Author Topic: Using Scamorza In A Blend, Please Advise  (Read 1652 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Using Scamorza In A Blend, Please Advise
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
Maybe I'm one of the few here who likes Sbarro pizza.  I know that the cheese looks a bit plastic and even dry but I find the taste and texture and the way it seems to melt on their pizzas.   I did a search of scamorza here at the forum and found some post but not much in the way of what to blend it with.  I read where Peter was mentioning that some pizza chains might blend scamorza with part-skim and whole milk mozz.  Sorry Peter if I have this wrong.  I did a search and if I read it right I think you suggest that some do blend with scamorza, and I think due to your thoughts on this I want to try this out.   I did my search yesterday and have to go back and see what Peter said.

There is an Italian market near me (funny enough no real Italian community near me but hey this is the US) and I called and they carry it.  I will blend part-skim, whole milk mozzes, with scamorza whenever I get some.  But not sure the proportions.  Should I do 25%, 25%, and 50% scamorza?  Or should I go with 33% each (I know that's 99% total but close enough to 100%). 

I know you all will say experiment and I will but what do you suggest in proportions?   

Thank You,

James

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Using Scamorza In A Blend, Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
If I remember correctly, scamorza is just mozzarella that has been dried a specific way, and hung to produce a tear drop shape. I know there is a smoked version, but if you are using the natural version you may find it melts and tastes exactly like low moisture mozzarella.

If a pizza chain was using scamorza in it's blend, I would think the higher cost associated with it would make the proportion small compared to the other ingredients in the blend. You may just try 15% scarmoza and equal portions of the other two. I might even do a test to see what 100% scamorza does in your bake to make a more informed decision on blending.

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
James,

I am not a big fan of smoked cheeses so I don't think I would have posted on a personal experience with that cheese. However, when I was working with member loowaters on reverse engineering and cloning the Home Run Inn dough, the possibility was raised that HRI might be using scamorza cheese. As the article at http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/home-run-inn-chicago-il-60623_5ch99293.html mentions, HRI was said to be using three kinds of mozzarella cheese. We assumed that maybe HRI was using low-moisture part-skim and whole-milk mozzarella cheeses as two of the cheeses in the blend but could not identify the third kind of mozzarella cheese (we had ruled out fresh mozzarella cheese). I suggested the possibility that the third mozzarella cheese was scamorza. I mentioned this at Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51762/topicseen.html#msg51762.

My recollection is that Sbarro uses/used a whole-milk mozzarella cheese. It even looks like whole-milk mozzarella cheese is used in at least some of Sbarro stores outside of the U.S. for its NY style pizza, including in the Philippines: http://www.sbarro.ph/take_a_bite/pizza.html.

Peter

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
John (dellavecchia), your logic is very sound indeed.  Scamoza is more expensive than mozz, so it does stand to make sense that they would use less of it than the less expensive standard mozz because the bottom-line at most pizza places, well all pizza places is the profits.  I think I'm going to follow your suggestion of using 15% then equal parts of part-skim and whole mozz.

Even tho it's similar to mozz and maybe even a variation of mozz I'd have to say from reading it does have a different flavor and texture, so that's probably why some places use it.  Some say it's a cross between mozz and provolone taste wise.  Well if that's the case why not just blend in some provolone?  I'm experimenting with that but I want to experience the texture of the scamoza chese, so I'll get some tomorrow.  Italian store is closed Wednesday so tomorrow will be the day I buy some when they are open.

I think you have a good suggestion of making a pizza with all scamorza to see how it is then go from there.  I'll give that a go and report back on the results.

Peter, I like smoked cheeses occasionally but on pizza never had it but doesn't sound right so I'm with you on that but fortunately scamorza comes in both smoked and non-smoked varieties.  I'll get the non-smoked variety.   Oh yes, that's where I read about the scamorza, it was the Home Run Inn discussion.  Forgot that was it until you mentioned just now.  

As far as Sbarro goes, in the US they used to use whole milk mozz but they stopped and use something called "pizza cheese", a blend of cheeses.  But in the Philippines the Sbarro there has more liberty to customize as they like and they don't use the "pizza cheese" blend but use whole milk mozz.  One of our members here confirmed this with me.  He told me so.  I think that's why the photos of the Sbarro pizza in the PI (Philippine Islands) looks like whole milk mozz.  Also the member confirmed with me that they don't use the standard sauce that Sbarro uses but he makes his own for the Sbarro pizzas.  I actually love the Sbarro sauce, something about it is just so good in my opinion.  I like the pizza cheese blend due to the weird texture and taste.  It's not a gooey mess like others but then again a gooey mess has it's place.  Back to the sauce, I'd love to clone it but so far no go.  I have purchased the sauce from Sbarro, I'm in good with the local Sbarro's so I can buy it but it would be cheaper to just make my own if I could.  I'm working on it but so far not really quite right.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:39:48 PM by PizzaEater101 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
Bought some scamorza on Friday at the Italian store.  Made a pizza that consist of 1/3 of each of the following - part-skim milk moz, whole milk moz, and scamorza. Made one today that consist of 100% of scamorza.   Let's say that the one that is 100 percent scamorza I did not care for the taste too much.   The one that was in the blend was much better.   The coloration looks very similar to that of Sbarro so maybe it's true that they use a blend that consist of scamorza but not sure.  I need to experiment more with it.   Taste wise it's hard to tell if it is like Sbarro.  I have to do another pizza with a blend and pay closer attention to it. 

I suggest that no one use 100 percent scamorza but in a blend is fine.  I have to experiment with blends to determine which is good.