Mozz.  They had the North Beach brand that you referenced to but it's part-skim milk and I wanted Whole Milk Mozz so I got their other brand called Bella Rosano instead.  

Curious do you have any thoughts on the BElla Rosano brand?  Here is the Costco link -

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11672358&search=mozzarella&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_827&Sp=S&N=5000049&whse=BD_827&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_827&Ne=4000000&D=mozzarella&Ntt=mozzarella&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=bdoff&s=1

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:38:06 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #529 on: October 08, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »
All this talk of Pendleton Power Flour yet most of us here can not get it.  Norma mentioned that she used Conagra Harvest flour before but does anyone have any thoughts on Conagra full power flour?  This one I saw at Costco Business.  It's High Gluten content flour -

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10276922&whse=BD_827&topnav=bd&cat=11919&hierPath=11121*11919*&lang=en-US

They also had one called Kyrol high gluten flour but not sure the difference and I don't see it at their web site so I can't link it here but I saw it there.

What are your thoughts on these Conagra flours?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #530 on: October 08, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Mike,

I went to Costco Business Center and bought some Mozz.  They had the North Beach brand that you referenced to but it's part-skim milk and I wanted Whole Milk Mozz so I got their other brand called Bella Rosano instead.  

Curious do you have any thoughts on the BElla Rosano brand?  Here is the Costco link -

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11672358&search=mozzarella&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_827&Sp=S&N=5000049&whse=BD_827&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_827&Ne=4000000&D=mozzarella&Ntt=mozzarella&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=bdoff&s=1

It's made by the same company that makes the North Beach kind, Cascade Diary in Hayward, CA. Should be outstanding. I have always used a combo of their two mozzas, whole milk and part skim.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #531 on: October 08, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
All this talk of Pendleton Power Flour yet most of us here can not get it.  Norma mentioned that she used Conagra Harvest flour before but does anyone have any thoughts on Conagra full power flour?  This one I saw at Costco Business.  It's High Gluten content flour -

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10276922&whse=BD_827&topnav=bd&cat=11919&hierPath=11121*11919*&lang=en-US

They also had one called Kyrol high gluten flour but not sure the difference and I don't see it at their web site so I can't link it here but I saw it there.

PE101,

I have used the Harvest Bread flour with great results. I didn't know that they have also a HG flour. Give it a shot. For 20 bucks you can't go wrong.
Mike

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #532 on: October 08, 2011, 04:44:21 PM »
Mike,

I sometimes use a combination of whole and part-skim but lately I've just been using whole milk because I read that a lot of NY pizza joints use whole milk but the combination that you use turns out great pizza.  I should go back to using a combination too.  Think I'll go back and buy the part-skim one that you recommend.

Mike you are right the Conagra High Gluten Full Power is a dynamite deal.  It's worth a shot.

Can you give me any tips on how to store such large amounts of flour?  I buy normally Better for Bread by Gold Medal because it's a small amount that I can store easily but I'm dying to try the Conagra and price per pound turns out great.   How do you suggest I store such a large amount of flour to keep it from doing stale and from having bugs attack it.  Thanks much.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #533 on: October 08, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »
Mike,

I sometimes use a combination of whole and part-skim but lately I've just been using whole milk because I read that a lot of NY pizza joints use whole milk but the combination that you use turns out great pizza.  I should go back to using a combination too.  Think I'll go back and buy the part-skim one that you recommend.

Mike you are right the Conagra High Gluten Full Power is a dynamite deal.  It's worth a shot.

Can you give me any tips on how to store such large amounts of flour?  I buy normally Better for Bread by Gold Medal because it's a small amount that I can store easily but I'm dying to try the Conagra and price per pound turns out great.   How do you suggest I store such a large amount of flour to keep it from doing stale and from having bugs attack it.  Thanks much.

PE101,

I usually store my flour in a little storage room which is on the cooler side. Never had any problems with bugs and such but since I don't know how you plan to store it I'd check in on the flour periodically to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Shouldn't be a problem, though.
Mike

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: October 08, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »

James,

I agree with Mike that Conagra full power flour would be fine to try for a Luigi's clone.  Kyrol flour is also a good high-gluten flour. 

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
James,

I agree with Mike that Conagra full power flour would be fine to try for a Luigi's clone.  Kyrol flour is also a good high-gluten flour. 

Norma

Norma, thanks for the input on this subject.  I think based on what you say and what Mike says I'm gonna get some Conagra.  Not sure the Kyrol or the full power flour.  Probably the Power Flour since it's a good one for the Luigi clone.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
Probably the Power Flour since it's a good one for the Luigi clone.

PE101,

I don't know if the Conagra will perform the same way as the Pendleton Power flour. I have never used it but I still think it can't hurt to try. If it isn't that suitable I think you can use it for other applications (bread, other type of pizza). Looking at their website I think it's more likely their Producer flour:

High-gluten flour milled from cleaned, sound, hard red spring wheat.
Hearth breads, hard and Kaiser rolls, bagels, European crusty breads,
rye breads, thin-crust pizza, breadsticks, pita and flat breads, English
muffins, specialty pan breads, and croissants.

http://www.conagramills.com/our_products/bakery_flours.jsp

Or maybe something closely related. I also think they may rename and repackage their flour for Costco.
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #537 on: October 17, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
Today, at Reply 21 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15856.msg157064.html#msg157064, I described how I used a mathematical formula that was given to me by member November to calculate how much hydration a given flour can withstand. In that case, it was the General Mills Superlative flour. I wondered whether I could do a similar calculation for the Pendleton Power flour. I know that the Pendleton Power flour has a protein content of 13.5% and that its rated absorption value is based on a moisture content of 14%, but the number I did not have is the dietary fiber percent for that flour. However, after looking at several flours with protein contents of from about 12.5% to 14.2%, the standard dietary fiber percent I found was 2.9%. I even found one GM flour with a protein content of 13.6%, the Remarkable flour, and its dietary fiber number is 2.9%. So, I decided to use that number along with the other numbers referenced above. Doing so, I ended up with a hydration value for the Power flour of 64.98%. The number that Pendleton quotes in its technical bulletin for the rated absorption value for the Power flour is 65%. As I previously noted at Reply 125 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg151643.html#msg151643, the hydration value that I was told was typical was 64.5-65.5%. In any event, the number I calculated for the Power flour seems to be consistent with what I was told by Pendleton and as reflected in their specs for the Power flour.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: October 17, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
I received a call from Alex today. and he said he sent me a sample of the Mondako flour on Friday, and I should soon be getting it.  I said I had requested a sample of the Power flour.  Alex now said he is going to be sending me a sample of the Power flour also.

I asked Alex what protein the Mondako flour was and he said 12 Ĺ %.  He said the absorption rate is 55 %.  Alex said that the Mondako flour is great for making NY style pizza and most pizza operators do use the Mondako flour for NY style pizzas.  He said the Mondako flour is a bread flour. 

I will wait and see if I get both samples.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #539 on: October 17, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
Norma,

The numbers you quoted for the protein content and the absorption value for the Mondako flour do not square with what is recited for the Mondako flour at page 8 of the Pendleton booklet at http://www.pfmills.com/filebin/pdf/technical_informational_booklet_v1-opt.pdf. Is it possible that they are sending you the pizza mix that is sold under the Mondako name? Or possibly something else?

Peter

pizzapan