Author Topic: Wheels on Wheels  (Read 14544 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Wheels on Wheels
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
 bill, that is one beautiful portable oven!! do you have any idea of your finished weight? looks like heat retention will be ultra efficient. can you explain the mixture you put over the insulation? is it light in weight ?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
JT, i put this on project hold when you were working on your oven.  i was ready to buy a FB dome back then and decided to look around.  yours seems to have worked out great in the end. 

ZaMan, the dome has three layers of ceramic blanket with chicken wire on top to hold it in shape.  the next layer is a mixture of pearlite and portland at about an 8:1 mix.  it's certainly way lighter than concrete but i still used over 200# of portland.  that will be followed by a stucco finish.  i'm afraid there's nothing light about this project.  i did get a "before" weight on my truck and trailer.  i'll know before long the total weight of the trailer and the weight added to the trailer.  it may take low range to move it! 
so far i know this much: the oven shipping weight was around 800#. i probably put that much more into the stand and concrete layer.  i'm guessing at least 3-400 more lbs on top of that, not counting firewood, tools, tables and pizza dough. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 12:31:21 AM »

please keep the discourse and opinions going, no threat of hijack! 
thanks,
bill

Do you have any idea what the weight rating of the trailer is ?  My only concern is that since it is a military trailer, that the suspension might be to stiff to provide a good ride for the oven weight.

I can't wait to see it fired.  In fact, I emailed them about shipping to the great State of Texas.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:47 AM »
Do you have any idea what the weight rating of the trailer is ?  My only concern is that since it is a military trailer, that the suspension might be to stiff to provide a good ride for the oven weight.

I can't wait to see it fired.  In fact, I emailed them about shipping to the great State of Texas.

Gene,
If you're interested in the oven, please let me know I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best,
Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
the trailer is an M-105. i believe the load capacity is 3000lb.  it does have shocks so i hope that the ride is not too harsh for the oven.  i'll be taking it easy over the jumps for sure. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
You'll be fine Little lower pressure in tires. My Little guy  Is torsion axle 3500 Lbs total GVW I think I am around 2400 lbs. total ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
john, check your PM.  i need a couple tools  ;D
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »
i got the new oven all cured over a week of steadily increasing fire size and temp.  i decided to use it while it was fired up to grill some steaks. i luckily had a few dough balls left over from a couple days before so i could christen it with dough for it's first cook.  it seems to work well.  i still have to plaster the outside and add some tile and a landing to the entrance.  couple of pics to update the progess....

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Wow Bill, great looking first pie!  How did she eat?  The oven looks beautiful.

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
Looks great !! you must be thrilled could you post a few floor shots for us. thanks have fun !
John

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
The oven looks great, as does the pizza! I think I need to look into that brand for an upcoming project of my own.
Is there a reason why you installed the oven opening on the left, or "street side" of the trailer? Why not out the back or curb side?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »
Thanks Chau, that pie was good.  i used dough that was probably the best i've made but 2 days past the cook day. i stored it at 57 and it still had some life left.  The oven worked fine.  i didn't pre heat it quite as much as i normally do with my other oven because it was the last cure firing.  cooked at a little lower temp than normal.  Next time i'll give it the berries. 
JC, i'll take more photos this weekend. i need to get some practice.  i've already committed to a couple of parties this month. 
Ev, thanks! i would recommend this oven so far. as far as the opening, it would have been too far from the back since i needed the weight ahead of the axle.  i thought about a couple of places that i think i'll use it and decided to go left side.  coin toss really.  i hope i didn't do it backwards!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
I'm sure you'll be fine, especially for a once in a while kind of thing. It looks easy enough to turn the whole rig 180 if you should need to.
 I've got a shout out to Matthew. He seems to have the inside line for these.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Matt has the inside line and tremendous knowledge on a lot of pizza things mixers,dough, ovens.... Hence a beautiful new restaurant, A great value to this forum for sure ! With that said send me the info on these ovens and sizes available .
John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
Matt has the inside line and tremendous knowledge on a lot of pizza things mixers,dough, ovens.... Hence a beautiful new restaurant, A great value to this forum for sure ! With that said send me the info on these ovens and sizes available .
John

Thanks John, I am humbled by your comments.  As of now, the only size that he has is 42".  He is working on the mould for a 36" to be used as a mobile or someone who prefers a smaller oven.  Terry is a master mould maker by trade & makes each oven by hand.  They are very well built & fit together beautifully.  I am more than happy to help anyone interested.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
bill, you should be very proud of that first bake.   It really looks amazing!   Do me a favor and if you can, try to let us know the final weight of this oven.  Im glad you weighed the trailer before you started building the oven, as we can get a nice accurate number here.    The reason I ask is that I have been about to pull the trigger on one of terry's ovens myself, but I have been hesitant because I really want to put it partially inside my house.  My plan has been to be able to build a support for about half of the oven weight on the outside of the house, so im really only going to be putting about 1/2 the weight on my foundation.   Still, I have been nervous that it will weigh too much once its all done.   Getting that final weight will certainly help me with my planning.    

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
thanks scott!  i'll get the weight next week when i hope to be done adding layers to the dome.  the only number i have now is the shipping weight for the oven and floor which was about 800#

Offline Matthew

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
bill, you should be very proud of that first bake.   It really looks amazing!   Do me a favor and if you can, try to let us know the final weight of this oven.  Im glad you weighed the trailer before you started building the oven, as we can get a nice accurate number here.    The reason I ask is that I have been about to pull the trigger on one of terry's ovens myself, but I have been hesitant because I really want to put it partially inside my house.  My plan has been to be able to build a support for about half of the oven weight on the outside of the house, so im really only going to be putting about 1/2 the weight on my foundation.   Still, I have been nervous that it will weigh too much once its all done.   Getting that final weight will certainly help me with my planning.    

Scott,
The total weight is 857 lbs + the weight of your stand

Lid                              13lbs
Arch                            130lbs                         
Dome                          5 pieces @ 75lbs =375
Total oven weight          518lbs

Ceramic blanket                                                          25 lbs
6 pieces floor insulation                                                56 lbs
Weight of Fire-brick floor (2x12x12)                             214 lbs
Stainless steel Chimney                                                  3 lbs
Chimney cap                                                                 3 lbs
Refractory  Mortar 2 gals                                               38 lbs
Stainless door                                                               5 lbs

Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
i'm close to being finished with the oven.  i'm working on a ss landing shelf and have to outfit the trailer to carry all the stuff i'll need.  i found out i'm not so good at plastering yesterday!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
Looks great! I can't wait to see how it bakes!