Author Topic: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)  (Read 10516 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Thin crust dough recipe from Dino's Gourmet Pizza (St. Paul, MN)
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
There sauce is awesome, sausage too.....but the sauce...........They used to have a deal where if you bought 10 pies they would 1/2 bake them, wrap in plastic and sell them to you frozen for 1/2 price. had to go thru Red though. Haven't seen him around for awhile. May have to call and see if I can get a couple gallons of their sauce to go now that I think of it, worth a call anyway. Now if anyone could come up with THAT recipe you'ld have something there!!!
Jon

maybe you should go down there and poke around a bit.   >:D  I would except that I live across the continent now, and only get back about once a year. 

have you ever tried to clone their dough?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
As far as cloning their crust, no. Better off going with a good cracker/thin crust that's been proven here. Their crusts are par-baked and stacked and ready to go. But I called them last nite about getting a few gallons of their sauce and they told me to hook up with Red in the morning at 9-10 oclock when the bar opens and he would hook me up. Should have their sauce sometime later today. Can't wait!!
And the sauerkraut thing....one of our favorites at home is sausage, sauerkraut, onion and bacon. Trick is squeezing the juice out of the sauerkraut so it doesn't overwhelm.....
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Just talked to Red on the phone and he said he will sell the sauce for about 10 bucks for a 10 pound bag, roughly 10 bucks/gallon. Will be picking up a few bags this afternoon!

Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Just talked to Red on the phone and he said he will sell the sauce for about 10 bucks for a 10 pound bag, roughly 10 bucks/gallon. Will be picking up a few bags this afternoon!

Jon

Jon,

any chance you can try and make a clone version of this sauce for us?  Pete was quite successful with his PJ clone sauce: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.0.html

If you can supply a recipe, I would be willing to try it out and let you know what I think  >:D

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in this too... I am just terrible at picking out spices...

I actually remember having this conversation before on these forums... There is a peculiar leafy-green in the sauce, which I thought might have been Chervil, since it resembled a pointy parsley. But I'm almost certain the flavor of the sauce doesn't come from an herb...

-Clive

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
Sooooooooooo......Red's no dumbass! I got 2 bags of the pizza and 2 bags of the pasta sauce, in sealed plastic bags and those........in a brown paper bag :-D. So, hard to nail down any kind of list. The pizza sauce has heavy notes of garlic, oregano, basil, cayenne and probably some kind of chili powder in the backnotes, chervil not out of the question, color was a thick dark red. The pasta sauce was thinner, sweeter and less invasive with the garlic and more solitary with the basil and some oregano, color much lighter. Both are AWESOME. Lots of flavors going on in both, especially the pizza sauce. It will be awhile before I get more and hope it will come in a box with a list!! I'm sure these are made in a separate facility of their own or it's farmed out. Very happy with my purchase. The 4 bags came to 64 bucks, a bit more than I thought but still a great deal when you think about grocery prices!

Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Jackitup1/savoyssauces.jpg

A pic comparing the 2 sauces on a plate. I ended up with 18, 2 cup bags of pizza sauce and 9, 4 cup bags of pasta sauce froze flat in ziplock freezer bags.

Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »
Tonight I made another pie using this dough, and it was OUTSTANDING.  I made a few modifications to my formulation and dough proofing method given in reply #21 of this thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15203.msg160388.html#msg160388).

The first time I made this dough, it was EXTREMELY dry and scrappy, which made it nearly impossible to put together and also resulted in a very dry, crumbly crust.  To remedy this, I increased the water content to 50% based on a rough "average" of the values used in the thin crust formulations listed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.msg160335.html#msg160335.  I also used canola oil instead of the corn oil that I used last time (I found the corn oil gave me too much of a pie crust flavor - like HRI or a deep dish - which I didn't want).

This resulted in the following modified formulation for a 14" pie:

Flour  (100%)  9.11 oz
Water  (50%)  4.555 oz
Milk  (9 %)  0.83 oz
Oil  (16.1%)  1.47 oz
Egg, beaten  (3.6%)  0.33 oz
Oregano  (0.4%)  0.04 oz
Sugar ( 2%)  0.18 oz
Salt (1%)  0.09 oz
Garlic powder  (0.8%)  0.07 oz
Cinnamon (just a dash)
IDY  (0.4%)  0.04 oz

I mixed in a bread mixer for (roughly) 8 minutes or so, and then transferred to a oiled bowl.  I lightly coated the top with oil, and put the bowl into a large zipper-style plastic bag with a small hole cut in the top for gas exchange.  I allowed this to rise at room temperature for about 7 hours, punching down when necessary (about 3 or 4 times).  I then transferred the whole thing to the refrigerator, where it stayed for about 16 hours.

When I was ready to make the pie, I removed the dough and punched it down again.  I removed the dough from the bowl, placed it on a floured counter and covered with plastic wrap.  I let it come to temp for about 1 hour.  I then rolled the dough out to a 14" circle, docked it, and transferred to my pizza screen thing using a rolling pin.  The dough wanted to spring back a bit, but I didn't have much trouble rolling it out into 14".

I then applied sauce, toppings, and a mozz-provolone-white cheddar blend.  I sprinkled the top with oregano following Vito and Nick's.

Pie was baked on bottom rack stone at 550 for 10 minutes, at which time broiler was turned on for an additional 2 minutes.

