Author Topic: My first real attempt  (Read 946 times)

Offline Steveinid

My first real attempt
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
I've made a few attempts that in the end were edible. But, today I bring to you my first real attempt where the results were presentable... and edible.

I used the Reinhardt recipe that can be found here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13442.0.html

The only difference 'tween his and mine, is that I used sugar instead of honey. I had no honey.

So, without further adieu.

Offline Jet_deck

Re: My first real attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:54:37 AM »
That pizza stands as an above par first attempt. Did you like it?  What would you change about it, if anything ?  Congrats, I would hit it. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:58:48 AM »
steve;

welcome and congrats on breaking your pizza cherry

i'm going to throw out one tip that i feel is very important early on in your level of success.

stretch and fold.   3 little words that make a world of difference.   this can be used after you divide your dough.  it will give you a benefit of having a puffier, easier to work dough. also, look up chau's thread on Lazy Man Bread.   his concepts can be applied to standard pizza dough before you drop it out of the bowl

also, are you baking around 425-450?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
Thanks...

I liked it. If I was served it in a pizza joint I might be a little disappointed. The crust was a little flat and the salami was tough. I think I'm using the wrong kind of of salami. I'm using a hard salami.

As far as folding... I wasn't too sure. I followed the Fazzari thread as closely as possible. He mixed it and then said "at this point" he balled it. So after mixing, I balled it. I will stretch and fold it next time.

Chau's... Check.

My oven goes up to 550 before it goes into the broil mode. I'm using a pizza stone at just about 500. I set it on about 525-550 but the oven thermometer reads about 500. I also left it in just a little too long. When I opened the oven to take it out, the cheese was rising like a jiffy pop popper as if it was boiling inside. Not too badly though. 1 minute before it wasn't rising.

I would probably change the cook time, use a different salami, and stretch and fold. Oh, and less pizza sauce. My toppings were sliding.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
Thanks...

I liked it. If I was served it in a pizza joint I might be a little disappointed. The crust was a little flat and the salami was tough. I think I'm using the wrong kind of of salami. I'm using a hard salami.

As far as folding... I wasn't too sure. I followed the Fazzari thread as closely as possible. He mixed it and then said "at this point" he balled it. So after mixing, I balled it. I will stretch and fold it next time.

Chau's... Check.

My oven goes up to 550 before it goes into the broil mode. I'm using a pizza stone at just about 500. I set it on about 525-550 but the oven thermometer reads about 500. I also left it in just a little too long. When I opened the oven to take it out, the cheese was rising like a jiffy pop popper as if it was boiling inside. Not too badly though. 1 minute before it wasn't rising.

I would probably change the cook time, use a different salami, and stretch and fold. Oh, and less pizza sauce. My toppings were sliding.

your sauce looks like a pre-made or a tomato paste homemade.   do you mind posting what you're using?
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Steveinid

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
The sauce is "La ROMANELLA, Fully Prepared PIZZA SAUCE with spices and oil". I have one can left. When that is gone then I will start experimenting with my own sauces. I bought a food mill and am looking forward to using it.   :D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
Very respectable first pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan