Author Topic: 2nd bake in new WFO!  (Read 2927 times)

Offline flyboy4ual

2nd bake in new WFO!
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
I had a better bake the second time around.  I am learning how the oven behaves and how to manage the fire.  It also helps to set my laser thermometer to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius!!!

Scott D.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: 2nd bake in new WFO!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
Scott,

Wow..simply beautiful looking pies!  ;D  Great job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
Yeah, what Norma said. Those look great!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
Very nice! Hope to make pies like that someday!
 :)
-Bill

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
I had a better bake the second time around.  I am learning how the oven behaves and how to manage the fire. . . .

Dear Scott, nice pizza crowns! Both you and the oven have done great. Your pizza crowns seem to be whispering, "we were baked in a brick oven." Right? They will be even more majestic once, as you put it, learn how the oven behaves. Thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
Whoa Nelly!  Awesome looking pies.  I hope they ate as beautifully as they look.  You must teach us how you make you dough.  Details please...

Chau

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
Those look delicious, Scott!  Very impressive for a 2nd burn - I'm impressed!

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everybody.  I was pretty happy how the pies turned out tonight especially after the first bake.

Chau,

Here is how I made the dough:

1000 grams Caputo flour
550 grams of room temp water
26 grams of salt
1/4 tsp of ADY

I mixed all the water and 3/4 of the flour in the Bosch until it looked like lumpy pancake batter.  i think it took less than a minute.  Then i let that sit for 30 minutes and added the rest of the ingredients.  I mixed them on low for 8 minutes.  Then I let the dough rise on the counter for 8 hours at about 73 degrees.  That's how long it took for it to double with that small amount of yeast.  Then I made 6 dough balls and put them into the refrigerator for a cold ferment.  I meant to do it for 2 days, but ended up with a 4 day cold ferment.  I took the dough balls out about 3 hours before I needed them.  I think 4 would have been even better.  I shaped the skins the way the video shows that uses the face side up stuff.  I think you know which one i am talking about.  i could really tell a difference with the dough when shaping it that way.  I also saw the air in the dough get pushed to the rim  like they say in the video.  One other thing I did from my old recipe was to lower the hydration to 55%. I think it worked out a lot better than the 60% I was using.  The dough balls kept their shape better  and were easier to handle. 

If you don't know the video i am talking about let me know and I could look for it on this forum.  Its the one with the VPN training.

Scott D.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 12:21:34 AM »
Very cool Scott.  I love the look a lot.  I can see how a 4 day cold ferment would definitely help with the leoparding.  I'm sure loads of members with Bosch mixers will be trying your protocol soon enough.  I'm not sure I know the video you are referring to.  A link would be awesome.

Thanks again,
Chau
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:29:42 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »
Chau,

Here it is

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVCrqbfRJ4&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVCrqbfRJ4&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

There is also talk about it in this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14878.0.html

Scott D.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
Thanks Scott.  That was the video I thought you were talking about.  His crust when it comes out of the wfo is phenomenal. 

Chau
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:54:32 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:30 AM »
 beautiful pizzas!! is you oven build in this post?

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:34 AM »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:38:18 AM »
Fantastic Scott. What was your bake times on these?

John

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
Shut the front door. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 07:58:54 AM »
and the back gate!!
Very nice Scott!
I have Just a few questions for you please.
Were you able to use the GI peel at 55%? Did you hydrate the ADY? did you mention anywhere what cheese you use? How long was the heat up time? What were the readings in F of the thermo when you baked? any bottom shots? You cold fermented balled for 4 days right?  What temp is your fridge? Finally Can you fly to EWR and help me with my next event ? and how did it taste? best you have ever had right?  ;D
Thanks so much for your time
John
PS The framing work looks awsome as well!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:24:44 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DrivenAgain

• Gems By J.Wade
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »
WOWOWOWOW, now those are some amazing looking pies.  Dare I say perfect leoparding? Kudos to you, I bet they were tasty. 

In my opinion the GI perforated peel does work well, and does its job at reducing bench flour.  BUT, it did take a bit of a learning curve, its not quite as "smooth" at transferring, and u must lightly flour it.  I screwed up a few with its first use and was discouraged.  I know in all of the videos it does show it as a "super peel" and it is quite neat once you get the hang of it.  I scoop my skin off of the counter, I do not prep the skin on the peel.  I use it like in the videos and it works well for me.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:10 AM »
WOWOWOWOW, now those are some amazing looking pies.  Dare I say perfect leoparding? Kudos to you, I bet they were tasty. 

In my opinion the GI perforated peel does work well, and does its job at reducing bench flour.  BUT, it did take a bit of a learning curve, its not quite as "smooth" at transferring, and u must lightly flour it.  I screwed up a few with its first use and was discouraged.  I know in all of the videos it does show it as a "super peel" and it is quite neat once you get the hang of it.  I scoop my skin off of the counter, I do not prep the skin on the peel.  I use it like in the videos and it works well for me.   

I agree Jason.  It will also reveal a weak dough.  If the gluten isn't strong enough relative to the hydration, you can get sticking issues.  I've mangled 4 pies by either not lightly dusting the peel or having a too extensible dough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
Wow, really great looking pies there Scott. You must be super excited with the new oven. I agree with you on the lower hydration, I'd always been at 60%+, and now I'm finding I prefer <60%.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »
Had a small pizza party tonight for my wife's relatives from Italy!  It went well but not as good as the second bake did.  I am still trying to get the temperature management under control.  One more piece of cement board around the chimney to go and then the finishing work begins!

Scott D.