The result was FANTASTIC.  This dough has so much flavour, and you can really taste the garlic and oregano in the dough.  It's a really nice touch.  The crust was very nice, and had a light airy texture on the edge where it had been allowed to rise a bit.

here are some pictures.   :chef: :pizza:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:33:36 PM by CDNpielover »

buceriasdon

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
CDN, Looks like you have a winner there ;D
Don

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
nice looking pie there brother!

Jon

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
awesome looking pizza and I hate veggies! nice job!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
Great looking pizza there, CDN!  Well done!  :)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
made another pie with this dough  :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
^^oh - I was thinking that next time I want to make the crust a bit thinner.  I'm actually not sure what kind of a thickness factor Dino's used, so I based all of my weights on the same flour weight used in Loowater's Generic Chicago Thin formulation.  However, i find that the crust ends up a bit thicker than I want it, and I think I could decrease the thicknedd by 25% or so.

Unfortunately, this dough contains ingredients that aren't included in the expanded dough calculating tool, so I'll have to try and do it by hand.  I guess I will just decrease everything by some percentage and see what happens LOL.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:06 AM »
Nice looking pie. And on a side note, Sat. nite the Warden and I went out for pizza and chose Carbone's, just a couple blocks down from the Nook on Randolph (GREAT burgers at the Nook by the way). It was a very good pie but we both still stand by Savoy's and Old World Pizza as our 1 and 2. Others have told me to go try Carbone's too so we finally got around to it. Will go back though, it was very good. To reiterate for others, this Carbone's is NOT affiliated with the national chain.....much better!

Jon

Offline lawman

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »
CDNpielover, thanks for starting this thread and for clearly documenting what you did. I'm just starting out on my pizza making adventures and after having tried a thin/cracker style crust (my favorite) fo my first attempt, then a NY Style thin crust for my second. I did this one for my third using the following (based on your above recipe) for two 16" pizza's. I mixed using my bread machine.

Flour (100%):         630.37 g  |  22.24 oz | 1.39 lbs
Water (50%):         315.18 g  |  11.12 oz | 0.69 lbs
ADY (.4%):             2.52 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.67 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):           11.03 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.3 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
Olive Oil (16.1%):      101.49 g | 3.58 oz | 0.22 lbs | 7.52 tbsp | 0.47 cups
Milk (fresh) (9%):           56.73 g | 2 oz | 0.13 lbs | 11.35 tsp | 3.78 tbsp
Eggs, large (3.6%):      22.69 g | 0.8 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.48 tsp | 1.49 tbsp
Total (180.85%):       1140.02 g | 40.21 oz | 2.51 lbs | TF = 0.1
Single Ball:         570.01 g | 20.11 oz | 1.26 lbs

I was a little worried about the consistency at first as it seemed a little on the wet side but it did come together nicely. I left it out at room temperature for a hour. Just long enough to fill the house with an incredible aroma. This dough smells fantastic! Put in the fridge for 22 hours and pulled out and let rest at room temperature for an hour.

Used a simple tomato with oregano and basil, topped with some parmesan, mozzarella, pepperoni, italian sausage, green peppers, red onion, and fresh mushrooms. The second I did a bacon-cheeseburger (same sauce, bacon, beef, muenster/cheddar blend). Absolutely no pickles!  ;D

I'm sure I need to tweek someting but I was happy with the texture, taste, and aroma of the crust. The hint of cinnamon was really interesting and worked well. It resulted in a "bready/biscuity" texture but still had a great crunch on the bottom. So far this crust is my wife's favorite.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
lawman - thanks so much for giving this recipe a try and for posting your results here.  your pizzas look AWESOME - I would pay money for those haha!   :chef:  I'm glad you like the aroma too - that's one of my favourite things about this dough.  I agree with you about the bready/biscuity texture, and although I REALLY like this dough, i'm not sure if it's that's something that needs to be fixed.  To be honest, it's been about 12 or 13 years since I've actually had a pizza from Dino's, and I just copied the recipe as best I could from the video and I am not experienced enough with doughs to know how how to improve the texture.  Perhaps I will post this recipe in the dough doctor section of the forum to see if I can get some feedback from more experienced folks.  I'm also not really sure about the water content.  When I first made the dough, it was VERY dry and hardly came together, so I increased the water to values used in a couple of other Chicago thin formulations on this forum.  I am not sure if that is something that needs to be adjusted.  If you have any thoughts, please let me know!

thanks again for posting your results here!  it makes me happy to know that people are enjoying this recipe!    :chef: :pizza:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:56:24 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »
Dear lawman,

I was just looking back at the formulation you used, and am curious if you also included the garlic powder and oregano?  (I didn't see it listed in your formulation, but then again I realize the expanded dough calculator doesn't contain those so perhaps you used them but just didn't list them).  If you didn't include them, it might be why the dough seemed really wet to you (something I haven't noticed).   :chef:

Also:  i've been thinking a bit about the "biscuity" texture, and I am wondering if it is because there is so much oil used in the dough.  I recall the HRI clones i've made having this texture, as well as some of the deep dished that i've made.  I will have to look into this more, but maybe someone else can comment on it too. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:15:28 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline lawman

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
I did add a teaspoon of oregano and garlic powder but forgot to add them.  :-[ It was a lot more oil than I have used in the past (er... only 4 pizzas in the past). I'll try and cut back on the next go-round and report my findings. I'm with you though on not needing to "tweek" much... I enjoyed it as i was, but would be great if it could be made better.

I haven't done done enough pizzas/dough to really understand how all the different ingredients interact. I'd just make a lot of dough skins and bake 'em up to try things out but I don't think I could stand to leave 'em empty.  :chef:

pizzapan