Author Topic: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)  (Read 14500 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
I for one am with you on the pickles on a pizza!! Similar to sauerkraut on pizza, quite good. If you get to St Paul again try out Savoy's Pizza on 7th and Lafayette.....BEST pie in the cities as far as I'm concerened and it is THE flavor profile I strive for on my home pies. Robust, sturdy, thin crust that rocks. There house special is sausage and sauerkraut, top notch stuff right there I'll tell ya.
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
I for one am with you on the pickles on a pizza!! Similar to sauerkraut on pizza, quite good. If you get to St Paul again try out Savoy's Pizza on 7th and Lafayette.....BEST pie in the cities as far as I'm concerened and it is THE flavor profile I strive for on my home pies. Robust, sturdy, thin crust that rocks. There house special is sausage and sauerkraut, top notch stuff right there I'll tell ya.
Jon

Hi Jon,  thanks for the reply, and for the support re: pickles!  I have had pizza form Red's Savoy Inn, and it's superb!  I have to admit that I'm more of a Carbone's guy myself, but to each his own I guess!  Broadway is another big one in the cities, have you had that?  again, i like Carbone's better though!

Sauerkraut on pizza - never had that!  What other toppings are usually used with that?

buceriasdon

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Now I am a huge fan of kimchi pizza, korean sauerkraut with an attitude. >:D   Reply 10 :  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12908.0.html
Not for everyone.......
Don

Sauerkraut on pizza - never had that!  What other toppings are usually used with that?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
Hi Jon,  thanks for the reply, and for the support re: pickles!  I have had pizza form Red's Savoy Inn, and it's superb!  I have to admit that I'm more of a Carbone's guy myself, but to each his own I guess!  Broadway is another big one in the cities, have you had that?  again, i like Carbone's better though!

Some Carbone's are better than others, I think a couple are privately owned and not part of the 'chain'. Broadway yes, good pie. The wife and I still favor Savoy's and our 2nd favoreite is about 5mi up hwy 52 in Inver Grove Heights, Old World Pizza, very, very good. Quite similar in style to Savoy's but nit quite as zesty and spicy as Savoy's. If you haven't, you should try them out!!

And Don, BIG yes to the kimchi, LOVE the stuff. Haven't done it on a pizza yet but will soon ;-)
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
Dear Jackitup,

Yes you are right, there are actually 2 different companies operating under the name Carbone's in Minnesota/Wisconsin.  One company has a single location (the original Carbone's) on Randolph Ave. in Saint Paul, and the other company started offering franchises and is the one that most people are familiar with.  The chain of franchises actually grew out of the original location - one of those italian fued things - and although there are minor differences, the pies are very similar.  I've had pies from the original location many times, since I went to college in that neighborhood.  Also, a very close family friend owns a couple of the franchise's, and I've been eating pies from the various franchises since the early 1980s.   :chef:  maybe i am biased haha!  

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive "At Five" Adams' Facebook -- Games, Tech, Politics  & more!
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »
Before I was familiar with this site I had absolutely no clue that the ridiculously common Red's Savoy/Dino's/Carbone's/Italian Pie Shoppe/(a million others)-style thin-crust was what you all called "Chicago-thin"... That being said, perhaps "Midwestern-style" is a more apt name. Yet again, from what I'm familiar, asking for a cheeseburger pizza without pickles would be akin to asking for a meat-lover's pizza without pepperoni... So maybe it's a regional thing...

If I didn't already have this type of pizza frequently, I'd try it myself... But since I.Pie Shoppe is in my regular rotation, I'm well-satisfied with "Midwestern-style." ;)

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Before I was familiar with this site I had absolutely no clue that the ridiculously common Red's Savoy/Dino's/Carbone's/Italian Pie Shoppe/(a million others)-style thin-crust was what you all called "Chicago-thin"... That being said, perhaps "Midwestern-style" is a more apt name. Yet again, from what I'm familiar, asking for a cheeseburger pizza without pickles would be akin to asking for a meat-lover's pizza without pepperoni... So maybe it's a regional thing...

If I didn't already have this type of pizza frequently, I'd try it myself... But since I.Pie Shoppe is in my regular rotation, I'm well-satisfied with "Midwestern-style." ;)

-Clive

If you decide to try Savoy's, as you said there are several now, go to the one on 7th street and Lafayette, it's the best of there small chain. As far as Chicago, midwest, etc.....IT"S GOOD. I eat a pizza and like it or not by the whole experience. I'll pick and disect a little too myself, but you can have a great crust and bad flavor for sauce and topping  and vice versa, great toppings and ambiguous crust, if you find both....GREAT. I think you'll like the 7th street Savoys, they gotta have something going when every suppertime crowd waits in a line. Crust is a sturdy mediocre crust that is hardy enough to carry the generous, bold toppings they use, overall, one of my top picks.
Jon

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »

It has to be a Minnneeesooootian thing. Sauerkraut on pizzas! Ha, disgusting to think, but it works.... I think the further north you go, the more kraut you get.

Next time for your sauce try;

1 cup ketchup

1 cup prepared yellow mustard.

And thats it. Pickles for sure, and don't forget the bacon, and shaved iceburg lettuce (after it is out of the oven).

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
It has to be a Minnneeesooootian thing. Sauerkraut on pizzas! Ha, disgusting to think, but it works.... I think the further north you go, the more kraut you get.

Hey now, as a born-and-raised Mineesohtan, I will. not. touch. sauerkraut. Go talk to Wiscahnsin 'bout that crap.

...Then again, I won't touch lutefisk either... $20 to the first person here to make a lutefisk pizza... I bet you could make a decent buck off selling the formula to Sven & Ole's (yet another "midwestern-style" pizzaria here in MN).

@Jackitup: I have enjoyed Red's Savoy in the past. Incredible sauce they have, as well as sausage, but like you say, their crust is purely functional. If I'm ever in St. Paul, I'll have to try out the location you mentioned... But as for now, delivered to my comfortable home on a cold Minnesohtan winter night from my local Eagan branch... it can't be beat.  :)

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
There sauce is awesome, sausage too.....but the sauce...........They used to have a deal where if you bought 10 pies they would 1/2 bake them, wrap in plastic and sell them to you frozen for 1/2 price. had to go thru Red though. Haven't seen him around for awhile. May have to call and see if I can get a couple gallons of their sauce to go now that I think of it, worth a call anyway. Now if anyone could come up with THAT recipe you'ld have something there!!!
Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
There sauce is awesome, sausage too.....but the sauce...........They used to have a deal where if you bought 10 pies they would 1/2 bake them, wrap in plastic and sell them to you frozen for 1/2 price. had to go thru Red though. Haven't seen him around for awhile. May have to call and see if I can get a couple gallons of their sauce to go now that I think of it, worth a call anyway. Now if anyone could come up with THAT recipe you'ld have something there!!!
Jon

maybe you should go down there and poke around a bit.   >:D  I would except that I live across the continent now, and only get back about once a year. 

have you ever tried to clone their dough?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
As far as cloning their crust, no. Better off going with a good cracker/thin crust that's been proven here. Their crusts are par-baked and stacked and ready to go. But I called them last nite about getting a few gallons of their sauce and they told me to hook up with Red in the morning at 9-10 oclock when the bar opens and he would hook me up. Should have their sauce sometime later today. Can't wait!!
And the sauerkraut thing....one of our favorites at home is sausage, sauerkraut, onion and bacon. Trick is squeezing the juice out of the sauerkraut so it doesn't overwhelm.....
Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Just talked to Red on the phone and he said he will sell the sauce for about 10 bucks for a 10 pound bag, roughly 10 bucks/gallon. Will be picking up a few bags this afternoon!

Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Just talked to Red on the phone and he said he will sell the sauce for about 10 bucks for a 10 pound bag, roughly 10 bucks/gallon. Will be picking up a few bags this afternoon!

Jon

Jon,

any chance you can try and make a clone version of this sauce for us?  Pete was quite successful with his PJ clone sauce: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.0.html

If you can supply a recipe, I would be willing to try it out and let you know what I think  >:D

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in this too... I am just terrible at picking out spices...

I actually remember having this conversation before on these forums... There is a peculiar leafy-green in the sauce, which I thought might have been Chervil, since it resembled a pointy parsley. But I'm almost certain the flavor of the sauce doesn't come from an herb...

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
Sooooooooooo......Red's no dumbass! I got 2 bags of the pizza and 2 bags of the pasta sauce, in sealed plastic bags and those........in a brown paper bag :-D. So, hard to nail down any kind of list. The pizza sauce has heavy notes of garlic, oregano, basil, cayenne and probably some kind of chili powder in the backnotes, chervil not out of the question, color was a thick dark red. The pasta sauce was thinner, sweeter and less invasive with the garlic and more solitary with the basil and some oregano, color much lighter. Both are AWESOME. Lots of flavors going on in both, especially the pizza sauce. It will be awhile before I get more and hope it will come in a box with a list!! I'm sure these are made in a separate facility of their own or it's farmed out. Very happy with my purchase. The 4 bags came to 64 bucks, a bit more than I thought but still a great deal when you think about grocery prices!

Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Jackitup1/savoyssauces.jpg

A pic comparing the 2 sauces on a plate. I ended up with 18, 2 cup bags of pizza sauce and 9, 4 cup bags of pasta sauce froze flat in ziplock freezer bags.

Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »
Tonight I made another pie using this dough, and it was OUTSTANDING.  I made a few modifications to my formulation and dough proofing method given in reply #21 of this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15203.msg160388.html#msg160388).

The first time I made this dough, it was EXTREMELY dry and scrappy, which made it nearly impossible to put together and also resulted in a very dry, crumbly crust.  To remedy this, I increased the water content to 50% based on a rough "average" of the values used in the thin crust formulations listed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.msg160335.html#msg160335.  I also used canola oil instead of the corn oil that I used last time (I found the corn oil gave me too much of a pie crust flavor - like HRI or a deep dish - which I didn't want).

This resulted in the following modified formulation for a 14" pie:

Flour  (100%)  9.11 oz
Water  (50%)  4.555 oz
Milk  (9 %)  0.83 oz
Oil  (16.1%)  1.47 oz
Egg, beaten  (3.6%)  0.33 oz
Oregano  (0.4%)  0.04 oz
Sugar ( 2%)  0.18 oz
Salt (1%)  0.09 oz
Garlic powder  (0.8%)  0.07 oz
Cinnamon (just a dash)
IDY  (0.4%)  0.04 oz

I mixed in a bread mixer for (roughly) 8 minutes or so, and then transferred to a oiled bowl.  I lightly coated the top with oil, and put the bowl into a large zipper-style plastic bag with a small hole cut in the top for gas exchange.  I allowed this to rise at room temperature for about 7 hours, punching down when necessary (about 3 or 4 times).  I then transferred the whole thing to the refrigerator, where it stayed for about 16 hours.

When I was ready to make the pie, I removed the dough and punched it down again.  I removed the dough from the bowl, placed it on a floured counter and covered with plastic wrap.  I let it come to temp for about 1 hour.  I then rolled the dough out to a 14" circle, docked it, and transferred to my pizza screen thing using a rolling pin.  The dough wanted to spring back a bit, but I didn't have much trouble rolling it out into 14".

I then applied sauce, toppings, and a mozz-provolone-white cheddar blend.  I sprinkled the top with oregano following Vito and Nick's.

Pie was baked on bottom rack stone at 550 for 10 minutes, at which time broiler was turned on for an additional 2 minutes.

The result was FANTASTIC.  This dough has so much flavour, and you can really taste the garlic and oregano in the dough.  It's a really nice touch.  The crust was very nice, and had a light airy texture on the edge where it had been allowed to rise a bit.

here are some pictures.   :chef: :pizza:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:33:36 PM by CDNpielover »

buceriasdon

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
CDN, Looks like you have a winner there ;D
Don

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
nice looking pie there brother!

Jon

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
awesome looking pizza and I hate veggies! nice job!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
Great looking pizza there, CDN!  Well done!  :)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
made another pie with this dough  :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
^^oh - I was thinking that next time I want to make the crust a bit thinner.  I'm actually not sure what kind of a thickness factor Dino's used, so I based all of my weights on the same flour weight used in Loowater's Generic Chicago Thin formulation.  However, i find that the crust ends up a bit thicker than I want it, and I think I could decrease the thicknedd by 25% or so.

Unfortunately, this dough contains ingredients that aren't included in the expanded dough calculating tool, so I'll have to try and do it by hand.  I guess I will just decrease everything by some percentage and see what happens LOL.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
Nice looking pie. And on a side note, Sat. nite the Warden and I went out for pizza and chose Carbone's, just a couple blocks down from the Nook on Randolph (GREAT burgers at the Nook by the way). It was a very good pie but we both still stand by Savoy's and Old World Pizza as our 1 and 2. Others have told me to go try Carbone's too so we finally got around to it. Will go back though, it was very good. To reiterate for others, this Carbone's is NOT affiliated with the national chain.....much better!

Jon

pizzapan