Author Topic: Steak!  (Read 8536 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Re: Steak!
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
I took some 7-bone steaks (cut out of the chuck) and threw them on the smoker at 155F over pecan for 5 hours. A little chewy in a few spots with the connective tissue, but easy enough to cut around that, and the flavor was incredible. That red color is from smoke - basically a 100% smoke ring - it's not rare - they were probably 140F+ internal, so at least medium if not medium well. Despite being medium - medium well, it was a tender and soft as any rare steak. We ate it with a little simple bbq sauce and lots of fresh jalapenos. Awesome.

Dang!

I'm sorry you had to eat that Craig! Do those diamonds come from your smoker, or did you finish on the grill? Fantastic homogeneity of pink color throughout the entire steak, as if you had sous vide'ed it!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
The diamonds are from the grate on the pit.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #662 on: June 14, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Miss Ellie says, "Ooh I smell steak!" :drool:

Offline dhorst

« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2013, 08:26:25 AM »
The steak Miss Ellie wants and garlic scape sage gnocchi.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #664 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
The steak Miss Ellie wants and garlic scape sage gnocchi.

wow, that gnocchi looks awesome, i'm going scape hunting today and now I know what i'm doing with some of them

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
I really like how your fried gnocchi turned out D; very nice. My GF is from Germany and I love to pan fry the Spaetzle she often makes. Fried sour kraut an onions is pretty far out too.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
I really like how your fried gnocchi turned out D; very nice. My GF is from Germany and I love to pan fry the Spaetzle she often makes. Fried sour kraut an onions is pretty far out too.  :chef:

The steak looks great too.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
The steak looks great too.  ;D
C'mon now Craig...you've had some pretty awesome sides here too with your delicious looking Steaks!  ;D

Good thing Diane didn't have a fancy wine shown with their meal.  :-D   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15521.20.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #668 on: June 15, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
C'mon now Craig...you've had some pretty awesome sides here too with your delicious looking Steaks!  ;D

Good thing Diane didn't have a fancy wine shown with their meal.  :-D   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15521.20.html

Bob, are comments like this strictly about building your post count, or do you see them as adding to the discussion? I'm genuinely curious why you do it. 
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #669 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
Seasoned with pepper and some applewood smoked salt and seared in smoking hot cast iron skillets. Salted fresh jalapeno and sliced tomato from the garden to round things out.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #670 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Seasoned with pepper and some applewood smoked salt and seared in smoking hot cast iron skillets. Salted fresh jalapeno and sliced tomato from the garden to round things out.

Nice! I love steak in a cast iron skillet, were you just switching things up from the grill? Did you salt the jalepenos to soften them or just because?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #671 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
Nice! I love steak in a cast iron skillet, were you just switching things up from the grill? Did you salt the jalepenos to soften them or just because?

Actually, I was too lazy to go out and light a fire, but I do really like steak this way. How else do you get a crust like that and still ultra rare inside yet not taste like you poured gasoline on it?

I salt the jalapenos for flavor. It's incredible if you've never tried it. For most things, fresh salted jalapenos beat pickled ones every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #672 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
Posted by: TXCraig1

That looks phenomenal!

My new Pilot Rock grills are about three-weeks out from the delivery date, but come mid-July or so, I will definitely be contributing to this thread!   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #673 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
That looks phenomenal!

My new Pilot Rock grills are about three-weeks out from the delivery date, but come mid-July or so, I will definitely be contributing to this thread!

Please do. I think we like looking at steak almost as much as pizza!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #674 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
I salt the jalapenos for flavor. It's incredible if you've never tried it. For most things, fresh salted jalapenos beat pickled ones every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I was hoping it was for one thing else other than texture-I'll have to add this to the repertoire. Thanks.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #675 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
That looks phenomenal!

Are you getting one like you see at the parks? The heavy bars on those are awesome when you get them hot enough.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
I was hoping it was for one thing else other than texture-I'll have to add this to the repertoire. Thanks.

It doesn't change the texture or crisp bite at all, and that's part of the magic.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #677 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
My word, guys, I dare not share these beaut's with my boys.  Riots and chaos would happen until I throw some steaks on the grill or skillet.  I might be able to stave them off with some baby back or country style ribs. 

Offline Falcor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #678 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
Posted by: TXCraig1
Are you getting one like you see at the parks? The heavy bars on those are awesome when you get them hot enough.

Craig,

Yes...I am getting 2 of the 24-inch Pilot Rock Premier Series adjustable grate grills that are straight out of a state/national park...the plan is to burn hardwood in both...one as a sear grill with the grate right over/on the fire, and the other with the grate in the top position to finish meat and/or cook veggies.

I love the way you cook steak...exactly how I like it...now if I could only handle the fresh jalapenos  ;D

Adam   

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #679 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Actually, I was too lazy to go out and light a fire, but I do really like steak this way. How else do you get a crust like that and still ultra rare inside yet not taste like you poured gasoline on it?

TXCraig, Have you tried the sous vide & then cast iron sear (or the torch) as shown on Serious Eats site?
Trosenberg

pizzapan