Author Topic: Pizza Lolita  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Pizza Lolita
« on: July 10, 2005, 02:09:12 PM »
This is the specialty of the house - a white pizza on a Neapolitan crust. This time I used Marco's Camaldoli starter (no commercial yeast) and it was truly the best ever. Toppings include pecorino romano, fresh mozzarella, low-moisture mozzarella, sauteed mushrooms, anchovies, and the secret: a drizzle of white truffle oil after baking.  Just a little of each ingredient. Baked on 850F deck using oak and pecan logs.

Bill/SFNM

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:26:40 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Pizza Lolita
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »
Now  I can taste that just by looking at it Bill.I guess as you said "sauted",you pre cooked the mushrooms.(in a little garlic oil maybe?).Delicious!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 02:43:40 PM »
David,

Yup. The mushrooms were oyster mushrooms I picked up yesterday at the Farmer's Market. Sauteed with fresh garlic (very mild) in some olive oil and sea salt.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »
Bill/SFNM,
Pizza Lolita looks professional in every respect. Lolita is one of, if not the, best looking Neapolitan pie I have seen on this web site. That includes the photos of Bianco, UPN, and A16.

Congratulations.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 06:33:31 PM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Lolita with fresh porcini
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
Wild mushroom season has just started. Here is my signature Lolita pie with fresh porcini. I have only collected one so far - a nice fat one about 7" in diameter. The mushroom was soaked in olive oil and flash-roasted at ~1000F in the pizza oven to drive out the moisture and concentrate the flavor. The Ischia crust was about the best I have ever made. I love this time of year.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »
More photos

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »
Just one of the rare food photos that leave one speechless and drooling.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
Wild mushroom season has just started. Here is my signature Lolita pie with fresh porcini. I have only collected one so far - a nice fat one about 7" in diameter.
Obviously you have collected wild mushrooms and lived to tell about it. How does one get started doing that safely? I usually read news accounts every year of some poor immigrants who pick mushrooms thinking they look just like what they ate in the old country and wind up dying quickly from massive liver poisoning.

For now I am sticking to pizza, bread and beer making, but always looking to expand my horizons.

PNW

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »
Obviously you have collected wild mushrooms and lived to tell about it. How does one get started doing that safely? I usually read news accounts every year of some poor immigrants who pick mushrooms thinking they look just like what they ate in the old country and wind up dying quickly from massive liver poisoning.
PNW,

I saw a few dozen different varieties of fungi on Wednesday, but there are only 3 I can recognize as being both safe and delicious (porcini, chanterelles, and morels). Some of the others are  quite edible I am told, but I stick with what I know and don't take any chances. I got started by going collecting with an experienced forager who taught me how to recognize the good ones. He is a doctor. In fact, I went collecting on Wednesday with him, a lawyer, and I'm an engineer, so I think we had most of the bases covered in case anything went wrong.  :D

Bill/SFNM

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
Bill-

Your photos are looking better than ever these days! I can tell you've been working at it-any new equipment or is it the technique?

Kudos to you,

Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
Very nice of you to say, Jeff, but I still have a long, long way to go before I will feel satisfied with my photography. Although I have some nice equipment (these shots were taken with a Nikon D300, 24-70/2.8 lens, and three strobes), there is little I like about my technique, the exposure, or post processing. The thing that went the best with today's shooting was that I got the pizza in a single shot since I didn't want it to cool off. I'm determined to get better. Check back in a year.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
He is a doctor. In fact, I went collecting on Wednesday with him, a lawyer, and I'm an engineer, so I think we had most of the bases covered in case anything went wrong.  :D

I think you had your bases covered for a joke waiting to happen too.  So a doctor, lawyer, and engineer walked into a bar...

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
I think you had your bases covered for a joke waiting to happen too.  So a doctor, lawyer, and engineer walked into a bar...

That had occurred to me, but I couldn't come up with the punch-line. Something funny involving "massive liver poisoning" I suppose. 

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
Something funny involving "massive liver poisoning" I suppose. 

Not poisoning, but I was able to find life endangerment:

During the French Revolution, three professionals were arrested and convicted of having bourgeois values. They were a doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer. They were to be led to the guillotine one by one. The crowd was roaring with anticipated pleasure. First up was the doctor. How dare he enrich himself through other people's illnesses? Access to basic health care is a right, right? The doctor was placed in the guillotine, and the lanyard was yanked. The blade started on its massive, implacable way down. And lurched to a stop. The official in charge declared that it would be inhumane to make the doctor suffer this way more than once, so he was setting the doctor free. The crowd howled. The executioner checked his equipment. All was in order. He put a small tree branch in, and successfully lopped it in half. He re-sharpened the blade. Next up was the lawyer. Who needs an excuse to wish such a lying, cheating scoundrel dead? The crowd was thunderous in its applause. The lawyer was placed in the guillotine, and the lanyard was yanked. Again, the blade stopped part-way down! The presiding official once again said that he would set this prisoner free because of the unusual circumstances. The crowd screamed in frustration. Now came the engineer, a man whose innovations and devices were costing jobs. The crowd fell silent. The executioner checked and re-checked his equipment. As the engineer was marched up to the guillotine, he looked carefully at it, and said, "Wait. I see your problem...."

[I especially like the first (Surgery) joke. Note: Remove if any jokes found offensive.]
http://members.tripod.com/~B_u_d/engineerjokes.html

Offline PIZZA4BREAKFAST

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »
Thats a good one there. :-D

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »
Obviously you have collected wild mushrooms and lived to tell about it. How does one get started doing that safely?

Gorgeous pie and shrooms Bill!

I took a good field biology course in college. Careful collection, good habitat/location notes (neighboring species), and spore print identification with magnifying scope and specific selected reagents provides pretty high confidence. Tolerance to various alkaloids and other fungal compounds varies widely person to person and by individual specimen. Some commonly edible mushrooms become inedible as they age. Some extremely poisonous varieties superficially resemble edibles (e.g. imature Amanita Pantherina - AKA the death angel), can be mistaken for common meadow button (Agaricus Campestris) if the subsurface bulb is not noted.)  I have a buddy and a Forest Service timber crew he was leading that required medivac chopper out of the North Cascades after mistaking and eating some Boletus (all survived but learned the hard way.) 

The best, most safe (and fun) way is to go with experts:
http://msafungi.org/membership
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:54:11 AM by Fingerstyle »
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo http://vimeo.com/1654340

pizzapan