Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 20560 times)

Offline DenaliPete

Re: Steak!
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
Cast iron steak with onion, green beans, and Portabella mushrooms.  Also accompanied with sweet potato fries and a spicy Sriracha mayo

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »
I took some 7-bone steaks (cut out of the chuck) and threw them on the smoker at 155F over pecan for 5 hours. A little chewy in a few spots with the connective tissue, but easy enough to cut around that, and the flavor was incredible. That red color is from smoke - basically a 100% smoke ring - it's not rare - they were probably 140F+ internal, so at least medium if not medium well. Despite being medium - medium well, it was a tender and soft as any rare steak. We ate it with a little simple bbq sauce and lots of fresh jalapenos. Awesome.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dhorst

« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »
I took some 7-bone steaks (cut out of the chuck) and threw them on the smoker at 155F over pecan for 5 hours. A little chewy in a few spots with the connective tissue, but easy enough to cut around that, and the flavor was incredible. That red color is from smoke - basically a 100% smoke ring - it's not rare - they were probably 140F+ internal, so at least medium if not medium well. Despite being medium - medium well, it was a tender and soft as any rare steak. We ate it with a little simple bbq sauce and lots of fresh jalapenos. Awesome.
Wow, that looks awesome!  I'm not showing the guys these photos, though.  They'll string me up for serving up soup and grilled cheese tonight.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
As long as it ain't Campbell's :o.....any homemade soup and grilled cheese is A+ eats in my book, especially if it was on some of that bread I've seen your pics of :drool:
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline dhorst

« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
As long as it ain't Campbell's :o.....any homemade soup and grilled cheese is A+ eats in my book, especially if it was on some of that bread I've seen your pics of :drool:
Why, thanks very much!  The soup was great.  Creamy garlic scape and potato soup, made with lots of TLC.  It was so hearty that just my oldest boy had grilled cheese sandwiches with it.  No homemade bread, unfortunately.  That is in the works for tomorrow.  Flour is stocked up, so Picard has said make it so.  My mission is to explore the bread baking realms of space over the next few years or more.
I would love to take a few classes with this guy, but they're kinda pricey:
http://breadhitz.com/

Offline dhorst

« Reply #655 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »
Tonight's soup.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #656 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
That looks and sounds awesome. I bet that would go well with a steak!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline dhorst

« Reply #657 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
That looks and sounds awesome. I bet that would go well with a steak!
Steak and potatoes--even potatoes in the form of a rich creamy soup with some garlic are great together!  I really should have had some homemade bread for them to wipe the bowl with though.  The garlic scapes were wonderful.  I did not add them until just a minute before I added chicken stock to the celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf and thyme, just because I wanted them to have a quick sweat and not loose their brightness.
And well, gee, Craig, who's steak does it look like it would go well with ;)  What's pecan like in comparison to apple or cherry as far as smoking goes?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #658 on: June 10, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
What's pecan like in comparison to apple or cherry as far as smoking goes?

I don't know about apple, but not a whole lot different from cherry. I'd guess it's pretty similar to apple as well.

CL

Offline dhorst

« Reply #659 on: June 10, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
Apple is definitely milder than cherry, not a lot, but enough that I notice the difference.  I really would like to experience the pecan smoke--and not just because I'm a nut!  Maybe it's just because I soak pecans in bourbon for pesto and pies. :D  But seriously, it intrigues me, the flavors that wood imparts to food depending on the wood and the conditions it's used in.

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »

Dang!

I'm sorry you had to eat that Craig! Do those diamonds come from your smoker, or did you finish on the grill? Fantastic homogeneity of pink color throughout the entire steak, as if you had sous vide'ed it!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
The diamonds are from the grate on the pit.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #662 on: June 14, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Miss Ellie says, "Ooh I smell steak!" :drool:

Offline dhorst

« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
The steak Miss Ellie wants and garlic scape sage gnocchi.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #664 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
The steak Miss Ellie wants and garlic scape sage gnocchi.

wow, that gnocchi looks awesome, i'm going scape hunting today and now I know what i'm doing with some of them
Deb

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
I really like how your fried gnocchi turned out D; very nice. My GF is from Germany and I love to pan fry the Spaetzle she often makes. Fried sour kraut an onions is pretty far out too.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
I really like how your fried gnocchi turned out D; very nice. My GF is from Germany and I love to pan fry the Spaetzle she often makes. Fried sour kraut an onions is pretty far out too.  :chef:

The steak looks great too.  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
The steak looks great too.  ;D
C'mon now Craig...you've had some pretty awesome sides here too with your delicious looking Steaks!  ;D

Good thing Diane didn't have a fancy wine shown with their meal.  :-D   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15521.20.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #668 on: June 15, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
C'mon now Craig...you've had some pretty awesome sides here too with your delicious looking Steaks!  ;D

Good thing Diane didn't have a fancy wine shown with their meal.  :-D   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15521.20.html

Bob, are comments like this strictly about building your post count, or do you see them as adding to the discussion? I'm genuinely curious why you do it. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #669 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
Seasoned with pepper and some applewood smoked salt and seared in smoking hot cast iron skillets. Salted fresh jalapeno and sliced tomato from the garden to round things out.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #670 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Seasoned with pepper and some applewood smoked salt and seared in smoking hot cast iron skillets. Salted fresh jalapeno and sliced tomato from the garden to round things out.

Nice! I love steak in a cast iron skillet, were you just switching things up from the grill? Did you salt the jalepenos to soften them or just because?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #671 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
Nice! I love steak in a cast iron skillet, were you just switching things up from the grill? Did you salt the jalepenos to soften them or just because?

Actually, I was too lazy to go out and light a fire, but I do really like steak this way. How else do you get a crust like that and still ultra rare inside yet not taste like you poured gasoline on it?

I salt the jalapenos for flavor. It's incredible if you've never tried it. For most things, fresh salted jalapenos beat pickled ones every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #672 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
Posted by: TXCraig1

That looks phenomenal!

My new Pilot Rock grills are about three-weeks out from the delivery date, but come mid-July or so, I will definitely be contributing to this thread!   

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #673 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
That looks phenomenal!

My new Pilot Rock grills are about three-weeks out from the delivery date, but come mid-July or so, I will definitely be contributing to this thread!

Please do. I think we like looking at steak almost as much as pizza!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #674 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
I salt the jalapenos for flavor. It's incredible if you've never tried it. For most things, fresh salted jalapenos beat pickled ones every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I was hoping it was for one thing else other than texture-I'll have to add this to the repertoire. Thanks.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.